Pimp my breakfast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Pimp my breakfast

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm so bored of porridge. Even foraged blackberries didn't perk up this weekend's bivi brekky. Any suggestions?

(Must be achievable using only an 8g stove, 300ml mug, eating pot, spoon and penknife.)
Delv4

Re: Pimp my breakfast

Post by Delv4 »

Cheese & Chorizo or other cured meats?

Choccy hobnobs etc
Al

Post by Al »

Pimping porridge? Decant some maple syrup into a tiny bottle and take some crushed pecans.

Or you can make decent scrambled eggs by cracking them into a freezer bag with butter and boiling ‘in the bag’. Done this backpacking a lot but never on the bike.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've stopped faffing with porridge and hot breakfasts (unless it's from a cafe)

I make coffee and then snack on stuff like oatcakes, flapjack, granola bars, snack bars, chocolate, cheese, salami etc. I often don't fancy eating so with this approach I can graze while I'm breaking camp and the variety makes things interesting
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Al wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:22 pm

Or you can make decent scrambled eggs by cracking them into a freezer bag with butter and boiling ‘in the bag’. Done this backpacking a lot but never on the bike.
I thought eggs didn’t keep very well out of the shells, most guides say 2 hours, I’ve a plan to take some whole eggs by transporting them inside crusty bread rolls, I’ve also taken some of that crispy dried bacon and beans with sausages (in the same tin)
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Al

Post by Al »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:00 pm

I thought eggs didn’t keep very well out of the shells, most guides say 2 hours, I’ve a plan to take some whole eggs by transporting them inside crusty bread rolls, I’ve also taken some of that crispy dried bacon and beans with sausages (in the same tin)
They don’t - which is why I’ve never done it on the bike. Maybe someone will come up with a genius myog cuben egg holder 🤣
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Bircher muesli

Basically oats
Dried fruit , nuts , seeds, powdered milk Add whatever you like
Peanut butter apparently [ I hate the stuff]
I usually use dates, some seeds, dried coconut and whatever other dries fruit i have

You soak it overnight so its not warm

Fruit in porridge is the only way I could eat it personally
You could try semolina for a change
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Al wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:03 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:00 pm
Maybe someone will come up with a genius myog cuben egg holder 🤣
Or a plastic one. I've one of these.

I'm just going outside ...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

With a little pre-trip prep, I’m sure this should be possible:

https://youtu.be/T_U996f25fU
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:08 pm Bircher muesl
Another fan of this, so much nicer than porridge.
ton

Post by ton »

i have a small Ti plate from alpkit.
i take bacon wrapped tightly in cling film, and some breadcakes. i have bacon butties.

everything should be a pleasure, not a punishment................ like porridge. :grin:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Chocolate filled pancakes from Morrisons

Warmed up on the pot whilst the brew is on

Edible but it's no bacon and egg butty :grin:
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

Cook a full English brekkie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylnxt4-KNw0
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I mix oats, dried milk and a packet of Complan together. I only add warm water in the winter, otherwise I eat it cold. If I'm feeling decadent (or when I remember to take them) I'll add some chocolate chips or buttons to it.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Delv4 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:12 am Cook a full English brekkie?

Blimey. They're a bit TMS, eh?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

A regular hobnob is around 70 calories, so 5 of them is 350 cals which is not bad for breakfast. Lidl's own brand ones are called Oaties and are just as nice but a lot cheaper.

They are nice dipped in hot coffee, but I have stopped bothering with the stove in the morning (in the summer anyway) and started to make frappe style coffee in my water bottle instead. I just put one of those cappuccino type sachets into the bottle with some water and shake it for a bit.
Gets us on the road a whole lot faster - you can even swig as you ride.
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

On my IOW tour, I took some Rude health bircher muesli.

Was a bit sceptical at first but mixed with some honey and just some warm water, five minutes later, it was actually edible and I was quite shocked at how tasty it was. Did try it on the last day without honey and it wasn’t as nice, so deffo recommend adding honey to it.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Delv4 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:12 am Cook a full English brekkie?

Rich3rd needs to buy into this. Ive watched him do some serious cooking morning cooking on his fire stove with a tiny fry pan a few times. Black pudding and beans were on the menu once, IIRC. Made my bought in dehydrated porridge meal look right lousy. And interesting to watch how much fun he had cooking it too.
I'm just going outside ...
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Thanks for the intro TBD.
Breakfast fryup in a mini 150mm to frying pan, fry some iberico chorizo, add pouch of spanish beans https://www.heinz.co.uk/beanz/product/ ... nish-beanz and a scotch egg :-bd
Never knowingly under biked...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Summit to Eat Scrambled eggs and cheese.
Add boiling water, as this "cooks" in its bag
Using the jet boil skillet above a burner do several bits of bacon.
When bacon is ready, poor the scrambled eggs into the pan to help burn off any excess water/moisture.
https://flic.kr/p/2jBYk9E
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Using the kit listed in the op, crumpets dry toasted on the pan as they have a small enough diameter with peanut butter (other toppins are available such as avocado, cheese, smoked salmon, dried meat). Another option would be jazzing even more bits into the oats. Chia seeds and strawberries(possible to get freeze dried) soaked overnight I rate.

On the wrt I safely transported eggs in highly engineered once wood composite material that came free with them from an honesty box by the side of the road. Had a frying pan and butter so made scrambled eggs with avocado on bagels. Us millennials may not own our own homes*, but we smash a brunch.

*Unless a tarp while bikepacking counts as a loophole in the system?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Happy me, living in the country where a certain Mr. (Maximilian) Bircher invented that cereal food thing.

Our shops are full of var. sorts of mixed stuff with a cereal basis - we call it Müsli. Bircher Müsli is a specific type of mix.

There are a few of my favourites of müslis which get mixed with var. stuff and it goes roughly like this:

100 g müsli (usually 350 - 450 kcal/100 g)
30 g whole milk powder (500 kcal/100 g)
20 g Tsampa (roasted barley flour, 350 kcal/100 g)
10 g nuts (ground almonds or macadamia etc.)
10 g of anything else I can find in the kitchen, maltose, chocolate chips, instant coffee, coconut flakes and other stuff one uses for baking.

As said, weights are only rough, it's more a range I stick to.

For long trips I make some with a total weight of 150 g, some with 170 g and some with 200 g. This way I can fuel myself depending on what I'm inclined to try for the day ahead (go far, short, loads of climbing or little etc.).

In high altitude - anything above 3000 m I start to make brekkers with less fats but more carbohydrates (since burning fat becomes (even more) inefficient with the lack of oxigen/lower air pressure. In winter at altitudes up to 3000 m I'll make sure my meals carry more fats than usual.

Works great. I like to leave camp well fed and can go for quite a while before I need to fuel myself again.
When I'm on a week long bikepacking trip in the Alps where I often carry food for 2 day max., resupplying with müsli is quite straight forward too.
When the trip doesn't resemble an expedition we (girlfriend and I, when double traversing Iceland last year) (every couple of days) make pancakes with jam, maple syrup, honey (golden syrup is hard to get here, but mmmhhh... that must be good), we also used to bake Bannock bread when on multy week hiking trips in the Scandies. But currently mostly too much weight weenies to bother with it anymore.

There's also the cleaning up to be taken into account. If you, like myself, like to sleep out with a view, water isn't always close by, so eating from a pouch makes things easier and quicker.

Edit: oh... and what I also like about müsli brekkers, they are tasty warm and cold.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've just learned that the Swedish for porridge is "gröt". Seems appropriate.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:31 am I've just learned that the Swedish for porridge is "gröt". Seems appropriate.
Ah well, a subject dear to my heart. Remember I opened a chain of "Grot" shops once :grin: .

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Anyone tried these?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ety-agency

Even the EU approve.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.