Gravelwanger - what chainring do you use?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Gravelwanger - what chainring do you use?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Idle curiousity.

The Goldrush has 11 to 42T 11speed rear cassette and a 42T chainring. Personally, I find that a bit hard for "steep" or "extended" periods of climbing and/or (limited use so far) off road stuff. I have always been a pretty cr8p rider in terms of speed (particularly uphill) and very often end up dropping into the lowest combo and winching myself up. I know what I've ordered to replace the chainring (with a bit of comparison to the Gryphon) but was mildly curious what others rode.

If it helps, West Yorkshire, loaded and unloaded riding. Shorter distances than many I'd imagine. Might end up in Cumbria one day when "normality" returns. Much prefer to be offroad than on.
faustus

Re: Gravelwanger - what chainring do you use?

Post by faustus »

I've got 38t oval chainring with 11-40 cassette on mine (11 spd), Plenty of off road in drier times, less so winter. Live in the gently rolling terrain of the south and enough range for me both on and off road. Not often using the smallest 3 teeth, but i'm no road speed demon either...i'd go 36t if it was loaded somewhere hilly, like Wales.
Chew

Post by Chew »

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches

I use this to work out what gearing I need.

~20 inches get ups anything off road (anything lower you might as well get off and push)
~30 inches for road riding

Works for Calderdale, and if its works here it'll work anywhere else.

All depends where that leads you at the other end of the scale if you're running a 1x
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

50/34.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I had been going round on a 44 up front with 11-40 cassette for the last few years on my VN Amazon, but thought a smaller chainring would make sense for steeper stuff off-road. Wanted a 38t but could only find a 36t in my budget and it's been really handy when loaded up. I obviously spin out more often now, but it's a quick swap back to the 44t if I want to do something more road-oriented.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

36 oval (Sram direct mount), with 11-42. I do occasionally spin out, but I'm not racing. I can ride all of the Lakes passes fairly comfortably and mostly sat down. More importantly I can climb seemingly endless forestry drags with bags on the bike. Lower gears are much better for controlling climbing traction off road. Thinking I might go back up to 38, but would miss off road uphill winching ability.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

34/43

reason being locally I ride all the hills on 43 but once steeper I need the 34 to get to my 20gear "

I dont have a front mech so this minimises how often I have to change
The 43 is tolerable for flat and general road use
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon 36t or 38t is the number. Maybe an oval 38t and split the difference?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

40/28 and 11-36.
On 700x42c tyres, this gives me 101 GI at the top end, and 21.7 GI at the bottom.

Laden, I wouldn't mind summat lower at the bottom end. Top end, I very rarely use it, and normally do better by concentrating on my aero tuck rather than pedalling.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Dangit, I'd forgotten about oval rings :roll: Which is ironic as, when I went to check the teeth on the Gryphon to use the calculator Chew linked to (cheers chief :-bd), I see my 36T chainring is an Absolute Black ovalring :roll: :lol:
Al

Post by Al »

42-28 with an 11-36 cassette.

Gives a nice range on the road and a decent climbing gear for some of the horror shows round here.

Wouldn’t want a single ring on a bike that get used on such a wide mix of terrain.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Al wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm ....

Wouldn’t want a single ring on a bike that get used on such a wide mix of terrain.
The more I ride 1x, whilst I like it for many reasons, but tend to agree a 2x would be more versatile and probably *the best solution* for me. But, it came 1x and being so wasn't a deal breaker given price, availability etc :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Started with 40 (to 11/42) now on 38, 36 next. I can get up most things on that (in fact anything after running it 38/18 for a year!) and don't care about high speed pedaling these days.