Favourite kit from 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Re: Favourite kit from 2020

Post by gairym »

slarge wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:52 pm A Falcon San Remo road bike from 1963 - quite tatty but has given me the opportunity to do a quality respray and new decals etc (now looks like a new frame). Also been collecting period Campag bits and will be rebuilding the wheels on my new wheel building jig. It's been the main background task this year - looking forward to a couple of decent road rides in the summer on it.
Nice!

I've got a Dave Marsh* (80's) road frame/forks and various period Campag bits and pieces awaiting the time and money to make it shiny and new looking again.

[*Dave's shop 'Universal Cycle Centre' was my local bike shop growing up (like 30m away from our front door) but could never afford one of his bikes and coveted them as I watched all the roadies in their woolen kit gathering on Sundays - happy memories!]
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't recall that I actually bought much outdoor / cycle kit last year, so I've no standout items. I do like stroking my AMR Supercharger though but appreciate that doesn't really count even though I will be using it outdoors. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

In reality, the piece of kit that I would buy exactly the same again without even looking.

Nordisk Telemark 1 tent. Superb.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Mine is a 7mesh freeflow jacket. Part lined with polartec alpha, it strikes a really good balance between warmth on cold days without being too hot. Bought at a good reduction, it has become my favourite cold weather jacket.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Probably the full set of MYOG bike packing bags. Really pressed how they came out. Proud Dad n'all that: grin: , but without them I wouldn't be getting out there on the bike, I built 3 years ago... Proud 'dadv again... :grin:
The best bought thing I bought, Oex air matrix mattress Transverse or what ever, & pump bag. Give me a good night's sleep I-) else I'm a 20years older grumpy miserable old bugger ~X(
Edit
*oh it a oex transverse IMX... Daft name,
Last edited by ledburner on Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:02 pm I do like stroking my AMR Supercharger though but appreciate that doesn't really count even though I will be using it outdoors. :-bd
It was 2020, anything counts :smile: I always think a good way to judge any parts is if you want to keep picking it up/touching/looking at it :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

Easy for me - Lost Lanes Wales.

As much as I like the bike kit side of things I don't buy a lot that really changes things that much for me, I guess I'm pretty lucky in a mix of work-related product availability and low needs. But inspiring a great week-long ride on my doorstep (well, a full day's ride to get almost there counts) for the cost of a cheap bike chain? Brilliant. Even more so during a year when overseas trips were off. It's a base for next summer's trip too.

My lugged skinny 631 road frame from Lee Cooper was/is a hit too, didn't mean I did anything differently than before but it does feel nicer along the way and it wasn't much money for something largely UK-made.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Brother Cycles Big Bro ... new bike day early in the year. Could be my perfect bike as its rapidly replacing my OO Fatty as the go to for a day ride, let alone a camping trip. I want to try it with 650B+ wheels. I just know it will be orrsumz.

Ritchey Kyote bars ... just the right sweep for my and very very wide. If you want wide. backsweep and don't care about not having a loop of metal sticking out the front of your handlebars give them a go. Cheap too.

And a Topeak Ratchet Rocket kit off here second hand. Nice little thing that Ive reached for far more often than I imagined I would when I bought it.
I'm just going outside ...
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Spatz overshoes 👌
Ritchey Outback
Campagnolo Ekar

Lots of others things have been really good too, quite fortunate to get to ride and test nice things.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

FLV wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:10 pm In reality, the piece of kit that I would buy exactly the same again without even looking.

Nordisk Telemark 1 tent. Superb.
One of the best tents I’ve ever owned :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mart

Post by Mart »

Quad lock mount that fits both GPS and phone
So secure :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

My Stooge Scrambler
IMG_0381.jpg
(54.61 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’d also like to mention my salsa Fargo, although far from new and much like triggers broom, I still love it as much as I did four years ago. I genuinely can’t imagine anything better for what I do, it still makes me smile when I look at it, past and future adventures all encapsulated in a few steel tubes which were welded together in, for me a perfect arrangement.
Although I might take the piss occasionally of reg’s ancient 26” wheeled Orange, I get it. I bought my first mountain bike over thirty years ago and am thankful to find something which makes me feel like a big kid again. If it hadn’t been stolen I might still riding that diamond back.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I bought ScottL’s Orbea Occam on here, and it convinced me that I was wasting my time thinking a rigid bike could truly do it all. A light full suss is so much faster and comfier for certain rides - not to mention much more fun!

Special mention goes to the brake pads from China - buying direct from AliExpress means four sets for a fiver.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

chrisjones wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:35 pm My Stooge Scrambler

IMG_0381.jpg
What's it like? Are they making any more?
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Hamish wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:16 am

IMG_0381.jpg
It's fantastic. Like a big BMX I guess, but it settles into bikepacking duties really well too. Stooge have previously only done one production run of each frame. All the Scrambler frames have now sold, but I reckon there will be a few come up for sale when the next frame becomes available end of Feb, begining of March,the Dirt Bomb; which is a modern klunker. I know Andy has a new 'bike' in development, but I have a feeling it may be something a bit different- perhaps a steel gravel bike? No real evidence to support that- just a feeling.
I'm sure there will be a Mk 5 version of the classic Stooge frameset at some point soon too as tere seems to be a new frame about every six months or so.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 pm
whitestone wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:24 pm
psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:06 pm
whitestone wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:48 am I think the only bit of kit I bought was the Cumulus underquilt so that.

Also confirmed as the best bit of kit by the cat :-bd

That's close to £400 of down loveliness he's wrapped himself up in! :lol:
And I just love the way cats claw at things to plump them up and make them comfortable to lie on .... :shock: :wink:
He's not too bad with that on the down stuff, maybe a few seconds, then turn round a couple of times to get oriented and then it's sleep.
:-bd It's usually the boxes stuff arrives in that they can't keep out of :lol:
So true, 'turning round to orient self'? As natural solitary creatures and not at top of the good chain, I thought they were checking every thing was clear. Even inside, a basic primevil drive or concern?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

AlasdairMc wrote:Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:10 am
Special mention goes to the brake pads from China - buying direct from AliExpress means four sets for a fiver.
Are you buying a new lid and pads as well?
Just in case :roll: :roll: :lol:
I hope they are more genuine than unbranded copies in fidlock buckles via AliExpress.. :o
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:19 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:02 pm I do like stroking my AMR Supercharger though but appreciate that doesn't really count even though I will be using it outdoors. :-bd
It was 2020, anything counts :smile: I always think a good way to judge any parts is if you want to keep picking it up/touching/looking at it :grin:
Is it me or does that sound do wrong in too may ways ..

In a 'ahmm' OCD / hoarding context I mean... :-bd :lol:
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:44 am
Hamish wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:16 am

IMG_0381.jpg
It's fantastic. Like a big BMX I guess, but it settles into bikepacking duties really well too. Stooge have previously only done one production run of each frame. All the Scrambler frames have now sold, but I reckon there will be a few come up for sale when the next frame becomes available end of Feb, begining of March,the Dirt Bomb; which is a modern klunker. I know Andy has a new 'bike' in development, but I have a feeling it may be something a bit different- perhaps a steel gravel bike? No real evidence to support that- just a feeling.
I'm sure there will be a Mk 5 version of the classic Stooge frameset at some point soon too as tere seems to be a new frame about every six months or so.
I will keep an eye out ;-)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

If it not the oex traverse IMX sleeping, then
either the ti hip flask 280ml /10 fl oz= 1/2 pint!

Or the indigogo like kick starter. Alpaka fidlock belt... You guessed right they delivered. :-bd

Decisions decision derisions :roll: :-b
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ledburner wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:12 am
AlasdairMc wrote:Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:10 am
Are you buying a new lid and pads as well?
Just in case :roll: :roll: :lol:
I hope they are more genuine than unbranded copies in fidlock buckles via AliExpress.. :o
They’re the same pads as you’ll buy online in the U.K. at four times the price, but they take longer to arrive.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Some excellent Acepac gear bought from Stu: Bar harness and dry bag (16 litre); Saddle harness and dry bags (8 and 16 litres); and a 1.2L top tube bag.

All items are well designed, solidly constructed and very reasonably priced when compared to more high-end brands like Apidura, Revelate, etc. I should also mention the decent discount when the items are bought as part of Stu’s Deal i.e. harness and dry bag bought together.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Kona Sutra Ltd 2020.

Best bike I’ve ever bought. Always look forward to riding it and on 2.1 knobbly tyres can go anywhere I went on a 90s mtb.

It’s got to be pretty lumpy for me to break out the full suspension bike now. Hard tail has been ridden once and I only ride the Longitude out of affection.
techno

Post by techno »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:36 pm Ritchey Kyote bars ... just the right sweep for my and very very wide. If you want wide. backsweep and don't care about not having a loop of metal sticking out the front of your handlebars give them a go. Cheap too.
Yeah, they're great.