Favourite kit from 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Favourite kit from 2020

Post by benp1 »

I don't think we did a thread on this...? What's your favourite bit of kit from last year? Newly purchased preferably but anything goes!

I didn't get much kit compared with previous years - mostly there on kit and also didn't do many trips

Favourite bit of kit is a Zebralight H600w, gets used multiple times a day and lives in my pocket. Don't actually use it on the bike but has been used on trips

Honourable mention to my carbon Jones loops, just enjoying having them on the bike
ton

Re: Favourite kit from 2020

Post by ton »

synmat ul7 lw. comfiest mat i have ever used.

schwalbe marathon supreme dd 700c 40c tyres. just well supreme.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think the only bit of kit I bought was the Cumulus underquilt so that.

Also confirmed as the best bit of kit by the cat :-bd

That's close to £400 of down loveliness he's wrapped himself up in! :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

1) Foam grips for my Jones loop bars. I didn't realise what a difference they made until I rode another bike with normal lock on grips.

2) 2.8" G-One all round tyres on my Broken Road. Smooth and fast.
May satan walk with you
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Medical grade face mask
What a year that was!
Close second Carbon Salsa Warbird
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Early days and still tweaking it but the Titus Goldrush is probably going to have to be my fav', possibly because it's the most expensive thing I've bought :???: Two rides in though and it fits better than the Camino (TBF, the Camino was the wrong size so it was me, not it). And it's Ti :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Like many I've not been on any extended trips so not had the time to experience newcstuff much.

A cheap SingleSpeed kit turned my old 26" hardtail into a new toy. Having never singlespeeded its been fun.

A secondhand Thomson Titanium 9 degree handlebar on my Pact has confirmed to me that Loop bars aren't my thing (despite having used them for 8 years on a fatbike and 2 on the Pact previously).

Away from cycling, I've acquired a pile of stuff for open water swimming, something I'd never even considered this time last year. The neoprene vest is probably the best vfm out of it all.
psling

Post by psling »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:48 am I think the only bit of kit I bought was the Cumulus underquilt so that.

And I just love the way cats claw at things to plump them up and make them comfortable to lie on .... :shock: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Has to be the V3 camino frame and fork. It's done about 560 miles since building it up and it's been brilliant, really nice ride and very good off road. It's become my go-to bike.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Try being allergick :roll: The sight of a cat in myh sleeping gear would lead to some cussin' and then a swiftly ejected moggy :lol:

Sadly I've not got out and christened the Gatewood Cape and BB poles nor the pre-Brexit impulse purchase of a Cumulus 250.

I'm sitting here, gazing out at the settling snow and vaguely wondering about "breaking curfew" and sneaking out for a snowy bivi (might need the Trailstar and a couple of bags). Bloody Covid :|
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Does a cookbook I bought from Aliexpress count?
101 Pangolin Recipies
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:06 pm
whitestone wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:48 am I think the only bit of kit I bought was the Cumulus underquilt so that.

And I just love the way cats claw at things to plump them up and make them comfortable to lie on .... :shock: :wink:
He's not too bad with that on the down stuff, maybe a few seconds, then turn round a couple of times to get oriented and then it's sleep.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:24 pm
psling wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:06 pm

He's not too bad with that on the down stuff, maybe a few seconds, then turn round a couple of times to get oriented and then it's sleep.
:-bd It's usually the boxes stuff arrives in that they can't keep out of :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Probably my Wizard Works Shazam. The ease of access when used as a handlebar bag for days out or on the commute is ace. Will report back when I've done an overnighter with it.

Phil
@philg1971 Instagram
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Jones Loop Riser Bars. Installing them has meant that I'm able to get out cycling for hours and days at a time without my hands going numb, so I'm really enjoying cycling again after many years away.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Laurensdad wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:50 pm Wizard Works Shazam
What a glorious name!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Bought a Thermarest NeoAir X-Therm to replace an Xlite that got multiple punctures. Really pleased with the increased level of comfort and warmth.
Carbon poles for the Trekkertent from Stu's Emporium
Maxxis Chronicles. Seem to roll and grip just as well as the WTB Rangers they replaced with vastly improved durability.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm. I've spent all the money I would normally spend on diesel and petrol for commuting on kit I reckon. I think I'll go with the cross check frame which I built up as a fixed gear. Nice thing to ride, huge amounts of fun and although I built it as a commuter hack (ho ho), Jameso's thread on SS touring has got me thinking about doing a road and gravel wander later this year.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I got very little new kit last year and what I got I didn't end up using a whole heap so I'd have to go for the acepac top tube bag which just gets moved from bike to bike
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

SRAM AXS Eagle 12 speed

Although I was forced down this path due to running dropbars it’s stunning good.

It’s utterly reliable even covered with mud or submerged under water,
Cost aside,absolutely superb
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
gairym

Post by gairym »

ton wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 am synmat ul7 lw. comfiest mat i have ever used.
That's good to know! I bought one a while back but with everything that's gone on I've yet to use it in anger. :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Kit bought and used
-Osprey bum bag has been great, all my bits in one place
-exposure toro turns the night into day or some other cliche bollcoks to describe a bright light :roll:

Kit bought and not used
-MSR filter
-Exped synmat
-Naturehike singleskin tent thingy
-B2 crampons
-ice axe
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Black Diamond ION headlamp.

It's only 100 lumen and takes 2 AAA batteries. I bought it for less than a tenner in a sale as it's now been replaced in the range by a new version.

Turns out it's bright enough for running off road, has a variable brightness, it can be locked to stop it coming on in a bag. It's also got a red led which can be dimmed. Both led's have a flashing mode.

As well as using the red to preserve night vision it can be used as an energy rear light, either by putting it on your head backwards or strapping on a seat post or seatpack.

It's tiny and weighs hardly anything, if I'd have known they were stopping making them I'd have bought several.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
psling

Post by psling »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:55 pm Black Diamond ION headlamp.

It's only 100 lumen and takes 2 AAA batteries. I bought it for less than a tenner in a sale as it's now been replaced in the range by a new version.

Turns out it's bright enough for running off road, has a variable brightness, it can be locked to stop it coming on in a bag. It's also got a red led which can be dimmed. Both led's have a flashing mode.

As well as using the red to preserve night vision it can be used as an energy rear light, either by putting it on your head backwards or strapping on a seat post or seatpack.

It's tiny and weighs hardly anything, if I'd have known they were stopping making them I'd have bought several.
I have had one of these for a while and it is indeed a great bit of kit :-bd Still a few out there; these guys still have some https://www.openair.co.uk/camping-c11/b ... lamp-p6360 but I've never dealt with them myself.
slarge

Post by slarge »

A Falcon San Remo road bike from 1963 - quite tatty but has given me the opportunity to do a quality respray and new decals etc (now looks like a new frame). Also been collecting period Campag bits and will be rebuilding the wheels on my new wheel building jig. It's been the main background task this year - looking forward to a couple of decent road rides in the summer on it.