Gaiters ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Gaiters ?

Post by ton »

i want some new gaiters, to ride my bike in.
to stop cold water running off my waterproofs and into my boots.

so the best gators are ?
ScotRoutes

Re: Gaiters ?

Post by ScotRoutes »

My current favourites are Gore Bike Wear ankle gaiters but they've stopped making them. Mine now have a couple of patches where pedal pins have made their mark. I'll certainly be looking at something similar when I come to replace them as they have a good, tight fit around the ankle. Most hillwalking gaiters are too baggy around the top and are poorer at preventing water running down into them.

Of course, the obvious answer is to wear the trousers over the top of the gaiters (assuming they aren't too baggy around the ankle).
Boab

Post by Boab »

I had a pair of the Vaude Bike Gaiter long, which were OK. I had the first generation, without any extra reinforcement under the toe, so that bit obviously disintegrated pretty quickly. They do a short version too, which might be preferable, depending on the length of your waterproofs.

I think they're more for commuting, on-road touring, but I wore them XC on the fat bike and gravel bike, with SPD type pedals.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve used Mountain Equipment Pro shell gaiters in the past, works well enough (used them with boots that go past the ankle - Bontrager OMW- not sure if that makes a difference)
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:03 am
Of course, the obvious answer is to wear the trousers over the top of the gaiters (assuming they aren't too baggy around the ankle).
Agreed. I do that when I wear them. Like 'waterproof' boots and socks I remain unconvinced by gaiters. But doesn't seem to stop me going back to them after I've forgotten that they don't help for long.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I'm not sure of the make of mine but they are the half lengths ones, so just come up half way up your shins. I wore them yesterday under my trousers and my feet were dry. They do make a hell of a difference especially when riding in the snow/slush.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've been using some short ones for a while, and while they're not complete dry feet heaven, they do help a lot. I'm going to try adding some Grip Grab cuffs to the top of them to prevent run off down my legs getting in at the top.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

These are excellent and also no longer made:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-alpineduro-rain-gaiter

I got them to go with my Alpineduro boots but have also used them with flat mid boots for winter mountain biking. If someone else makes something along these lines I'll be first in line, but baggy walking or splashproof running gaiters seem to be the only options from my research.
Al

Post by Al »

Rab Latok :-bd
Not too baggy flappy.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:24 pm These are excellent and also no longer made:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-alpineduro-rain-gaiter

I got them to go with my Alpineduro boots but have also used them with flat mid boots for winter mountain biking. If someone else makes something along these lines I'll be first in line, but baggy walking or splashproof running gaiters seem to be the only options from my research.
That’s exactly what I’ve been looking for.. boo
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Yeah, I tried to get another backup pair last year after mine had a rough weekend in the Cairngorms, but could only find the small size. Just one of those things you have to keep an eye out for someone re-inventing at some point!
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I got Rab Hunza (mid)gaiters from sportspursuit a few weeks back and they have been great - they are small enough to be unobtrusive and I can now just hose myself down after wet and muddy rides.

Think they were about 15 quid but can find them in stock now, maybe discontinued

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ters-p5733
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

If you use Sealskinz/Dexshell socks the GripGrab neoprene gaiters work great and prevent water getting in the tops. Also Decathlon do very cheap ankle gaiters if you don't fancy spending much on big name versions.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lots
Cheapo ones work pretty good, if a bit sweaty - Trespass, lifeventure, trekmates etc.
ME Trail DLE - I really like these as they are a good fit and don't rub your crank too much. Heavy though. My go to for extreme crap weather.
Berghaus ankle gaiters are good but make sure your over troos are long enough to go over them properly.

Looking at those Wiggle ones, you could make some using a set of Planet X neoprene over shoes and a pair of scissors. In fact I've just wrecked another pair (toes fallen apart) so may do just that.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve been using the GripGrab neoprene cuffs with Sealskinz and/or waterproof Northwave boots and I’m fairly impressed.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-cycli ... ankle-cuff
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Grip grab neoprene ones were recommended here a few weeks back so I bought some. Ive paired them with their over shoes. Apart from the faff of getting all this on to go out, Im well chuffed. My feet have stayed warm and dry. ish.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I either use the GripGrab neoprene gaiters with my MW7 boots or some Rab hiking gaiters with XM9 boots. To solve the sagging common with hiking gaiters I use some of the trouser bungee twists that squadies use over the top at the ankle to pull them in. https://ukmcpro.co.uk/products/trouser- ... gKF7fD_BwE
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC