Bearbonesnorm

Re: For the runners amongst us.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Love that top one Greg, 'tis a cracker.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:33 am Love that top one Greg, 'tis a cracker.
Thanks Stu, it's printed out BIG at home and on the wall where I see it every time I walk down the stairs. Reminds me of why outside is better.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

GregMay wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:27 pm
PaulE wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:29 pm That's great, thanks for sharing... Looks a route I'd quite like to try in the run up to next year's (hopefully) Bob Graham...
Shout if you want any mules, I think I offered before, can't remember. Paddy planned for myself.
Thanks. Planning on going solo or as a pair with a bag dropped about half way, but if plans change I'll be in touch... Similarly happy to help with the paddy but sadly limited experience of most of the route
Javi

Post by Javi »

Thanks Stu. Enjoyed watching that with my mate.
Since I moved to Cumbria around April I started running on the hills as well.
Nice pics, Greg. I'd like to give fell racing a go.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

GregMay wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 am Dave, it's mainly down to attitude and want over requirements. The ability to run long and fast is secondary. The first year of fell running is an eye opener as you get smashed by 70 year olds who look they can glide over the top of tussocks. 20 odd years into the sport and I still get put in my place by these lot every now and again!

Don't get me wrong, you won't be able to rock up and do an A-Long class event like Borrowdale or Wasdale, but any C , B medium or short you'd be able to enter.w

Most races have some basic requirements:
1 - minimum FRA kit; bivi bag, waterproof taped hooded jacket (not Pertex), waterproof taped trousers, gloves, hat, whistle, map of route, compass (for most events you should know how to use these).
2 - weather dependant; long sleeve base layer, LS leg cover (highly infrequent that I've been TOLD, I must wear these from start)
3 - torch and food water.

To get into certain "classic" events or longer more challenging races (Jura for example) you'll need to have done a certain amount of other races to get in. Eg, for an A-long you often need to have had 2 A's or 3 A-meduims in the past 12 months. However, always at the race directors discretion. Going to be awkward this one next year.

Races also come with certain classifications:
ER - Experience required
NS - Navigational Skills Required
LK - Local Knowledge an advantage
PM - Course Partially Marked

Hint, when starting out avoid the ER/LK races - you'll get spanked by locals with years of experience in the hills - though it is a good way to learn new routes.

Problem is, at the moment there are no races happening. I've been spending time orienteering, as have a lot of us. Good to make sure your nav is tip top as well.

Join the FRA, then dip your toe in. Sooner than you know you'll want to move up North where all the decent racing is.
Always wondered about FR but then got scared off. This sounds enticing (as I bout the superlight runners BP recently for BPing and now only short on shoes and experience)... What kind of training would people suggest to get foot into it (for someone that hardly runs)...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Start by getting out and running if you don't run.
Then move onto trails.
Then move off trails.
Find your local fell running club - depending which side of Bradford you are you've loads of options.

If you can't nav off map and compass on top of an open moor - learn how to to it :)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaff, as Greg says it's mostly just a matter of turning up. Here's the list of races for 2021, https://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?y=2021, you can filter by region and distance. Obviously there's still doubt about which will take place.

A bit of research might well show up the routes taken by those near you. If the route is on rights of way or open access and doesn't have a comment something like "Only use the route on race day" then you can try it any time you like.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for this Greg/Bob... Something to think through :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I do wish I'd got into running a lot earlier. I can definitely see the attraction in heading off into wilder and higher places with the ease and simplicity of running kit.

I'm certainly interested in what lightweight waterproofs are favoured as I might stretch to some hillier running in 2021.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I use the same Montane jacket for running and bikepacking. Not fussed.
RichinNW

Post by RichinNW »

Great advice from Greg!
If you’re urban based, then find parks, commons, tow paths etc to get some off road running in to condition your ankles, knees and hips.
Cross country, tracks and trails will then lead you to fells and mountains. Fitness, skills and preparedness become more important as you progress.
I never joined a fell running club, because I enjoyed solo running and was already happy with map and compass. But I did use the FRA calendar to pick out local events and bigger challenges as my capabilities developed. Highlights for me have been Man Verse Horse, which has the same village fete feel as Stu’s WRT; the Yorkshire three peaks; and the Welsh 1,000m peaks race.
What ever your interest or capabilities, given the simplicity and limited kit needed for off road running -if you’re thinking about it, just give it a go!
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:21 pm I do wish I'd got into running a lot earlier. I can definitely see the attraction in heading off into wilder and higher places with the ease and simplicity of running kit.

I'm certainly interested in what lightweight waterproofs are favoured as I might stretch to some hillier running in 2021.
I actually prefer a smock type waterproof for running. Especially as the way things went this year my old OMM Gore Tex smock fits again. I just find they’re a better fit.

Lots of personal preference involved, I don’t tend to put a waterproof jacket on for a few drops of rain so don’t really miss the flexibility of the full length zip.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I do use my 75g Berghaus Hyper Smock for running. It always felt too fragile for biking.
Verena

Post by Verena »

I use my buffalo teclite top, it's ancient, so not sure if they are still around. Enough warmth but not too much, loads of ventilation when needed, and the pertex keeps the wind off
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

All considering where you’d be running, I’d not go too light with a running specific jacket.

How many seasons are you thinking of? 3?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

One of these
https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea ... olor=24738

Picked mine up for less than £100. Seems pretty good but the cuffs are a little baggy and the hood is not quite as good as many alpine waterproof jackets but overall, works well. Also fits over my running vest which is handy

I have some Haglofs waterproof pants in their own brand fabric and I’ve been very impressed, so much so, I’d look at that fabric for my next running jacket
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Very rare I actually pull on a WP jacket running. Needs to be really, really bad for it to go on. Most of the winter I run in a baselayer and RAB VR Flex. Spring similar but a lighter windproof. WP jacket I carry for racing is a Montane Minimus smock - but for mountain marathons (the OMM especially) I have an OMM Ather eVent jacket.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Needs to be really, really bad for it to go on
pretty much where I’m at.

Do you want to get wet from rain or sweat.

I think the jacket I’m currently using is actually the predecessor to the Aether, old enough I can’t even find an online review for it. Also eVent, not gore tex like I mentioned earlier.

The flip side to rarely using a waterproof jacket, is when I do use one they’re pretty essential and the consequences of not having one increase with severity quite rapidly.

I’ve some brilliant memories of winter outings in the Angus Glens in particular. But they’re only brilliant because of what I packed in the bag before heading off.

Edit, it’s an OMM Cypher. **** me, ten years, still feels like a recent purchase.....
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Old habits die hard. I can only go running in clothes that say Ron Hill 😀
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Verena

Post by Verena »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:21 pm Old habits die hard. I can only go running in clothes that say Ron Hill 😀
Probably my biggest/ only regret in life: Getting rid of my Ronhills when they were just old and still had a lot of life left in the them..... :sad:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:21 pm Old habits die hard. I can only go running in clothes that say Ron Hill 😀
They still make some good pieces of modern ish kit. Not like the tracksters :)
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Tracksters are only worn out once yer bollocks are hanging out the work patches
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Hmm, maybe I should buy a pair* and see how the memories stack up.

*Ronhill Tracksters not bollocks
gairym

Post by gairym »

I enjoyed that video - made me keen to get running again...