For the runners amongst us.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

For the runners amongst us.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something which might interest the off-road runners here. Those who don't run might enjoy it too.

https://filmuphigh.com/the-corris-round ... coXBjBwK9M
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Re: For the runners amongst us.

Post by GregMay »

Thanks Stu, shall have a look.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I enjoyed that. Have dabbled a tiny bit with running lately when the thought of riding has seemed too much faff to get ready...

Si
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

darbeze wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:19 pm I enjoyed that. Have dabbled a tiny bit with running lately when the thought of riding has seemed too much faff to get ready...

Si
We'll have to organise a "meet in the middle" run as I've been doing the same ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Enjoyed that, pretty much summed up the whole vibe of fellrunning. I've missed big days out running on the tops. While the Pennines are great, it's not the same as bigger and often more exposed tops.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

That's great, thanks for sharing... Looks a route I'd quite like to try in the run up to next year's (hopefully) Bob Graham...
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Cheers for sharing Stu I'll have a butchers later on, being completely crap runner but enjoy it when I do venture out
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:39 pm
darbeze wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:19 pm I enjoyed that. Have dabbled a tiny bit with running lately when the thought of riding has seemed too much faff to get ready...

Si
We'll have to organise a "meet in the middle" run as I've been doing the same ;-)
That would be cool (I think) 😊
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

PaulE wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:29 pm That's great, thanks for sharing... Looks a route I'd quite like to try in the run up to next year's (hopefully) Bob Graham...
Shout if you want any mules, I think I offered before, can't remember. Paddy planned for myself.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I enjoyed that :-bd Is it being called Tom that gives theses nippers so much energy :smile:
GregMay wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:27 pm Paddy planned for myself.
I've recently ordered the Harvey's map for the Paddy but I'm thinking more fastpacking than a run round, good luck.

I'd love to attempt one of the big rounds but realistically I'm not that good a runner and luckily I'm too old to have to train up to prove I'm not :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Saw this earlier. Great film. :-bd
Matt

Post by Matt »

Loved it :-bd

Cheers Stu
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Cheers Stu will take a watch and have shared too.

Pretty much my ideal duration/distance for a long run that. Makes for a brilliant day out but doesn’t destroy you for weeks/months.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

GregMay wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:27 pm
PaulE wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:29 pm That's great, thanks for sharing... Looks a route I'd quite like to try in the run up to next year's (hopefully) Bob Graham...
Shout if you want any mules, I think I offered before, can't remember. Paddy planned for myself.

Nice, when are you planning on going? I remember running in the Angus Glens with someone that’s done it, sounded like it’d not developed a clear “line” in the same way as the BGR. Although I don’t think too many had done it by that point. I’m sure there’s a resident of this forum that’s also got a round under his belt but don’t want to name him in case I’ve got that wrong.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It'll be end of May, or Mid June depending on how weather is. Had planned to go this year, but opted not to travel into Wales when it was all a bit uncertain. Being a teacher I'm a liable potential spreader!
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Nice long days and a reasonable chance of being dry but not too dry and not too hot.

I just double checked the route out of interest, and I’ve run* every one of the hills. Not all at once mind you :grin:

I can’t quite place the line from Llanberis to Elidr Fawr, does it follow one of the quarry inclines?

* in that way that a mid pack runner runs
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Piemonster wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:48 pm
I can’t quite place the line from Llanberis to Elidr Fawr, does it follow one of the quarry inclines?
It's dependant on the runner. Line I've taken on reccies and supportis rounds is somewhat cheeky. Out of Llanberis, over to bottom of the Vivian, onto the walled path up to the main cutting shd by Busstop, through kissing gate, hop the gate at the bottom of the tramine, run UP the tramline on the slabs (brutal),

ImageUntitled by Greg.May, on Flickr

stay on it until it runs out, then trend right to another cutting shed at tier 5 I think, then up on the really dodgy staircase (Foxes path IIRC), up, up some more, pop out at the "road" cross directly, follow a really faint trod until you junction the path onto Elidr Fawr.

I used to live near by so that is committed to memory :)
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Just watched the film, loved that.

Greg, I’m pretty envious if I’m honest. The hills of Wales were my introduction to mountains and are quite an emotive place. The BGR never really triggered anything but the PBR and RR do.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Agree. PBR and RR are a whole different game to the BGR. Tranters round is another that needs doing at some point.

Fell running just has a lot less faff than pretty much any other sport I do, bouldering is close, but not quite.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It used to be reckoned that you needed 2 hours in hand for both the Paddy and Ramsay Rounds when compared to a BG time.

I've attempted the Paddy - a bit of a disaster in organisation and execution not helped by a storm on the Nantlle Ridge :shock: The ground is mostly OK apart from the ridge between Moel Siabod and the Moelwyn which a boggy hell between indeterminate lumps and the traverse over Yr Gyrn (between Moel Hebog and the Nantlle Ridge) which is really rough underfoot.

I never tried the Ramsay but helped out on a few attempts and successes - the shot on the cover of the Harvey's map is mine.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Agree, the Moelwyns are pretty brutal.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m now up to 10 miles off-road with 2-3000 ft climbing on coast path tracks. Is that getting there for fell running? Keen to give it a go but have zero experience
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Easily, there isn’t really a defined entry level, and with that distance/ascent I’d just crack on and enjoy.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave, fell running is one of the most inclusive and lowest bar of entry sports there is. Some of the longer more serious races require you to show that you have fell running experience but other than those it's a case of turn up on the day and pay your money* and you're in! You are just as likely to be lining up against a British champion as you are against your mate.

* some are pre-entry but the event details on the FRA site will tell you this.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Dave, it's mainly down to attitude and want over requirements. The ability to run long and fast is secondary. The first year of fell running is an eye opener as you get smashed by 70 year olds who look they can glide over the top of tussocks. 20 odd years into the sport and I still get put in my place by these lot every now and again!

Don't get me wrong, you won't be able to rock up and do an A-Long class event like Borrowdale or Wasdale, but any C , B medium or short you'd be able to enter.w

Most races have some basic requirements:
1 - minimum FRA kit; bivi bag, waterproof taped hooded jacket (not Pertex), waterproof taped trousers, gloves, hat, whistle, map of route, compass (for most events you should know how to use these).
2 - weather dependant; long sleeve base layer, LS leg cover (highly infrequent that I've been TOLD, I must wear these from start)
3 - torch and food water.

To get into certain "classic" events or longer more challenging races (Jura for example) you'll need to have done a certain amount of other races to get in. Eg, for an A-long you often need to have had 2 A's or 3 A-meduims in the past 12 months. However, always at the race directors discretion. Going to be awkward this one next year.

Races also come with certain classifications:
ER - Experience required
NS - Navigational Skills Required
LK - Local Knowledge an advantage
PM - Course Partially Marked

Hint, when starting out avoid the ER/LK races - you'll get spanked by locals with years of experience in the hills - though it is a good way to learn new routes.

Problem is, at the moment there are no races happening. I've been spending time orienteering, as have a lot of us. Good to make sure your nav is tip top as well.

Join the FRA, then dip your toe in. Sooner than you know you'll want to move up North where all the decent racing is.