Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've just finished three back-to-back days of online conferences which would normally have been held in lovely hotel in a glamorous city. Six hours each day but been online and 14-16 hours daily since Monday. Done now. Total success mostly.

I am about to have a beer. It will be sweet. Yah for Friday.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

'hotel', Tim? Just looked that up and going to have to have a beer whilst battling with the concept. Is it something that wives/significantothers like to do do you think? If so I shall circumspectly approach Mrs Perrin. I would imagine most such establishments are amply provided with trees, ditches etc so at least I shall be able to accompany her on any visit. As far as the entrance anyway :grin:
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Smalltown Supersound sent through a replacement copy of Kelly Lee Owens vinyl, after the one I bought was scratched. They also sent a 2x12" LP of Gode by André Bratten and a branded slipmat. Tomorrow's listening sorted...

Oh, and I've just taken part in a remote recording of an episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Oh Reg ,... you big silly. I was at my kitchen table the whole time, I suspect Mrs Perrin would largely bridle at the idea of having A Reg under her feet while she gets on with the Yuletide preparations. Ditches ... or dishes .... your call, sir.

Beer. Just one. Sweet as a nut.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: Luv ya.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

Had my first covid jab today, that makes for a happy Friday :grin: Plus I have a pass for a proper bike ride tomorrow, and the weather looks good, happy days :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:17 pm Had my first covid jab today, that makes for a happy Friday :grin: Plus I have a pass for a proper bike ride tomorrow, and the weather looks good, happy days :-bd

Blimey. First 'Boner?

And "in other news": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnfqXf2X-w. Absolutely no connection to anything other than this is the Cheery Friday thread. Really, what better way to spend a spare afternoon?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 pm
Blimey. First 'Boner?

And "in other news": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnfqXf2X-w. Absolutely no connection to anything other than this is the Cheery Friday thread. Really, what better way to spend a spare afternoon?
:grin: yep, right up there with watching paint dry

I'm touched Reg, no-one has ever called me a boner before, thank you :cry:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 pm a boner
'course you are! Fully paid-up and everything. You've been swept into the BaM whirlpool? Don't forget your Four Season Legion badge to aim for. Everyone likes a badge.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Everyone likes a badge.
Apart from Mexican bandits.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sigh!

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 pm
Verena wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 pm a boner
'course you are! Fully paid-up and everything. You've been swept into the BaM whirlpool? Don't forget your Four Season Legion badge to aim for. Everyone likes a badge.
I'll re read the rules and start properly again in January... Pretty sure I've done one every month this year, but not been posting them here, and a few were in my garden in lockdown...
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

YAY, Last night shift and 6 off :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Verena wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:32 pm I'll re read the rules and start properly again in January... Pretty sure I've done one every month this year, but not been posting them here, and a few were in my garden in lockdown...
Lockdown garden bivis were allowed this year under the emergency rules. You can always post up a summary of your bivis in the BAM thread if you want to claim this year, I can go back through Strava and my photos to check when mine were, surely everyone takes at least one photo of their loaded bike on every trip? :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

^ This.
Plenty of folk post up with their reports quite late, I don't think anyone has a problem with it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just noticed that Rule 6 says you don't even have to post at all, which sort of seems nicely in the spirit of the general madness of BaM. But if you DO post, Rule 5 states "one post for each month". Having done a couple of counts in the past, I have to say that late posts or combined posts make it a bit harder to tally up who's done what, but again that's probably an essential part of the mayhem as well.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like to think that many things we do, work on a system of honour. I could be wrong but to my knowledge, that system has so far never failed us ... that makes me happy. Cheery Saturday anybody? :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Seconded. If there'd been any rules to anything in This Place, my life would have been a hell of a lot more dull than it is. And, er, my life is, er, quite dull. Oh.

RIP

Post by RIP »

It's a bit like riding around during a BBB event, one never quite knows what's going to happen next.

The nearest someone has come to "defining" the feeling, is my hero (no, I don't have heroes, but if I did, he would be) Steven Wright:

“You know when you're sitting on a chair and you lean back so you're just on two legs and you lean too far so you almost fall over but at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time...”

AndreR

Post by AndreR »

K1100T wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 pm Smalltown Supersound sent through a replacement copy of Kelly Lee Owens vinyl, after the one I bought was scratched. They also sent a 2x12" LP of Gode by André Bratten and a branded slipmat. Tomorrow's listening sorted...

Oh, and I've just taken part in a remote recording of an episode of the Infinite Monkey Cage.
:-bd brilliant program!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Last day of term 1 teaching (Further Education)for me. It's been even more of a pain in the ar$e than normal due to the you know what. This week has been remote teaching. Out of my 18 1st years, 9 attended & out of 9 2nd years, 0 attended. No doubt I'll have to explain why they never logged on to the bosses on my return! And there's another remoter week on our return!

Fingers crossed for some fine winter weather in the next 16 days though.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Finished work yesterday nit back till the 4th :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Today is my last day of work this year :smile:

Tonight I'll be strapping the bags to the bike ready for tomorrows Socially Distant Christmas Lights/Cycle Quest/Bushcraft Solo Winter Bivi*. This will be in the woodland at my mum's and I deposited my beer at hers ready when I did her weekly shop yesterday :grin:

And as an added bonus, last night I was thinking this is the first year in ages that I've not ridden an off-road century :sad: but I looked at my veloviewer and noticed I'd done a 188 mile ride? Cue light bulb moment when I remembered the Cairngorm Loop :-bd

* Back in BC (before covid) I had worked out that Leighton Buzzard was only 99 miles riding from the ferry whereas last year the Dartmoor bivi was just under 150 miles so I had planned to ride north this year but Covid put a stop to that :sad: Hopefully this time next year on cheery Friday I'll be on my way to bivi with Reg and the gang and posting from a cafe on the way :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I volunteer at the seawater swimming pool in Brixham and have taken responsibility for operations and infrastructure. It’s mostly bureaucratic pain but today I was on site with big boy tools drilling cores into a concrete deck and finding voids. It was the best treasure hunt ever as we found three and I got to stroke my beard looking at rocks wearing hi viz in the rain like a proper civil engineer
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:49 pm
* Back in BC (before covid) I had worked out that Leighton Buzzard was only 99 miles riding from the ferry whereas last year the Dartmoor bivi was just under 150 miles so I had planned to ride north this year but Covid put a stop to that :sad: Hopefully this time next year on cheery Friday I'll be on my way to bivi with Reg and the gang and posting from a cafe on the way :smile:
The pleasure would be all ours Sean :-bd . I'm hoping travel can be sorted by next summer so we can come and dip our toes on Shanklin beach too.

Not a cheery Friday here 'cos just had an email from BT saying "oh, time to renew your Line Rental Saver" (all of about £20/yr I think, but still) then the small print says from now on we have to have BT broadband as well or no line rental saver! Taking the p1ss or what.