Grumpy old men

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Grumpy old men

Post by lune ranger »

Progress is good. Newer better designs etc. are not bad in themselves. However change at the cost of longevity, durability and compatibility isn’t a good thing. Having to upgrade a whole bike for the sake of a single broken component is wasteful. Trickling in change is also wasteful, did companies really need to go from 10 to 11 speed in the way to 12 when everyone knows it’s coming.
The problem I suppose isn’t the new standards but the new stuff in general - consumers greed for it and businesses constant quest to ‘grow’
I’m having a very long and boring dealing with a bike company who are not providing replacement derailleur hangers for a road bike I have. They are not made by anyone else. A whole bike is useless because the manufacturer has no eye for its past products, only what it can sell new.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The problem I suppose isn’t the new standards but the new stuff in general - consumers greed for it and businesses constant quest to ‘grow’
This :-bd

How many times have you bought a product - could be anything, not just bike related - and you're really happy with it. Once it finally wears out or breaks, you replace with the 'same' yet, newer model. The new 'improved' version turns out to be sh1te and all the 'improvements' have actually made the product harder to use, less practical, more fragile, etc, etc. New stuff that's better is fine but change simply for the sake of change in an effort to produce even more sales, is rarely a good thing.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Progress gave us disc brakes - I can pretty much forgive all the other bobbins for that one advance :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

I’m having a very long and boring dealing with a bike company who are not providing replacement derailleur hangers for a road bike I have. They are not made by anyone else. A whole bike is useless because the manufacturer has no eye for its past products, only what it can sell new.
In Kathmandu 2017 we got a hanger made for a bike, in brass, in about 3 hours between someone sending a runner out with the broken one and the item coming back. There will be a local machinist where you are who could do it rather than scrapping a bike.

(but yes I agree, companies not prioritising spares support boils my ---)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jameso wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:07 pm
In Kathmandu 2017 we got a hanger made for a bike, in brass, in about 3 hours between someone sending a runner out with the broken one and the item coming back. There will be a local machinist where you are who could do it rather than scrapping a bike.

No way do I want the bike to go.
I’m pursuing the bike seller to get the hanger made for me....
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:13 pm
jameso wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:07 pm

No way do I want the bike to go.
I’m pursuing the bike seller to get the hanger made for me....
What hanger / frame is it? On the off-chance it's a stock one and I have a 2D file for it. Pm if you like.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/photo-help/

You can send a pic of it to BETD and they will match it - possibly even make it for you

That said its pretty poor form to not have them from the bike manufacturer - will they not even give you drawings or say who made them? they must have acces to the files

If they wont do that i say name and shame as I would also like to avoid buying from them as they are obviously not very helpful

i may forgive them if the bike is 25 years old :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks for the offers.
The bike is a Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005. Mine is from 2011, they sold until 2016 so not exactly ancient.
The hanger is OEM. Exhaustive efforts to find a match have failed.
To be fair to Ribble after much email tennis they said they managed to find the drawings and were tapping up BETD to make some to stock. The reality is that it’s taken more than 7 months.
One poor soul in their customer relations department is getting weekly emails reminding them I haven’t gone away! He’s staying remarkably chirpy all things considered :lol:
That reminds me... must send them a Christmas message.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Its local to me I could nip and pretend to be you !
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:43 pm Its local to me I could nip and pretend to be you !
After 48 emails they know me quite well. They’d probably spot you as an imposter!
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ribble, like this?
https://i0.wp.com/cycletechreview.com/w ... jpg?w=1920

Looks like UAT A1692 if so. P11 of this pdf. http://www.al-alloy.com.tw/upload/Produ ... 613885.pdf
A hanger's often used across a few dropouts made by the same supplier.

This I realise is little help in being able to buy one... but may help BETD if you went direct. Unf the pdf doesn't have dimensions. but they might be able to ID it. Looks a lot like this apart from the lower front corner, a file may sort it.https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.u ... hanger-76/

(sad I know but we got quite good at hunt the hanger after Evans stock of hangers 'lagged' a bit)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks for looking James.
It’s the right bike. That hanger is not quite right. I already got one, and another from eBay.
A dremel could maybe get the eBay one working.
Apparently Ribble are expecting a batch of hangers for approval ‘soon’
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Talking of evans lagging somewhat on hangers, has anyone tried the eBay alleged bgrd-8 equivalents?