New bikepacking bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Re: New bikepacking bike

Post by Chew »

I'm sure there will be plenty of different bike to have a look at before the start on Saturday for a bit of inspiration.

Only heard issues with press fit BB's. Not commonly available and not the easiest to fit/remove for something which is going to be a consumable part. Personally i'd stick with either Hollowtech for cheapness and ease or squaretaper for reliability
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

composite wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:I'm currently looking at buying one of those cheap Chinese carbon 29er frames and taking everything off the El Mariachi to build it up.
I was looking at one of these for a good while and was almost about to take the the plunge when On One had their crazy Lurcher sale so I went for one of those instead.
Yeah - but that would mean buying from On One and that's something I'll never do again. YMMV.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I believe there are Press-Fit to Threaded BB adapters.
composite

Post by composite »

ScotRoutes wrote:I believe there are Press-Fit to Threaded BB adapters.
For BB92?

EDIt: Like this one! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Press-F ... 0876315339

Although I don't understand it. Wouldn't there need to be a thread on the outside?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Blackhound wrote:Seen a few negative comments regarding press fit bb's but I have no knowledge of them. Inclined to avoid but is this a few vociferous people who installed them with rocks? Any views? ( I would still happily use square taper)
My Kona has a PF30 BB.
Its not the best thing ever for sure, its certainly the single thing that annoys me on the whole bike!
Basically, its a slightly bigger SRAM spec BB30, slacker toleranced etc. Its designed to have a plastic sheathed BB pressed into it and used with a 30mm spindle chainset such as a SRAM BB30 chainset.
I had one of these cranks, an X0 and the little bearing pre-load doofer kept coming loose over a few hundred miles and letting the crank move side to side a few mm. I could feel it. Combine that with needing a 10mm Allen key to remove / tighten the crank, which a big spare to carry and I had seen enough.

I am now using a KCNC adaptor to fit a shimano chainset in it. It worked ok so far, but has started (300 miles ish) needing a regular re-copper slip to stop the whole thing creaking. This has coincided with the wet weather...
I've now ordered a Praxis works BB, which hopefully will last better. If that dosnt work, I'll be designing a new one...

For normal sized pressfit stuff, hope now make a BB which whilst expensive looks a technically good solution.

What that all tells you I'm not sure...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Maybe easier to see how it works with this SRAM one

FLV

Post by FLV »

Hope ones,

Not for BB30 or PF30, but are fine for the other BB92 etc

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/02/26/fro ... m-bracket/
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG474
Ian

Post by Ian »

FLV wrote:BB30 or PF30 ... BB92 etc
Bugger me, that sounds complicated. Glad I'm still in the dark ages with square taper!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ian wrote:
FLV wrote:BB30 or PF30 ... BB92 etc
Bugger me, that sounds complicated. Glad I'm still in the dark ages with square taper!
When you need to know... I'm here for you, like a one man support group :)