Rohloff chainset ??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Rohloff chainset ??

Post by lune ranger »

Does anyone know the German word for Panda?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Hi woodsmith, sorry for insinuating that you didnt read or understand it. We have drawn different conclusions from the article. I scan read it, henc TL:RL, toolong:read later and concertrated on the aspect that elliptical Chainrings in the extreme case, cause strong changes in pedalling cadence thus strain on the knees. Also biopace was 90° out of phase with every body before and since... Antedotal evidence says 'Most people said it was weird and crap'. Sheldon Brown, (bless his toe clips, where ever he is now, podalling nirvana, is still a revered Internet authority).
It will read fully and revise my answer eat humble pie etc.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:12 pm Does anyone know the German word for Panda?
According to Microsoft translate ap, in most European languages it is Panda, same spelling..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Sehr gut :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Crikey, that escalated quickly, and about one of the most boring things in MTB (well two) - oval rings and rohloffs* :lol:

* steady, I'm only pulling yer leg :wink:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ledburner wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:24 am Hi woodsmith, sorry for insinuating that you didnt read or understand it. We have drawn different conclusions from the article. I scan read it, henc TL:RL, toolong:read later and concertrated on the aspect that elliptical Chainrings in the extreme case, cause strong changes in pedalling cadence thus strain on the knees. Also biopace was 90° out of phase with every body before and since... Antedotal evidence says 'Most people said it was weird and crap'. Sheldon Brown, (bless his toe clips, where ever he is now, podalling nirvana, is still a revered Internet authority).
It will read fully and revise my answer eat humble pie etc.
Hi Ledburner. Sorry for the snarky comment. I was interested to read your positive experience with them. Perhaps one day when I can afford to experiment more with gear I'll give them a go.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:17 pm Crikey, that escalated quickly, and about one of the most boring things in MTB (well two) - oval rings and rohloffs* :lol:

It's true, Rohloffs are incredibly dull. No long discussions about cassettes or compatability. No bitching about how badly brand X indexes, no tall tales about how that rock wrecked your derailleur in the middle of nowhere........ Dull, dull, dull.

* steady, I'm only pulling yer leg :wink:
ton

Post by ton »

i am at that age where i am very comfy being in the dull range............... :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I suspect you're many things chap, but not dull :wink:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:28 pm
ledburner wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:24 am Hi woodsmith, sorry for insinuating that you didnt read or understand it. We have drawn different conclusions from the article. I scan read it, hence TL:RL, too long:read later...
I'll will read fully and revise my answer eat humble pie etc.
Hi Ledburner. Sorry for the snarky comment. I was interested to read your positive experience with them. Perhaps one day when I can afford to experiment more with gear I'll give them a go.
No worries, I drew a different conclusion. In my opinion, It seems biased towards Biopace.. (Maybe the business has a lot of old stock, when originally written? :lol:) Or they don't experience UK like condition - usually for the ground to be damp and slow to dry, so traction is less of an issue, the article favours favours spinning).
I find I spin on the roads, but am less inclined to do on hills or more demanding terrain,but moderately oval rings help
They work for me. I've notice, I manage to ride hills, I can't ride up on round rings. That's on both bikes, good
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:28 pm
ledburner wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:24 am Hi woodsmith, sorry for insinuating that you didnt read or understand it. We have drawn different conclusions from the article. I scan read it, hence TL:RL, too long:read later...
I'll will read fully and revise my answer eat humble pie etc.
Woodsmith, no worries, I drew a different conclusion. In my opinion, It seems biased towards Biopace.. (Maybe the business has a lot of old stock, when originally written? :lol:) Or they don't experience UK like conditions 'all season in a weekend' - wet & damp , so frequently variable traction is less of an issue, the article favours favours spinning). He was mainly a tourist/ audax'er.
I find I spin on the roads, but. am less inclined to do on hills or more demanding terrain, but moderately oval rings help maintain this style of riding.

They work for me. I've notice, I manage to ride hills, I can't ride up on round rings. That's on both bikes, good enough evidence for me.

If our paths cross I let you have a 'sniff'!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

As someone old enough to have experienced biopace, it was utter poor show. The rings were more of a rhomboid shape than oval and produced a very odd lumpy feeling when pedalling. They were quickly binned in favour of normal rings, my absolute black oval rings were, as you can imagine a leap of faith but feel MORE round than round rings
If that makes any sense.
AB rings are the only oval rings I’ve tried but I like them lots.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Thanks for your feedback, on Biopace.
I use both Absolute black.cc oval *chain ring &
Blackspire.com.
Both good, I can not tell a difference, on special offer at CRC and local bikeshop..
* technically they are elliptical.
I get my hat & Anorak....