For those who use Exposure lights.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

For those who use Exposure lights.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just a quick question if you would. What's the longest trip or ride you've completed without having to recharge and what model light was it?

Ta muchly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Re: For those who use Exposure lights.

Post by pistonbroke »

Do you mean where the light has been switched on constantly at a level sufficient to see where you are going and not including Revos? Sorry for being thick but I've taken my Joystick and Revo all over the place but most of my riding has been done in daylight :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, I've not really made that very clear Duncan. What I mean is, what length of trip (week, month) that includes some night riding, have you got from your Exposure without recharging eg, I rode the HT over 6 days with a Six Pack, riding an average of 4 hours in the dark each day.

No Revo doesn't count. Nor does flying to NZ for 5 months with a Joystick in your bag. :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Erm, Ian's Cambrian Trail, Mk2 Sixpack. April 500k.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

10 days

Six pack mk10

Using it when I needed which wasn't a great deal.

4 days trip, using it most nights. Still had 50% left.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:05 pm , I rode the HT over 6 days with a Six Pack, riding an average of 4 hours in the dark each day.
A 6 pack gives 30 hours of trail-useable light. That's most amazing... What setting/lumens was that on please Stu. Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf, that was just an example for the hard of understanding, it wasn't my personal experience ... although it actually sounds totally feasible.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:28 pm Shaf, that was just an example for the hard of understanding, it wasn't my personal experience ... although it actually sounds totally feasible.
If you added a biggish reserve cell you could probably get 50hrs or more useful light from a 6 Pack.
Some folk can get by with a Joystick on the 36hr setting. No where near enough for me by itself. I have to have the worst night vision possible and inadequate light just seems to make it worse. If I add a Revo to the mix it’s ok though. I’ve done all my ITT through the night rides like that.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:15 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:05 pm , I rode the HT over 6 days with a Six Pack, riding an average of 4 hours in the dark each day.
A 6 pack gives 30 hours of trail-useable light. That's most amazing... What setting/lumens was that on please Stu. Thanks
My Mk2 does (or did when new, not tested it to the end recently) 24hrs at 800 lumens (low).
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Think Bob did the HT using just a joystick and still had charge left

I've not done a long enough ride to really test mine, three nights at most
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

benp1 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:48 pm Think Bob did the HT using just a joystick and still had charge left
I did indeed. The indicators suggested around 50% of charge remaining but since it's just, green -> amber -> red that's a guess, the charge indicator was still showing green which I believe is 50% or more.

Being Scotland in near mid-summer there isn't a lot of darkness, especially if it's a clear night, so apart from the last night there wasn't really much usage, maybe an hour or two a night and that was on the low setting. I did bump it up occasionally on the last night when we rode through but it was only for a few minutes at a time until it became apparent that we were within an hour or so of dawn so then left it on the middle setting.

Don't think my eyes would like that low a level now - I did the BB200 this year with both the Joystick and a Hope Vision 2 and was down to "red" from just a single night but the battery on the Hope died about 2am so there was more time on the middle setting.

So it really depends on what the terrain is and how much night riding you plan on doing. Piece of string, YMMV, HYOH, etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I rode the Atlas Mountain Race with a Toro on low backed up with a Diablo when needed.
The Toro says 32 hours on low but not sure what that equates to in real time but it lasted until just before the finish.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have a Maxx d that might be a mk10 from 2012 or so, and a joystick from about 2016/7. Have done some all nighters and multi day rides where the lights are on mid or low settings and have lasted between 12 and 18 hours. The Mazz d is getting a bit tired though.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:14 pm 10 days

Six pack mk10

Using it when I needed which wasn't a great deal.

4 days trip, using it most nights. Still had 50% left.
This is most amazing. Perfectly timed thread too as I went out with the Lumenator the other day which I thought I'd charged (about 3 weeks ago :smile: ... sorry, my bad) but it showed a blue light (green means full of charge, blue means to watch it...). Though it held out for the 2 hours remainder, it still reminded me that it's had a good 3 years life and I deserve an upgrade...

Thanks all
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Another Joystick user here and like Bob, I got round the HT550 with over 50% charge left. I never bothered to bring the charging cable as I didn't expect to ride much in the night due to the time of year, but I did use it for longer than expected over 5 nights - though I cheated one night by just riding in moonlight, because I'm weird like that :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You can work out the lumens at each duration - I think Sean contacted Exposure about it. Take the headline lumen count and multiply it by the quoted time for that output so for the Joystick that's 1100 x 1.5 = 1650 lumen-hours. Now just divide that figure by the times quoted for longer output to get the lumens at that duration. I.e. for 24hrs you'd have 1650/24 = 68.75 lumens.

Exposure say there's a 3500mAh battery in the Joystick so if you got a battery pack with the appropriate connector you can easily work out the extra duration at various lumen levels. I asked Mark at MTB batteries to make me a pack with a Hope compatible connector so no problem either making a cable converting from Hope to the standard jack or asking Mark to make one up with that particular connector.

I believe that there's some intelligence built in to the Exposure units whereby the light and external battery will communicate regarding remaining charge that you won't get with 3rd party batteries.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Exposures all seem to have the same burn time (from a joystick to a 6 pack) just at different intensity levels. Another joystick fan here - I've used mine a few times in full dark and on some fairly tricky trails (inc the devils staircase!) and its just about good enough if you go steady - lowest overall power programme and using mid or high setting which should give about 10 hours of light in total.

I carry a phone charger which takes 4 AA's. It has a usb output so you could use such a thing to recharge a joystick (or even one of the bigger ones) as many times as you can buy batteries.

I think if I was doing a few days out in say April or September and I planned on riding until bed time I'd probably take the joystick and maxx D as with a bit of fiddling with programmes and power settings you'd have enough light time without needing to recharge somewhere.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Older diablo on the ht400
5 days, couple of hours a night. No issues.

All nighter on the bb200, must've been 12 hours use with a toro, probably set in 24 h mode. It's a while ago.

I find the hours printed on to be fairly accurate
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

When my MK7 Joystick was new, I got 5 nights worth of approx. 6 hours each night on the mode 3 low setting.
The current model seems to do the same but double the output (200L vs 100L).

Greetz

S.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Diablo and Strada. They last pretty much exactly as long as they say they do in the relevant mode. Diablo had lasted 24 hours on a low power setting but assuming you won’t ever be in the dark for more than 14? Hours on one go you would then be recharging it during daylight. I have only once in six years had one run out on me and that was because I had it in the wrong mode. I find that the tap feature is brilliant as you can just up the mode when you need it for a descent and tap it down a mode or two for easy or flat terrain. Or just get a Revo, they never run out.