Where is everyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by RIP »

I like all those umptions going on there 'Monkey! I'm desperately thinking of a way of shoe-horning the superb word "gumption" into it but can't come up with anything in the time allowed :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:26 pm
Read through some old threads and see the language that is used about 'those people aren't like us', 'we wouldn't leave litter', 'they don't go far from their cars', 'people like :wink: that aren't proper wildcampers', that is othering.
Hang on, I'm just trying to get this right in my head ... does that mean that you can't criticise someone who litters or seemingly has no respect for the countryside and who's actions may or could result in reduced access or additional restrictions for everyone else? If that is the case, then I'm afraid people can shove 'othering' up their arse. Personally, I'll not keep quiet about stuff like that for fear of hurting someones feelings and they can in fact, f*ck themselves with whichever plastic bottle or disposable BBQ they've thrown on the floor :-bd
You can criticise individuals for their actions for sure.
What you can’t do (and it does happen here sometimes) is label people as doing those things when you don’t know that are actually doing them.
For example the automatic assumption that someone who wishes to Insta a ride/bivi/whatever is going to litter, make fires sh1t in the corner of a bothy.

‘It’s just banter’ is an excuse that bullies of many guises have used forever to belittle the feelings of their victims. Text is a difficult medium for nuance despite emojis :wink:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Is anyone doing any of these things (on the forum)?

Honest question, either I've missed it or not taken the postings to mean things like:
What you can’t do (and it does happen here sometimes) is label people as doing those things when you don’t know that are actually doing them.
For example the automatic assumption that someone who wishes to Insta a ride/bivi/whatever is going to litter, make fires sh1t in the corner of a bothy.
or

Bullying*

*real stuff, not some possibly, maybe, might've been but could equally have just been poor word choice etc etc etc
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:43 pm
Cheddar Man wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:15 pm 'we wouldn't leave litter', 'they don't go far from their cars', 'people like that aren't proper wildcampers', that is othering.
No othering going on there, chap - just statements of fact :grin: .
But sadly it's bollocks. I saw litter on the WRT thing last year, gel sachets and flapjack wrappers dropped by the cyclists in front of me.
So what if people don't go far, all adventure is relative and it doesn't make someone less of a wild camper if they only go 5 miles instead of 50 does it?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Oh, and I admit that at some point I may have taken the p1ss out of hipsters too much but I am now more well adjusted. Please accept my favourite hipster joke:

and a self-flagellating panda by way of apols:

Image *

*blame google, not me :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As I said, nuance is difficult to read in plain text.
To those who are in the know things have a different meaning to those who aren’t.

And yes I do think there are examples of wild assumption about different groups of people made on threads here at times.

Do I think there is overt bullying? No. But the difference between banter and bullying is small and Ill defined.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

There's a joke there somewhere about bivvying and no(t being) in(a)tent but my brains not working properly.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheddar Man wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:36 pm I saw litter on the WRT thing last year, gel sachets and flapjack wrappers dropped by the cyclists in front of me.
Conflation. A cyclist taking part in the WRT is not necessarily from this forum. Might be, but not unequivocally. An assumption, if you will.
So what if people don't go far, all adventure is relative and it doesn't make someone less of a wild camper if they only go 5 miles instead of 50 does it?
Personally I agree with you entirely. I can't speak for others, and I don't recall that specific instance although I'll take your word for it. FWIW, my shortest ride to a "wildcamp" was a matter of a few hundred yards. At least I think I was camping. It was pretty wild as well, in two not-immediately-obvious senses of the word.

However I'm not very interested in specific and personal instances of things, I prefer to deal in the general, shallow as that might be, so for me it's lunchtime.

Cheers all!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But sadly it's bollocks. I saw litter on the WRT thing last year, gel sachets and flapjack wrappers dropped by the cyclists in front of me.
I've no reason to doubt that and it genuinely saddens me. However, I make no concessions and they too want shagging (northern expression for educating).
I don't believe anyone has ever said that. I'm fairly certain that any comments about people parking as near to an overnight spot as possible and reducing the effort required to camp, was purely aimed at those members of society who displayed utter contempt for their surrounding this summer. In fact, over the years I only ever recall encouragement when someone has posted and said something like, "I did my first trip. I found it quite tough, so only managed 5 miles before stopping for the night".
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:48 pm
Cheddar Man wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:36 pm I saw litter on the WRT thing last year, gel sachets and flapjack wrappers dropped by the cyclists in front of me.
Conflation. A cyclist taking part in the WRT is not necessarily from this forum. Might be, but not unequivocally. An assumption, if you will.
Personally I agree with you entirely. I can't speak for others, and I don't recall that specific instance although I'll take your word for it. FWIW, my shortest ride to a "wildcamp" was a matter of a few hundred yards. At least I think I was camping. It was pretty wild as well, in two not-immediately-obvious senses of the word.

However I'm not very interested in specific and personal instances of things, I prefer to deal in the general, shallow as that might be, so for me it's lunchtime.

Cheers all!

Ah, I see, what you are saying is that it wasn't one of us, it was one of them :roll:

I think that just about sums it up really doesn't it?
RIP

Post by RIP »

I've Been Told that I've got to go and clean the kitchen drain out, but that's not very appealing without a brew first. So, at the risk of over egg-substituting this pudding, whilst drinking it I looked back on a few "I'm a newbie", "advice please", threads. The word "welcome" was surprisingly prevalent, whatever the apparent background or skill/experience level. Bit of mickey-taking included, seemingly understood and accepted. Could go back further but doesn't seem much point.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17808&p=226992&hilit=newbie#p226992

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17267&p=219742&hilit=newbie#p219742

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17206&p=218656&hilit=newbie#p218656

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16123&p=201626&hilit=newbie#p201626

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15587&hilit=newbie

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13422&p=165334&hilit=newbie#p165334
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheddar Man wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:31 pm Ah, I see, what you are saying is that it wasn't one of us, it was one of them :roll:
Nope
That's certainly an opinion for consideration
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mart

Post by Mart »

I’ve just not been visiting as much
Being furloughed means I’m busier than when I’m working :shock:

Mrs B’s to do list is huge
2924 miles per Gallon
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cheddar Man wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:31 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Cheers all!

Ah, I see, what you are saying is that it wasn't one of us, it was one of them :roll:

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:22 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:55 pm Individuals :-bd .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY
Steve - I always liked your previous signature "We're all individuals: except me...".

Still brings a smile to my face...and anyone else's when I drop it into conversation :wink:.
Cheers! :grin: .
May you always have tail wind.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Really tried not to post on this thread as I am one of those who comes across as a arse, to be honest even face to face I come across like that , suppose that’s what you get being brought up in a family where the honesty is brutal , but putting on my thinking cap do you not think forums as in actual life people just gravitate towards like minded personalities, in my opinion life isn’t all inclusive so why do people think that should extend to any form of social media , the bullying /banter is a difficult one as I can be brutal with people but have no qualms when I get pulled up on it or if people are brutally honest to me , that’s their opinion
Now remember folks as I’ve said before OPINIONS are like ARSEHOLES every body has one ,and life would be boring if they were all the same :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Another thing I like in Here, as admirably displayed above by our esteemed colleague Mr Madness (*), is that far from mocking (and calling someone out for breaking Rule#1 isn't mockery, it's a public service) 'outsiders', we frequently show a finely-honed line in self deprecation and even self mockery, both individually and collectively. And self-awareness too. There's a total lack of pomposity, mostly. Mostly.

(*) I can vouch for the fact that he is indeed an ARSE - A Really Special Eejit. And there, you see, I'm conforming to type because I'm meaning it as an unequivocal compliment and term of endearment, and there's several layers going on there for anyone bothered to work it out. Maybe you have to be in the pub for it to work properly, although the pub analogy earlier is pretty accurate.

Finished the kitchen drain anyway. I'm convinced there's new lifeforms growing down there.

psling

Post by psling »

middleagedmadness wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:14 am Now remember folks as I’ve said before OPINIONS are like ARSEHOLES every body has one ,and life would be boring if they were all the same :grin:
Are we talking about opinions or arseholes here?

And don't get me going on prejudices against people with disabilities whilst you're being all inclusive with your "every body has one" arsertion, erm... opinion :wink:

With my sensible (ahem) head on, one thing I have noticed on various forums (fora? oh, here we go again...) with a fairly active classified section is that quite a large number of registered users only actually visit / use that section but don't get involved in all the other banter / discussions / etc..
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With my sensible (ahem) head on, one thing I have noticed on various forums (fora? oh, here we go again...) with a fairly active classified section is that quite a large number of registered users only actually visit / use that section but don't get involved in all the other banter / discussions / etc..
Very true Peter. I think the fact you actually have to ask to join the forum rather than simply signing up in a moment of madness, helps prevent that a little (it certainly cuts down on spam posts). It probably also annoys some would be members but I'm a great believer in 'putting a bit of effort in' :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

psling wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 am
middleagedmadness wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:14 am Now remember folks as I’ve said before OPINIONS are like ARSEHOLES every body has one ,and life would be boring if they were all the same :grin:
Are we talking about opinions or arseholes here?
Whichever takes your fancy Peter
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:25 pm ... I'm a great believer in 'putting a bit of effort in' :wink:
If they haven't worked that one out by the time you sign them up and let them loose in Here, they find out extremely rapidly when they roll up on their first BBB event. Easy to tell new eventees - they have That Look on their face :-bd .

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:09 am
BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:22 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:55 pm Individuals :-bd .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY
Steve - I always liked your previous signature "We're all individuals: except me...".

Still brings a smile to my face...and anyone else's when I drop it into conversation :wink:.
Cheers! :grin: .

I’ve changed it back!
I’ve always thought that scene in ‘The life of Brian’ to be utter genius. It’s much like Groucho, I don’t want to be a member of a club which would admit me!
Bearbones, I feel, is a place where people are like cats, I don’t mean they lick their own arses but are naturally averse being herded, it’s very inclusive, as long as you remember it’s a collective and not a club.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark