Broke a spoke!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

welshwhit

Broke a spoke!

Post by welshwhit »

Well, whilst towing the young 'un, I heard a ping and clatter and upon inspection found I was down a spoke on my back wheel...

Now I've never actually lost a spoke before where it all disappears, but the nipple has even gone. However, the rims are fsa xc 500 tubeless jobs.

Am I right in thinking that to replace the spoke, I'm going to have to somehow find the lost nipple, extract it, then somehow get a new on into position, all thought the valve hole?!

Oh and if your wondering, yes, the missing spoke is pretty much opposite the valve!

Thanks all

Drew
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Broke a spoke!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I could be missing something here, but ... rather than trying to wallpaper your hall through your letterbox, why not just take the tyre off?
May the bridges you burn light your way
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

That's what I thought, but it's a tubeless rim, so he inside appears smooth, unless I'm missing something, I can't see a why to get at the hole the nipple sits in, it all looks sealed off?

Does that sound right or am I being thick?
nostoc

Post by nostoc »

Nipple replacement:
The XC500 wheelset features a special nipple installation system that is employed during wheel assembly. The rim does not have any holes
through which nipples are normally introduced. Instead, the nipple must be fed through the valve hole on a length of thread, and pulled into position.
A small nipple replacement kit is included with the wheelset. If nipple replacement is necessary, use the kit as follows:
• The nipple replacement kit includes a magnet and a length of thread with a knot at one end and a steel bead at the other.
• The old one must first be removed. Unscrew the presta valve from the valve hole and shake the nipple out of the rim. It may be effective to
gently bounce the rim on a protected surface, like carpet or wood, with the valve hole at the bottom. Be patient, the nipple will eventually
drop out.
• Thread the new nipple onto the knotted end of the thread. The knot must thread through the nipple to retain it. Once the nipple is correctly
located, this thread will be yanked free.
• Take the beaded end of the thread and feed it into the valve hole, guiding it in the shortest direction to the intended rim hole.
• Once the bead is within the rim, use the magnet to guide it along. Move the magnet against the rim outer surface, the bead will feel the
magnetic pull through the aluminum and move with the magnet. When the bead reaches the intended hole, put the magnet over the hole
and the bead will pop out.
• Gently pull the thread out the rim hole. Make sure the nipple, at the other end, enters the rim without catching. Keep pulling the thread until
the nipple emerges from the rim hole. Grab the nipple and yank the thread free.
• Without losing grip of the nipple, insert a spoke and turn it. Once connected, the nipple is no longer in danger of dropping back into the rim.
If that were to happen, simply go back to the first step and repeat.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Thanks chaps, looks like I'm wallpapering though the letterbox then! ( good analogy! :D )
slarge

Post by slarge »

I think I would buy a new wheel after losing the bead/nipple/thread for the 15th time.

Hope they patented that system! :?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What a ball-ache that is.
looks like I'm wallpapering though the letterbox then! ( good analogy! )
Stole it from a gynecologist :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

s8tannorm wrote:
Stole it from a gynecologist :shock:

:lol:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

s8tannorm wrote:I could be missing something here, but ... rather than trying to wallpaper your hall through your letterbox, why not just take the tyre off?
Nearly spat tea with that one :lol: