The BB 200 Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Re: The BB 200 Thread

Post by Chew »

composite wrote:
s8tannorm wrote: Is he planning on a bivvy or doing it in one go?
I'd imagine Steve will be doing it in one go
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is he planning on a bivvy or doing it in one go?
From the brief chat we had this morning I'd say very much one go ... he was second home last year, so knows what he's letting himself in for ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'd say that by and large, conditions this year will be similar to last. Steve's total time today will set the bar for next week, as it'll be the first passage of the route in reverse. My guess is he'll go under 15 hours.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm very interested in how Steve will do, might even download the strava gpx to follow as a "virtual partner" :lol:
*it appears this requires having a premium strava account which I do not :roll:

Anyway, my decision now lies on in terms of my minimum kit. I have a lifeventure thermal blanket bivvy which weighs 210g and I was originally planning on bringing as I don;t plan on stopping and this would stop my death if I did have to stop. But as the weather forecast is looking better than initially anticipated, I might bring my borah bivvy which is not waterproof but looks like it would be fine for the conditions, that will save me a whole 10 grams - at least a biscuit crum in energy terms :lol:

Everyone feeling prepped for next weekend? This really is a step into the unknown :|
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have a lifeventure thermal blanket bivvy which weighs 210g
Just remember that even though it's thermal, it only counts as a bivvy so you'll still need a sleeping bag ;)
Everyone feeling prepped for next weekend?
I lubed my chain today, if that counts. Oh, and put 'Marie's the name of his latest flame' on't ipod!
My guess is he'll go under 15 hours.
Me too.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Now officially terrified as the realisationn of woeful unpreparadness dawns.

Pass the red wine please
Ian

Post by Ian »

Zippy wrote:Everyone feeling prepped for next weekend?
Malt loaf was on offer in the Coop today, so I bought two ;)
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I did exactly the same thing yesterday !!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did exactly the same thing yesterday !!
What, Elvis ?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Rode 60k, washed bike, lubed chain, got new tyres in post. Checked weather forecast.

Didn't make any decisions about what I'm actually taking...
composite

Post by composite »

Well I have decided that in terms of kit I'll be treating it like a "normal ride" but carrying the extra stuff I need for the rules... oh and a load of extra lighting... and loads of extra food... and probably some extra clothing as it could be quite cold at 3am...

Hmm...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've no idea what Steves time was yet. I was hoping he'd be here this morning but his van's long gone ... I never heard anything so I can't even speculate ;)
Chew

Post by Chew »

s8tannorm wrote:I've no idea what Steves time was yet. I was hoping he'd be here this morning but his van's long gone ... I never heard anything so I can't even speculate ;)
I'm assuming it was fast and he got back well before a reasonable hour and thought sod it, I'm going home
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:I've no idea what Steves time was yet. I was hoping he'd be here this morning but his van's long gone ... I never heard anything so I can't even speculate ;)
Looking at post times, I speculate a sub 24 :lol: I'll be interested in what Steve has to say.

In other news, here's a photo of my provisional setup.

BB200 Setup by zippyonline, on Flickr
slarge

Post by slarge »

Blimmin heck - there's a few people waiting for my tales of woe!

OK, so the whole ride took me 15hr 46mins - faster than last year but slower than Ian. I was on track for a 14'ish time (when going by distance and what I remembered of the route), but the last 20km took forever (there's a lot of pushing in the last 20km - out of Hafren and up to Glaslyn is almost all pushing). I haven't looked at the Strava log yet, but I reckoned it would take an hour and it took over 2. I think times will be broadly similar to last year because of the last 20km when you're already tired (I wait to be proven wrong on this though!)

Tyres - I used Racing Ralphs (set up tubeless) and they were superb - fast on the road / fire roads and not too shabby off road. Water stops are at Ty Y Cornel (sp?) youth hostel - only the outside tap though as the hostel was locked (through the little gate on the RH side and at the far corner of the youth hostel building. The bike shed was unlocked (don't think they lock it) and they had a kettle and some cups with a notice to help yourself (ideal shelter/bivvy place as well). Water also at Ffair Rhos - look at the houses as you climb up the hill - there's a few outside taps near the road - if you're quick and quiet they'll never notice. Also in the toilets at the Reservoir before the climb to Roman Camp - I got there at 8.45 and they weren't locked.

I think this years route is misleading - the early road section is easy on the legs, and it's tempting to ignore the amount of climbing later in the route - I had forgotten how much there is in the last 60km - last year this was done with fresh legs so it didn't stand out in my mind.

Claerwen bothy is ideally placed as a bivvy spot - I went past just before 7pm. Claerwen res is clearable in daylight for the front runners ( put my lights on near the end,but I started at 10.30am so you lot will have aan extra 20-30mins to get there.

Carnau is much better in daylight - then last 30% is still a nav nightmare - but there is a bit of bent grass that may have been a path in Roman times (it isn't now!). I got off the Carnau just under 4 hours in to the ride.

Take spare lube - your chain will thank you for it. I took an empty bottle of lube (note to self - check the bottle has some oil in before you carry it for 211km).

Ground conditions - damp but it had rained on Friday. Not much mud but plenty of surface water - some of this may go by next weekend but there are plenty of bits that won't dry out. And if there's a heavy dew the grass and rocks get slippy.

Overall - a great ride, bloody hard work and a challenge.

Thanks Stu for letting me park at yours - I left before 8 this morning after a brew and a sleep. Looked all quiet in the Wright household so I didn't knock.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now officially terrified as the realisationn of woeful unpreparadness dawns.
I'm just making a rather splendid BB 200 Lanterne Rouge trophy ... so all may not be lost ;)

Good effort Steve ... I'm sure you've just scared some people out there ;)
slarge

Post by slarge »

I hope I haven't scared anyone!

Just remembered - had a bit of a giggle after surprising a couple at the Claerwen Dam car park - she was sat in the doorway of their van giving some special attention to her fella (or at least I assume it was her fella). Don't think they were expecting someone to appear from the reservoir side!
My "nice night for it" seemed to take them by surprise :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cracking ride pal, well done!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote:Cracking ride pal, well done!
^^ What Dave said.

Found that write up really useful, I've even now spied all those water points you've mentioned using google streetview :lol: Just have a USB cable to make for some GPS powering and I'll be ready :geek:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Good ride Steve, well done. That sets the bar for the "reverse" route, regardless of my time last year. Comments about the last section are interesting. I also imagine a solo effort being harder than the event, as the position of those around you can be a good motivator (cf my Highland Trail experience)
slarge

Post by slarge »

Yes, thanks all. Of course, if anyone gets a faster time, it will be clear that a solo ride on a 26er is much harder than the event! ;)
composite

Post by composite »

Hey that's a great ride slarge well done.

Where is the Carnau bit that people have mentioned being a nightmare? I can't seem to find it on the map... is that the point? :oops:

Had a go at packing today. This is the most gear I'll be carrying. The saddle bag is mostly full of optional gear that I probably won't actually take but I'll use that bag for food and a spare jacket so it's probably going to be about that full. Only getting lighter all the time if my stomach has any thing to do with it.

Chew

Post by Chew »

composite wrote:Where is the Carnau
About 35k at GR 890578
Going anticlockwise it was the difficult section as the fast guys would be hitting during the night. The northern track is reasonably defined, the southern section isnt.
composite

Post by composite »

Chew wrote:
composite wrote:Where is the Carnau
About 35k at GR 890578
Going anticlockwise it was the difficult section as the fast guys would be hitting during the night. The northern track is reasonably defined, the southern section isnt.
Oh is this the roman settlement bit?
Chew

Post by Chew »

composite wrote:Oh is this the roman settlement bit?
Nope, thats the section you posted on page 6