What are you drinking now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: What are you drinking now?

Post by thenorthwind »

There's salad in my fridge?!

The one on the right towards the back turned out to be a Wilde Child Salted Caramel Stout. I wasn't expecting much as it was "only" 5.9% and that sort of big-flavour stout usually needs a correspondingly big ABV to back it up, but it was pretty good.

As it happens I saw some of that Choclate Orange pastry stout while I was in the beer shop yesterday, and nearly picked a can up. Glad I didn't now.

Pastry stout is just what the Americans call stouts with sweet flavourings like chocolate orange AFAIK - no idea why because they don't taste anything like pastry to me.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Grimbergen Christmas beer.
Grubby little urchin.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My second kir royale.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

We’re on a nice white Rioja tonight about to watch a prog about the Outer Hebrides
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Westmalle Trippel, and an Ardmore to follow.
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ Nice.

Thornbridge Cocoa Wonderland. Chocolate. Beer. Mixed in one easy-to-open bottle. Genius.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I had a St Bernardus trippel last night, that was rather good.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

A couple bottles of Staropramen with my tea, home made curry and chips.
RIP

Post by RIP »

It doesn't seem quite right to be having a snifter on Monday afternoon somehow. So I'm not. However, just been out to get some bread, and these somehow fell off the next shelf into the basket. The trigger word being "vanilla". The Norse Star is vanilla, cocoa and almond; and the Jet Black Heart is vanilla and oatmeal.

Closer inspection at home reveals that the Norse Star is arrestingly powerful so that will have to be for a special occasion (*). The Heart has got oatmeal in it so that's practically porridge isn't it - I reckon it would make an ideal December BaM breakfast beverage.

(*) Friday

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:39 pm The Heart has got oatmeal in it so that's practically porridge isn't it - I reckon it would make an ideal December BaM breakfast beverage.
:lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Now, black coffee.

But last night I cracked open a bottle of Rochester Ginger. Went to buy one for Christmas but it was buy one get the second half price or something...what can you do...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:39 pm It doesn't seem quite right to be having a snifter on Monday afternoon somehow. So I'm not. However, just been out to get some bread, and these somehow fell off the next shelf into the basket. The trigger word being "vanilla". The Norse Star is vanilla, cocoa and almond; and the Jet Black Heart is vanilla and oatmeal.

Closer inspection at home reveals that the Norse Star is arrestingly powerful so that will have to be for a special occasion (*). The Heart has got oatmeal in it so that's practically porridge isn't it - I reckon it would make an ideal December BaM breakfast beverage.

(*) Friday

Glad to see you got the essentials covered Reg :wink: I got a couple of cans of that Norse Star recently, had one, still got the other one to drink. I'll withhold my tasting notes so as not to prejudice your experience :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta :wink: . I've still got one can left of that there Fairytale of Brew York. Two options present themselves. 1/ Save it for Crimbo, at which point put the fire on, curtains drawn, all lights off apart from the standard lamp in the corner, armchair, some crisps, book. Evening sorted. Or, 2/ Sell it to Landslide for ten times what I bought it for because they've stopped brewing it and he's keen to have a final fling :smile: .

ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Not drinking atm, but hopefully will be soon. Wifey has just found two jars of sloe gin that she made last autumn, one of which still has the berries in and smells divine.
May satan walk with you
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:03 pm put the fire on, curtains drawn, all lights off apart from the standard lamp in the corner, armchair, some crisps, book. Evening sorted.

Incidentally it's a little-known fact that Paul Whitehouse based Rowley Birkin on Reg.

It's true that is.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Not drinking just now, but Sheffield's finest long-distance cycling beer shop just dropped these off. I'm rather looking forward to Christmas...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Drinking a rather nice John Collins having had his cousin Tom a couple of days ago.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Opened a bottle of Kwak without reading the ABV

Stu please delete all my posts after 8pm tonight
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Very rich and fruity. Yum.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Another genius marketeer named that one!

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:03 pm Ta :wink: . I've still got one can left of that there Fairytale of Brew York.
Funnily enough, I've got one of them too.
Landslide wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:36 pm Not drinking just now, but Sheffield's finest long-distance cycling beer shop just dropped these off. I'm rather looking forward to Christmas...
Intriguing! "24-hour-barrel-aged" though... hardly seems worth it? Homeopathic barrel-aging? :lol: What am I missing?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Costa Gingerbread Latte.

It's my annual treat.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:10 pm "24-hour-barrel-aged" though... hardly seems worth it? Homeopathic barrel-aging? :lol: What am I missing?
It's Islay whisky, I doubt it needs that much! I don't know how long these things take; my impression of (beer) brewing is that it doesn't take ages to impart flavours (e.g. hopping stages).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Landslide wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:28 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:10 pm "24-hour-barrel-aged" though... hardly seems worth it? Homeopathic barrel-aging? :lol: What am I missing?
It's Islay whisky, I doubt it needs that much! I don't know how long these things take; my impression of (beer) brewing is that it doesn't take ages to impart flavours (e.g. hopping stages).
Maybe not, I don't know either. Just that most other barrel-aged beers (stouts anyway - maybe too much over-powers an IPA?) are in there for a few months.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

In the run up to the festive season Aldi and Lidl Spain sell limited quantities of unusual beer. Most of the time it's a monoculture of lagers so having a selection of craft IPAs and stouts is quite nice. This year I managed to find a Chocolate Stout, 2 types of IPA, 1 with an abv of 7.8%, Red Beer and Wheat Beer from the Steam Brewery and sold in 500ml for 99cents apiece. Naturally I've been tasting these for the purpose of market research, we went back for more stout today but they'd already sold out.