Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Todays ride

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:52 pm And I thought the red & green lights were the entrance to Dunstable harbour :roll: .
That statement does not appear to sit very well with the 'no beers' statement :lol: .

PS. Forgot to credit our Pete with most of the photos - ta!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for straightening that sign Reg...

Today I decided to take an 'OffRoad' route to collect my car, 10 miles away it was. Wanted to give my Egen a go on some proper off road climbing sections. With her road heritage and the gravel tires it was gonna be a lovely ride and miss out some of the main roads. 3 miles in after managing to get through the first small section of muddy muck, I saw Mr Rabbit who was looking for an escape route. Slowly sneaked up and pictured what I could but he was too smart.

Next came the horses, again after managing to smooth over the mud and not have my calipers clagged up. Egen decided she needed a selfie. Pity we didn't manage to get her in the shot properly..

Life was going oh so beautiful after I managed to skim over the next pile of mud and onwards n upwards. Now on some more hardpack and through the golf course. Surely everything was just gonna be clean and smooth sailing through here. But nope, more mud appeared from nowhere whilst trying to get over a drainage ramp/channel. I knew I'd not make it over without a big skid and possibly down the ditch on the side, so decided to dismount.

Dismounting went very poorly and the '16 degree release angle' showed its ugly face. 16 degrees to release, but why! Anyway, I fell trying to release that left leg... Must've hit the 'mucky mess of greasy mud' whilst I was still at 9 degrees, mid-release. Left side all mud but thankfully a soft landing :sad: Didn't take a picture cos it wasn't nice.

Onwards to the next section where my Egen would prove herself. Made it this far, but the pic doesn't do justice to the amount of stones sat wanting to give you a helping hand up the 8 to 12 percenter...

Still had this far to go, and a bit more, so I started walking..

Got to this drainage channel where I'd usually manage to get back on Stan (the Sonder) but today with a 34 front and 34 lowest rear, it just wasn't happening. So I walked a few extra metres and then got on. But fell again at this point - where the bike's stood - and this time I had managed to unclip the full 16 degrees but still...

Onto the road at the top and a right where the previous headwind had become a sidewind and I was thankful I never had deep wheels (well, the front is 35mm CX campag so might explain why I had to fight a little).

The rest was all road but I felt I deserved this last pic of the view with the wind behind me. Doesn't look much but felt a right achievement..

No bones broken and not too much clag between the calipers, I rode the rest of the 6 miles via road and onto the lovely garage.

THE END
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I hit that hill about 6 1/2hrs into your Peak 100 route Shaf :lol: Had to walk the upper bit as well, was a "ride until you spin out" sort of effort from memory.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:59 pm I hit that hill about 6 1/2hrs into your Peak 100 route Shaf :lol: Had to walk the upper bit as well, was a "ride until you spin out" sort of effort from memory.
Bob, it took me a good few years (maybe 5 :o ) before I managed to start making it up there (that's on fresh legs obviously). I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked the bike. At the start I/we would manage to make it to the fallen tree (wasn't always fallen, happened bout 4 years ago) and then slowly upto that stone drainage channel.

Last few rides though, seems as though I've either lost too much weight of the rear of my bike, been too knackered since the BB200 or put in too much pressure on the rear tyre with Stan. Looks like the tweaking is gonna start all over again now with the cx tires and tuning the drivetrain on the steely :smile: ... It's a job!
ton

Post by ton »

where is that hill Shaf/Bob ?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ton wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:05 pm where is that hill Shaf/Bob ?
It's here Tony - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=420839 ... &A=Y&Z=120
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 pm
ton wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:05 pm where is that hill Shaf/Bob ?
It's here Tony - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=420839 ... &A=Y&Z=120
Thats the one... Comes out at Back Lane and the main road being Lilley lane... turn left at the top and left agaun leads you to Charlotts cie cream...
ton

Post by ton »

cheers gents. i have ridden down and pushed up that a couple of times on a mtb ride with sowerby's in the past. thought i recognised it.
redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 pm cheers gents. i have ridden down and pushed up that a couple of times on a mtb ride with sowerby's in the past. thought i recognised it.
Sowerbys... proper top bike shop folk them. Its my local (when I need one)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Beer or I cream what a choice!
Don't drink and drive.. No spilling puns..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

A short cool ride, to a local point of interest around Castle Hill a Huddersfield landmark & iron age Fort... I chat with a photography student about mountain bikes anf my 'pimped' Franken-bike. A few dirt tracks & located the intact remains of a local WW2 artillery gun enplacement. A chat with a few blokes (socially distanced!) confirmed it was also a Italian POW camp. The steel work lasts longer than their
cars!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/191134804 ... res/HE9FZX

A short hilly round trip, as the sun lowered it was a almost dusk freezing ride home. I'm glad a brought the unlined pogies...
May be a future bivvy spot..? :-bd
Last edited by ledburner on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

An exploratory loop from Bulbarrow-Hilton-Bulbarrow, researching options for pre-and post-work blasts.
A good, well-drained, non-cheeky discovery :-).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH2-q4EFw57 ... c2bvn9608y
May you always have tail wind.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ten mile loop in The Pentland Hills with a difference. I was accompanied by my stepdaughter on her horse Woody and her black lab Lucy. Much enjoyed by all.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A quality morning out on the coast :-bd

Image20201122_122939 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201122_121535 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201122_112653 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

I refuse to believe that you get this much good weather in N Wales, Jeff, what with Blaenau Ffestiniog being the second-wettest place in the Milky Way. I reckon you're just wheeling out a load of archive photos every time :grin:.

Reg 'Just Jealous Cos I Can't Get Up There For A Fix' Perrin
Last edited by RIP on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:17 am I refuse to believe that you get this much good weather in N Wales, Jeff, what with Blaenau Ffestiniog being the second-wettest place in the Milky Way. I reckon you're just wheeling out a load of archive photos every time :grin:.

Reg 'Just Jealous Cos I Can't Up There For A Fix' Perrin
😂😂
You'll be back up here before you know it. Let me know when and I'll book the weather 😉

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Yesterday on the beach
https://youtu.be/zvWWPOCZax8
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

....and here's my film from a sunny Welsh beach ⛱ 😎 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳

https://youtu.be/-ObpKh-Aj8Y

Instagram:

YouTube:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Still exploring the wilderness north of Carrbridge. Lots of VERY empty landscape around here, though a couple of bothies (lunch huts) too.

this one isn't too far from the road but it's had sheep in at some point so not sure I'd like to sleep in it :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 am
MuddyPete wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:51 pm ...how about pictures of the MOST FABULOUS Christmas lights in your riding area of choice? :YMPARTY:
That is genius! I'm going to do that now as well, and I would encourage everyone else going on a winter bivi to do the same and we can all post them up here afterwards :-bd
MuddyPete & Reg's attempt last night

RIP

Post by RIP »

Portals to an alternative Bikepacking Universe, Where It's Always Christmas?

Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

They don't seem OTT enough really, but this one raises the stakes marginally higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZYecuiQhsY

24 hours a day.... lucky neighbours!

C'mon peeps there must be some really garishly tasteless ones out there....

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:39 pm C'mon peeps there must be some really garishly tasteless ones out there....
There are enough on the Island that the local bus company does a tour of them with an open top bus. I'm saving them for my winter bivi. I might have to work out how to turn them into gifs as a photo doesn't do them justice.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:58 pm I might have to work out how to turn them into gifs as a photo doesn't do them justice.
There's a half hour of working time used up :lol:

That's made from a night-lapse test from one of my Lock-down BAMs... sadly no stars, but it does now mean I need to take the gopro and tripod on the winter-bivi to get the necessary photos.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger