Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JimmyG

Re: Todays ride

Post by JimmyG »

Yeah he's a top fella. Rode forth fat back in 15, 16 & 17. Been up a few more times times. I'm intrigued by the Goblin castle near Gifford, ace place!

:-bd Not been there yet but it’s on the list!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

[quoteHere in the coastal lands of Merseyside we not only get the strong winds but also every mile has to be pedalled as there is nowhere to free wheel to recover][/quote]
Aye he is correct i commue on the other side of the ribble on the flat and its hard work in a head wind.i was once at less than 10 mph on a drop bar road bike at full gas . You would think its easy but its not - its just like being on the turbo constant watts till you finish

Finally managed to get out after a 6 week hiatus caused by a broken thumb and so I took the - as described elsewhere - unfashonable steel * SS out as i still cannot change gear

had to ride with my hand on the bar ends with my thumb up so The Fonz style as my mate descibed it

Descents are less then pleasant still but hey I got out and it did not rain. Not sure a SS is the best option for first ride in 6 weeks but I did 3 hours [ pain stopped me not legs ]

* this SS was describes as a retro classic[ Dialled alpine Love hate if you care] at UK SS when it was less than 3 years old - How quickly standards changed !
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

A bit moist out this morning
RIP

Post by RIP »

Quick spin round town on the Brommie to survey some speed limit signs for my Council mate. A lot of inconsistencies - one place had a 20mph sign going into a zone but 30mph on the opposite side of the road going the same way! Another spot had a 30mph sign going into what is signed as 20 elsewhere.

If Reg was In Charge, he'd have a blanket 10mph limit in all built-up areas, no signs or roadmarkings at all, and level "kerbs" everywhere. Oh, and special "stingers" that immediately rose up under someone doing more than 11mph (10% leeway - I'm not an unreasonable chap).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Pre-brekkie bimble around the local woods. All very golden. Lovely :-).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHglh1blLgl ... c35k1m6euu
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:32 am Pre-brekkie bimble around the local woods. All very golden. Lovely :-).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHglh1blLgl ... c35k1m6euu
Very nice. Impressively early bird you are matey! Didn't fancy a actual brekkie for the Breakfast thread? Kippers, kedgeree, devilled kidneys in the woods? Bet nobody was up Rushmere at that time?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:11 am
MuddyPete wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:32 am Pre-brekkie bimble around the local woods. All very golden. Lovely :-).
Bet nobody was up Rushmere at that time?
Nobody there when I went past just now either.

Greens. Browns.

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

The least clarty bit of today's ride. No complaints after being laid up for a month with a bung knee.

seems like ive fecked up pic posting once again.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Try again
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Thursday.

What a mudfest. The mud was so thick and sticky that on one of my favourite gentle downhill sections of a green road I had to peddle in a low gear just to keep going.
Had to use my water bottle as a pressure jet to free up the FD at one point and up on Woodbury there was a sniper having a break that I didn't see until I was abreast of him. Woodbury has been awash wish Marines the last couple of weeks.
Used my new green Carradice Barley (replaces a back pack) which turned DPM by the time I got home.
As a result I have ordered some of the new SKS Velo 65 29 mudguards.
Being old is great. I can use a saddle bag and mudguards and I don't care.

No photos as flickr has stopped free hosting.
What is everyone using instead?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Flickr is still free up to 1,000 photos.

Postimage.org works.
Imgur seems to have stopped working for me.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I posted using Imgur yesterday
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:12 pm Flickr is still free up to 1,000 photos.
Aye, still got a few hundred left here. Guess at the 999th pic one just creates a new account with different email address, or are they cleverer than that?

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think they maybe start deleting older pics?

Multiple accounts would probably work.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:31 pm I think they maybe start deleting older pics?
It does intrigue me this business of virtual detritus - all the ludicrous 'cat videos', selfies, and, yes, bikepacking pics, that are cluttering up servers all over the planet. Not quite as bad (or are they?) as old prints or slides but still a huge amount of litter that needs getting rid of to spare our creaking environment. It's not without cost.

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A very blustery morning at Dinorwic quarry today. A good show of goats around the lower slopes which are good to see. I need to get another bivvy in here.....

Image20201114_112512 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201114_110328 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201114_110312 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Weather incoming!
Image20201114_130041 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:41 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:31 pm I think they maybe start deleting older pics?
It does intrigue me this business of virtual detritus - all the ludicrous 'cat videos', selfies, and, yes, bikepacking pics, that are cluttering up servers all over the planet. Not quite as bad (or are they?) as old prints or slides but still a huge amount of litter that needs getting rid of to spare our creaking environment. It's not without cost.
I've always "curated" my Flickr posts whereas anything on my phone is backed up automagically to Google. That then includes all the crap stuff, temporary stuff, out of focus shots, pocket pics... Still, even Google are cracking down now so I'll have to review that too.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:11 am Very nice. Impressively early bird you are matey! Didn't fancy a actual brekkie for the Breakfast thread? Kippers, kedgeree, devilled kidneys in the woods? Bet nobody was up Rushmere at that time?
I've been considering that since the brekkie ride thread popped-up :-), it'd mean arranging meetings accordingly :lol: and getting up in the very dark :shock: .
It is rather pleasant to have a proper #coffeeoutside, though.

Or just logging-on in the woods.... :ugeek:

Hmmm... :wink:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Going in via Chrome seems be stuck in a strange Flickr world with no log in or log out.
It shows me my photos but is trying to sell me Pro.
Edge allows me to log in and out and upload.
It is only the means to post the occasional photo so no great store of photos.

Wish I had photographed the snipper now. :lol:
but still a huge amount of litter that needs getting rid of to spare our creaking environment. It's not without cost.
Don't worry Reg an EMP burst will do that but probably take a lot more with it.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

First ride since I did a school run in July, just a quick loop over Tellytubby Hill and back down the Isabel trail but it felt good to be back on the bike.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Second ride today since my isolation ended. Had been at least a little bit poorly so a bit concerned riding to work (last ride was a 15 miler mtb local loop). However, even though I had planned to ride in today, I wasn't sure it'd materialise. Yesterday though my brakes failed on the car as I left the motorway at about 2200 after a long day at work. So the bike-commute was finalised.

Decided to try and emulate the 1x setup I'm building on the lightweight setup. So did the first climb of about 12 to 14 percent in 34 front and the 21 to 11 cluster up back. I think it was actually 34x21 I managed to get up on. After that I kept the big cog engaged up front with the same small cohs up back. Managed to make it in 2h24 riding time and about 10 or 12 mins for stoppages. So it's obviously faster (I was on 32mm gravel tires for the first time as opposed to my GP5000 tires).

Bit tiring and will see if I ride back in the morning. Busy few days ahead trying to chase up the car manufacturer to see if it was a safety recall that was missed... Alhamdulillah (all praise to Allah) that I didn't crash and bust my face. Gonna treasure it for the foreseeable future...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I (quite literally) dragged the wife out for a ride this morning
Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:46 pm Image

I (quite literally) dragged the wife out for a ride this morning
Did she enjoy? The closest I got to a bike ride this weekend was getting pissed wet through on a trail run, getting pissed wet trough walking up a hill, getting pissed wet through putting sailing dinghies into winter storage, getting pissed wet through riding a horse, fixing a puncture, fortunately dry at home for that one, ordering new tyres for my mountain bike, and then literally riding ten minutes down the dark lane from my house, just because....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:45 am just because....
^ Best reason...

Out last night with MuddyPete for a bimble. I think it was a bimble anyway. More than a wobble and less than a trot. Could someone post up the Official Ride Classifications list please? I'm fairly sure a "wobble" is at the bottom, and is "epic" at the top? Or something worse/better than epic?

It was a last-minute thing, and we didn't fancy mud so it was fairly roady as well. Eventually we ended up on top of Dunstable Downs, the highest point in Bedfordshire. There's a clear view from here all the way to the White House now that Didcot power station isn't in the way. Here's me spying on the orange one from afar:

Turning in the other direction we saw a green and a red light coming straight towards us. DUCK! Low flying plane from Luton Airport! Cruise ship lost its way up the River Lea!! No, just a couple of cranes in Dunstable.

In fact you can see the whole of Luton and Dunstable from up here, or "DunVegas" as we like to call it....

I mean come on, you haven't got views like that in the Highlands or the wilds of Wales have you eh? Flew back down the hill trying to avoid benches, bushes and druggies, and headed back through the villages with people already vying for the most OTT crimbo lighting:

Pete slams on his brakes. "Look at that!". I look down. ARG!!!! Someone's thrown a baby out of a car window and left it for dead! I was all for propping it up on the village seat but thought better of it....

I noticed that the sign for NCN6 to Leighton Buzzard was pointing straight into the nearby pub. That can't be right surely. In fact the route is totally the opposite direction to what you'd expect, and the one we decided to take, so best be public-spirited and sort the sign out:

What a hooligan. Ridiculous behaviour for an OAP. "Leighton Buzzard pensioner fined £5 for interfering with public sign". Still, at least we hadn't had any beers otherwise I'd've deposited the obligatory traffic cone on top as well.

Home via various lanes getting lost and unlost, and that was another bimble chalked up. Or was it a wobble. Might have actually been a trot after all come to think of it.

'Reg' & 'MuddyPete'

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Not a wobble (no beer involved), so must've been a bimble. Lesson learned.

And I thought the red & green lights were the entrance to Dunstable harbour :roll: .