Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

^ :wink: , We're playing for high steaks tonight Dave.

Talking of high stakes.... I know we Don't Do Politics (do we....), but you can hardly ignore it, and this is the Friday thread.... I've just twigged what's going on #-O #-O . The Don Trump thing is a complete side-show. So assuming Mr Biden gets in, he'll trot along for a while.. nice chap etc etc... then what with his age and all... he'll bow out.... and we get La Harris as the most powerful person on the planet! That's bloody genius that is. She'd never have made Prez as the nominee, for all the usual dispiriting reasons. But this way... first woman president of the United US American States of A. That would be quite amazing. Still, she's about the only person on the planet fiercer than Mrs Perrin so there will be some interesting fireworks to watch.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

On the art in the woods theme:

Spray paint on cling film.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:37 pm Last one... I'll stop now you'll be pleased to know.... Forest of Dean Sculpture Park... absolutely superb.... Peter Sling' and Kev Raggedstone admiring a stained glass window during our BaM last year.....a window into...?? ... a window out of...????

Go on then.... whaddayagot?
ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I know the Forest of Dean very well indeed Reg, having lived not too far away some years ago. A great mountain biking/bikepacking venue and, for me nowadays, a convenient overnight stopping-off point when driving down to visit my (now grown-up) kids in South Wales. Move in under cover of darkness and depart before anyone is up and about is my mantra on these occasions. Note: If there happen to be too many doggers in the nearby car park when I get there I do have other alternate van camping sites in the Forest. :wink:
Last edited by JimmyG on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:33 pm Spray paint on cling film.
I told you it was Cheery Friday.... If I play my cards right (Ace, Nine, Queen, then the Two (hidden up my sleeve all the time! HAHA!!!!..)), Mrs Perrin says I've got that to look forward to later.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

JimmyG wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:35 pm I know the Forest of Dean very well indeed Reg, having lived not too far away a good few years ago. A great mountain biking/bikepacking venue and, for me nowadays, a convenient overnight stopping-off point when driving down to visit my (now grown-up) kids in South Wales. Move in under cover of darkness and depart before anyone is up and about is my mantra on these occasions. Note: If there happen to be too many doggers in the nearby car park when I get there I do have other alternate van camping sites in the Forest. :wink:
Love the place. But the Car Park Operating Under Canine Rules? Peter bypassed that one. Must be saving it for my next visit. Or sparing me, being fully aware of my easily affronted sensibilities.

That van sculpture is interesting. Bizarrely enough, in Cowleaze Wood there was a van sculpture. "Parked up" in the trees - just like that one - but... the back was COMPLETELY full of scrap metal. Very unsettling indeed. Must be a metaphor there but I'm damned if I know what it is. Ideas?
Last edited by RIP on Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:02 pm ^ :wink: , We're playing for high steaks tonight Dave.

Talking of high stakes.... I know we Don't Do Politics (do we....), but you can hardly ignore it, and this is the Friday thread.... I've just twigged what's going on #-O . The Don Trump thing is a complete side-show. So assuming Mr Biden gets in, he'll trot along for a while.. nice chap etc etc... then what with his age and all... he'll bow out.... and we get La Harris! That's bloody genius that is. She'd never have made Prez as the nominee, for all the usual dispiriting reasons. But this way... first woman president of the United US American States of A. That would be quite amazing. Still, she's about the only person on the planet fiercer than Mrs Perrin so there will be some interesting fireworks to watch.
Thats what I'm hoping but if it comes to pass, she'd better get a really good bullet proof vest....

Back on topic, Cheers!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Which one?
naked looking figures int' garden ...... obviously.
I’ve got steak for tea
What kind?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:52 pm she'd better get a really good bullet proof vest....
Don't worry Phil, she can catch 'em between finger and thumb, stop time for 5 seconds, then chew 'em up, and spit them out, then free them shaped liked doves which flutter away.... or summat....
Back on topic
Sorry? Don't understand your banter there old boy :wink: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Has the Stars n Stripes flag been "photoshopped" in afterwards do you think?

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

My other half is off work tomorrow. I don't work Fridays. The forecast is good.

Plan: get up early and bake the bread that's been proving in the fridge since this morning. Then walk with the hound down to my favourite artisan bakery ( :roll: ), drink really good coffee and eat whatever pastry concoction they've invented this week. Then walk up through the valley to one of the best restaurants in town where they sell incredible pies out of the back door twice a week to those who know where to go and turn up on time.

Then probably home for more baked goods :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

That's an overdose of bakeriness there 'Wind - or is such a thing impossible?

Ooer JC, you're right. I think your photos there are a 'what happens next?' game. It's Fri 13th... so, yes, DOH! The handle spontaneously cracks off his mug, which then spills tea all over his laptop, destroying it just before he was able to save his new groundbreaking formula for nuclear fusion and untold riches.

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:45 pm That's an overdose of bakeriness there 'Wind - or is such a thing impossible?
In my book, yes.

The only slight flaw in this plan is that, while the forecast insists it's about to turn into a beautiful sunny day any minute, it's currently persisting it down :roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Heard two very cheerful things already today. Then again paradoxically they also made me very annoyed. Then again again, being annoyed can be good because it shows you're engaged. So in fact it's cheery after all. That's three cheery things then and it's only 8 o'clock.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Make it four. Just finished Mike Carter's 'One Man And His Bike [round the coastline of the UK]' while crunching my toast. Some good stories and observations, but let's share this little philosophical aphorism shall we, dispensed by the Salcombe ferryman:

Actually, the first funny thing was Mike was feeling, justifiably, quite pleased with himself for getting that far but was brought down to earth when it transpired that the apparently normal ferryman, with a seemingly 'boring' job, had actually once biked to Hawaii. Never mind that, him and his mate had pedaloed across the Atlantic despite never having spent a night at sea before. So, however bonkers your story, someone will always go one better :smile: .

Anyway, the ferryman had such an interesting tale that Mike didn't get off at the other side - just crossed a few more times, listening, and collecting the fares as well. The ferryman said he was fine ferrying across the same tiny stretch of water day in day out because it dawned on him that there was no real difference between that and crossing the Atlantic.

"You can't rely on the attainment of goals or journeys no matter how big or small for your happiness, because the attainment of that goal will only bring temporary gratification. Enjoy it all, because ultimately happiness is the acceptance of the journey as it is now not the promise of the other shore".

"Finding this job was a real gift for me. There's no promotion, no goals or advancement. It is just what it is: carrying people across the water. It took me a while to realise it didn't matter where I was on the estuary. Why should I get upset whether I was at one place or the other when I could only ever be in the place I was?"

And on that note - happiness is in taking simple pleasure from enjoying another slice of toast I think! (And so, like Mike, we come full circle. But in our case - back to bakery products :-bd )

AndreR

Post by AndreR »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:33 am Make it four. Just finished Mike Carter's 'One Man And His Bike [round the coastline of the UK]' while crunching my toast. Some good stories and observations, but let's share this little philosophical aphorism shall we, dispensed by the Salcombe ferryman:

Actually, the first funny thing was Mike was feeling, justifiably, quite pleased with himself for getting that far but was brought down to earth when it transpired that the apparently normal ferryman, with a seemingly 'boring' job, had actually once biked to Hawaii. Never mind that, him and his mate had pedaloed across the Atlantic despite never having spent a night at sea before. So, however bonkers your story, someone will always go one better :smile: .

Anyway, the ferryman had such an interesting tale that Mike didn't get off at the other side - just crossed a few more times, listening, and collecting the fares as well. The ferryman said he was fine ferrying across the same tiny stretch of water day in day out because it dawned on him that there was no real difference between that and crossing the Atlantic.

"You can't rely on the attainment of goals or journeys no matter how big or small for your happiness, because the attainment of that goal will only bring temporary gratification. Enjoy it all, because ultimately happiness is the acceptance of the journey as it is now not the promise of the other shore".

"Finding this job was a real gift for me. There's no promotion, no goals or advancement. It is just what it is: carrying people across the water. It took me a while to realise it didn't matter where I was on the estuary. Why should I get upset whether I was at one place or the other when I could only ever be in the place I was?"

And on that note - happiness is in taking simple pleasure from enjoying another slice of toast I think! (And so, like Mike, we come full circle. But in our case - back to bakery products :-bd )
:-bd
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:33 am
reminds of of Schopenhauer's

" Now we take no delight in our existence except in striving for something when when the distance and obstacles make us think that the goal will be satisfactory, an illusion that vanishes when it is reached"

He was a right pesimist though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:28 am He was a right pesimist though.
:grin:

I like to think that generally Boners are optimists. How could we not be when most of our time is spent riding in the pissing rain, being eaten by midges, slimed on by slugs, and deliberately allowing ourselves to become 'orientationally-challenged'. We should have a poll.

"The point of having a finishing line is solely to get us across the start line".....

This is too much for a Friday morning, I'm off out to buy a knife-sharpener and talk to the bloke who does the flowerbeds in our park.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:37 pm
That is absolutely lovely. Sadly, round here, that would have been smashed up
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Yay, I'm finally allowed back on the bike after over 3 months. I'm supposed to keep it on smooth surfaces for now, "No terrain!"
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not right exciting but I really don't expect much these days ... however, I've just found some 10mm alloy plate in my stash so today, I can now make a supercharger explosion plate rather than waiting until next week :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Are you expecting it to explode then? :-SS

We're up to number FIVE here now! This is a surfeit of cheeriness. Should be saving some up for later really.

On the way out to the shops, looked out the window at the birdfeeders to see how many thousands of goldfinches were decimating our sunflower seeds - none. All gone. What's going on? Bloody hellfire!! Look at THAT thing.

Probably ten a penny for you country-dwellers, but only ever seen one once before here, quite a long time ago. That time it barrelled in over the wall like a flash of lightning, and in a split second grabbed a poor goldfinch for lunch.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you expecting it to explode then?
It's always a risk Reg. A blower / manifold full of compressed fuel can soon become a bomb if you get a miss-fire or hang up an inlet valve ... boom banga boom and added shrapnel :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:04 pm
Are you expecting it to explode then?
It's always a risk Reg. A blower / manifold full of compressed fuel can soon become a bomb if you get a miss-fire or hang up an inlet valve ... boom banga boom and added shrapnel :-bd
What's this going on then?? PICS!!
Cheers all by the way. Cheery for me as I reach the end of yet another mad week without going mad. Well I think I've not gone mad but who knows....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's this going on then?
Perhaps oddly, I've not yet decided Phil. I fancy doing something you wouldn't usually see blown but it'll have to be cheap as the budget is close to zero. Probably a single or twin but 500(ish)cc motors seem thin on the ground ... probably because people think every piece of crap from the 70's / 80's is some kind of priceless classic. I thought of doing Dee's Z650 but I reckon I'd get in trouble ... I'll do you some pics as we go along :wink: