January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by JohnClimber »

I honestly think that most of us will be in some form of a lockdown (after it's been relaxed at Christmas).

But don't forget it will be in the middle of the flu season, there won't be a vaccine for us all by then.
The daily death rate will still be high and those catching it will also be high.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it and therefore I think that if you want to spend the Winter Event in your garden because of concerns for yours, your families health and mental stability, without the stress of being caught on land and end up in trouble....... I'd say that you CAN bivi in your garden if you want to over this "event" weekend
Last edited by JohnClimber on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by RIP »

Aye you're probably right. Let's put in an Official Reinstatement Request then, so everything's above board :smile: .

"Stu I wonder if you could reinstate the Emergency BaM Rules please?"...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:46 pm goodness knows about Scotland
No bivvying restrictions here, though those in the higher Level areas shouldn't be travelling more than 5 miles from their home Local Authority.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Please note, entries close at midnight on Saturday 12th December.

Reg and I will pick your pairs on the Sunday, before posting them up on here for all to see.

You then have a week and a half to contact each other and swap Grid Ref's within a radius of your house they YOU chose, including no go areas. it's your event so make of it what you want.

All Grid Refs should be back with your virtual Winter Event partner by Christmas Eve, this is the traditional date that Stuart Sends the Winter Event Grid Refs out to us all on normal year.

So far we have 38 riders, so 19 virtual pairs, if it ends on an odd number one pair will be a triple :geek:

So, sign up there are still plenty of places left and if you need any help with plotting just ask or see the post from earlier which I'll put below this post.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:00 pm If anyone is unsure about GR and route planning, you may find this useful. There's a link to part 2 at the bottom.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... art-1.html
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

Brian G / North Liverpool
AngW

Post by AngW »

Ang - Sheffield
Dave Pegler / Alpine VeloFes

Post by Dave Pegler / Alpine VeloFes »

That sounds like a bit of fun !
.....and something to look forward to.
Almost like going away but not 😂
Already started planning !!
Westergate West Sussex
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Thank to those who have posted up today, I'll add your names to the list this evening.

Stuart, Sammy wants in but can't remember his log in :roll:
Can you help him log in, he doesn't have a computer just his phone, so you may need to hold his hand please :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Is that Sam, as in "Sam"? How's he doing? Legend. Has he spent a night in his own bed recently? (That's not meant to sound like it sounds :wink: ).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Another reason to get involved is that we ALL ride out local areas from our front doors and 99 times out of 100 go to the normal spots that we always do.

With a virtual partner who doesn't ride in your local area choosing your Grid Refs you are guaranteed to find and ride to new places on new trails on this "event"

So sign up and find out what others think of your local area :-bd
waterrat

Post by waterrat »

Ooh I remembered my password!

Emma
Cragg Vale (near Hebden bridge)
West Yorkshire

I may regret this....
RIP

Post by RIP »

waterrat wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:06 pm
I may regret this....
What, regret a couple of days in freezing January rain, with a long evening sat under a tarp wondering why your matches won't light, eating what would have been a delicious meal if it had been hot, slugs crawling all over the place, and trying to work out what bogfest location your GR-partner could possibly be tormenting you with next? Nah, we guarantee you'll love every second :-bd .

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:55 pm Another reason to get involved is that we ALL ride out local areas from our front doors and 99 times out of 100 go to the normal spots that we always do.

With a virtual partner who doesn't ride in your local area choosing your Grid Refs you are guaranteed to find and ride to new places on new trails on this "event"

So sign up and find out what others think of your local area :-bd
+1 I'd never been to the Hope factory until your GR on the WyRT.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm up for this. Only fair as I've given Stu a grid ref in the other thread

Ben - Whetstone, London
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

Thanks to Stuart & John for the tech help. Sounds fun, I’m in.
Don’t die wondering...
siboy

Post by siboy »

Count me in! Simon - Burwell, SE Cambs

Thanks Reg and John :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hey, great to hear from you again Si! Hope all's well out there on the misty flat wastelands :smile: .

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Jay_ACWR wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:30 am Thanks to Stuart & John for the tech help. Sounds fun, I’m in.
Hey Jay, where are you based to be able to add your details to the first post please?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:36 pm Is that Sam, as in "Sam"? How's he doing? Legend. Has he spent a night in his own bed recently? (That's not meant to sound like it sounds :wink: ).
Sorry Reg, yes it is that Sam.
But he's totally useless at remembering passwords
RIP

Post by RIP »

I remember that time in the Star (I don't remember much from the Star, stuff starts to get a bit vague as the evenings progressed) when he told us about the "secret tipi camp" that he'd come across nearby.. what was it he said he'd found in one of the tents... anyway, I just didn't believe him but of course it was all true!

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Wow, this thread has really drawn in some new blood (not in a ritualistic way, despite what the hanging around in damp woods and celebrating the solstices might suggest), or brought some lurkers into the open - either way, welcome :-bd

Clearly this is what the people want - to be sent off into the unknown, on their own, by a stranger on the internet, in January. Who knew?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mm, good point 'Wind, it's great to see everyone joining in. What was that thread a while ago about how to get folks on board? :smile: . As you say, bit of mud, a few slugs, not a dangled mug in sight, and much fun to be had! Who'da thunk.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

If those who have entered can tell others in their social network that would be good too please :-bd