Trans Cambrian Way in November?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Trans Cambrian Way in November?

Post by BreninBeener »

Me and Mrs B have a week off next week. We had thought of 2nd City Divide, or some Peaks adventure but the lockdown has made us reconsider.

So, the Trams Cambrian Way? We live in Snowdonia so are used to wet, but i was wondering how wet its likely to be underfoot and will it pose any difficulties for our gravel bikes? Ive seen Matt Page's ace video where he smashes the route in a few hours in glorious sunshine. Im after some input for mere mortals!

We dont want to be continually forced off our bikes by super steep muddy climbs. We can run tubeless cx knobblies or gravelking sk or also happy to buy the magic tyre that will guarantee joy.

The plan is 2 days for the route, unless its super brutal, and then ride home in a day.

Any input v welcome

Ian
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Trans Cambrian Way in November?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some of the climbing out of Knighton is grassy, so can be a little unpleasant if the ground's sodden. After that conditions tend to firm up (but still with some softer going in places).

Generally, it's probably no worse than anywhere else at this time of year really. There'll be good bits and less good bits but overall, it shouldn't be a bog-fest.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Hi Stu,
Thats great. Thank you.
We shall await a weather window :-)

Ian
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh, I would say that if you're riding home, I'd really not bother going all the way to Dyfi Junction. There's nowt there and you'll simply have to turn round and ride to Mach any way. Might as well just wrap things up there really.
May the bridges you burn light your way
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Stu, thats a fine idea.

Thanks for your help. I will take some photos and write a little account.

Ian
slarge

Post by slarge »

The sunken road before Claerwen might be a little damp, could be better sticking to the road but you have to make an early decision as there’s a river in the way
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Thanks. I will check the route
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Rode it the other way so went down the broken road in the dry ,summer drought year and it was not totally dry then ,on a MTB. Even with that set up the road looked an appealing choice
Up it in the wet with a cross bike - rather you than me- It will be type 2 with an easy alternative so your choice

I also would not worry about the hills out of Knighton as you will be walking up them
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

slarge wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:11 pm The sunken road before Claerwen might be a little damp, could be better sticking to the road but you have to make an early decision as there’s a river in the way
Might... :lol: :lol:
It's practically a river in a draught.

It will be wet, but unlikely to be an unrideable mudfest.
Toughest bits I expect the steep grassy climb near the start in Knighton, nav high up on the "day 1" section if you have low cloud. Sicken road/the river, muddy section leaving Hafren forest, climb out of Staylittle.