January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You could put me up for auction fellas - raise some charity money but please, don't let Dave win. He bears a grudge :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by sean_iow »

Asposium wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:48 am But stu will be picking points for some. 😮
But they will be local to that person, there is nowhere on the Isle of Wight I fear having to go, well as long as one of my references isn't in the Wetherspoons Beer garden* in Newport :lol:

*I call it a garden but it's more an enclosed concrete yard full of fag butts and pi$$ed morons.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin: . Our Dave? Surely not. Interesting idea btw.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

In.

Andy, Manchester.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 am You could put me up for auction fellas - raise some charity money but please, don't let Dave win. He bears a grudge :wink:
Get on this johnclimber. I'm crowdfunding for my bid already
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:10 am
But they will be local to that person,
Ooooo, imagine the pay back. :lol: :o
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:30 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 am You could put me up for auction fellas - raise some charity money but please, don't let Dave win. He bears a grudge :wink:
Get on this johnclimber. I'm crowdfunding for my bid already
I'll put £20 towards Dave's bid. :-bd

I'll up it to £50 if Stu rides to all his points. :YMDEVIL:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

How about we crowdsource Stu's route. By paying £25 per waypoint each to the Air Ambulance. I know where mine is going
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:37 pm How about we crowdsource Stu's route. By paying £25 per waypoint each to the Air Ambulance. I know where mine is going
I get the feeling that every grid-ref would be in the middle of a lake :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about we crowdsource Stu's route. By paying £25 per waypoint each to the Air Ambulance. I know where mine is going
If Reg and John can be arsed to sort this out then I'll take it on the chin. I get the feeling that I'll perhaps need more than 2 days.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

whitestone wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:26 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:37 pm How about we crowdsource Stu's route. By paying £25 per waypoint each to the Air Ambulance. I know where mine is going
I get the feeling that every grid-ref would be in the middle of a lake :lol:
He's got a packraft, what's the problem?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:30 pm
If Reg and John can be arsed to sort this out then I'll take it on the chin. I get the feeling that I'll perhaps need more than 2 days.
I'm sure we can sort something out - apparently it's quite nice on top of Plynlimon early January :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:29 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:30 pm
I'm sure we can sort something out - apparently it's quite nice on top of Plynlimon early January :smile: .
It might be but that's not where I'm sending him
RIP

Post by RIP »

Here's another "raffle" idea then: "Guess Where Dave's Gonna Send Stu Poor Chap".... nearest GR wins something or other....

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

apparently it's quite nice on top of Plynlimon early January
Mike and myself did it one New Years Eve - stupid idea it was, blowing a gale and chucking it down. We stood shivering in the petrol station at Ponterwyd and a bloke asked where we'd come from. We said "over the top of Plynlimon" and he said "Oh, round Nant Y Moch?" and we said "no, over the top". His parting words were "you're f*cking mad, I farm that and I wouldn't venture up there in this" :wink:

Anyway, I digress. I have a suspicion where Dave will be sending me. :grin:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:23 pm
apparently it's quite nice on top of Plynlimon early January
Mike and myself did it one New Years Eve - stupid idea it was, blowing a gale and chucking it down. We stood shivering in the petrol station at Ponterwyd and a bloke asked where we'd come from. We said "over the top of Plynlimon" and he said "Oh, round Nant Y Moch?" and we said "no, over the top". His parting words were "you're f*cking mad, I farm that and I wouldn't venture up there in this" :wink:

Anyway, I digress. I have a suspicion where Dave will be sending me. :grin:
If he wasn’t you’ve given someone else a really good idea.

Any other gems?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Before we get too carried away with Stu's purgatory, perhaps a reminder of the rules

You don't even need to go to all, or indeed any, of them just like the normal Winter Event.

But if we're sponsoring them I would guess he would just for the hell of it :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

That's a great story Stu :smile: . I farm it... cracking...

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:11 am ......but put me down please.

Norm

Good to see we have a new cyclist in the shire.......(please don't let me regret that...)
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

summittoppler wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:29 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:11 am ......but put me down please.

Norm

Good to see we have a new cyclist in the shire.......(please don't let me regret that...)
Good job Stuart is not riding near you this Winter Event,,,, unless I can pick each of your Grid Refs.... - #fight
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Right, lets make Stuart suffer thread has moved from this thread over to this all new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18535
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

...am I too late? If not put me down for it please.
ChrisF, New Mills, Peak District.
It’ll get my lazy arse back out in the hills.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ChrisF wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:35 pm ...am I too late?
No closing date is somewhere around Sunday 13th December.

So loads of time left to get your names down and join the 30 of us who are playing out in early January.

For a bit of help you can work out how far you want to ride from home and sent this info like this to your virtual partner in December

My area to ride is sea on one side and I don't want to cross the water on to the Wirral using public transport. So this is mine which I'll be sending to my virtual partner when it's choses in Mid December

If you want to enter but don't know how to read Grid Refs, simply reach out to anyone of the other riders on the entry list.
I'm sure others will help you pick your GR and help you even plot a route.
Please don't be shy, don't be embarrassed, just ask one of us.
We are here to help
wurzel58dog

Post by wurzel58dog »

I'm in! :lol:
Simon B - Bristol
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Well that's my local lockdown "Bothy" sorted for the Winter Event :-bd

Assuming I can sneak past the gate security :oops:
Last edited by JohnClimber on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.