Vagabond / Fargo advice please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Vagabond / Fargo advice please

Post by Al »

Just bought a vagabond frameset off the classifieds to build up. Nothing swanky planned, just fancy something a bit different.

I get the bars need to be higher than my gravel bike to get the most of using the drop off road. I found a pair of old midge bars I’ve never used in the parts bin to play around with stem length and angle. Does this look in the ball park or do they need to be higher??
7501EC0F-8FE6-44F0-83CD-18989B0283EA.jpeg
(233.44 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
(Won’t be building it up with the Midge bars due to the silly short hooks, probably woodchippers or genetic digest)

What do people with similar bikes reckon please,
BigdummySteve

Re: Vagabond / Fargo advice please

Post by BigdummySteve »

My first thought was Bloody hell the reach is Huge!
My my Fargo is set up with the drops as the primary position, that is the hook of the drop section is at seat height, I’m running a tall stack and a 50mm 30deg stem with very wide (55cm/70cm drops) luckily I started with an uncut steerer.
Ultimately if it’s comfortable for you that’s the main thing but with the drops at seat height they are much more usable off-road, add some ultra wide drops and now the control is up there with flat bars and you still have the multiple positions.

Last edited by BigdummySteve on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

No idea personally but there's tons of pics here to see what people are doing on the Tour Divide:

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/tour-divide-rigs-2019/C
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd consider going higher - some people would disagree and I respect their right to be wrong :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Al

Post by Al »

Hmm, doesn’t look so extreme in the flesh. Think the bars aren’t quite straight but I take your point Steve. At the moment I’m just playing around with what I’ve got to hand to get a feel for it. Normally I’d measure up against another bike I know fits me well, but This seems to involve a lot more guess work!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:11 pm I'd consider going higher - some people would disagree and I respect their right to be wrong :wink:
:lol: :-bd

Al

Post by Al »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 pm My first thought was Bloody hell the reach is Huge!
My my Fargo is set up with the drops as the primary position, that is the hook of the drop section is at seat height, I’m running a tall stack and a 50mm 30deg stem with very wide (55cm/70cm drops) luckily I started with an uncut steerer.
Ultimately if it’s comfortable for you that’s the main thing but with the drops at seat height they are much more usable off-road, add some ultra wide drops and now the control is up there with flat bars and you still have the multiple positions.

Someone’s hidden the stem!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Al wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:14 pm Hmm, doesn’t look so extreme in the flesh. Think the bars aren’t quite straight but I take your point Steve. At the moment I’m just playing around with what I’ve got to hand to get a feel for it. Normally I’d measure up against another bike I know fits me well, but This seems to involve a lot more guess work!
Al, I’ve been through multiple stems, bars etc, I’ve a richey 70mm 35deg stem going spare if you want to experiment

This is what I’m currently running
CYSKY Bike Adjustable Stem ±30° Degree 31.8 50mm Aluminum Alloy MTB Stem Mountain Bike Handlebar Stem for Bicycle, Road Bike, MTB, BMX, Cycling https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CKRZF4S/ ... UTF8&psc=1

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I find this article very useful when setting up dirt drops.

http://www.63xc.com/mattc/midge.htm
Al

Post by Al »

Well she ain’t going to be pretty :lol:

More this?
F05EF3BF-321C-483A-A86E-0A2150E3B0C7.jpeg
(227.11 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Al

Post by Al »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:17 pm
Al wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:14 pm Hmm, doesn’t look so extreme in the flesh. Think the bars aren’t quite straight but I take your point Steve. At the moment I’m just playing around with what I’ve got to hand to get a feel for it. Normally I’d measure up against another bike I know fits me well, but This seems to involve a lot more guess work!
Al, I’ve been through multiple stems, bars etc, I’ve a richey 70mm 35deg stem going spare if you want to experiment

This is what I’m currently running
CYSKY Bike Adjustable Stem ±30° Degree 31.8 50mm Aluminum Alloy MTB Stem Mountain Bike Handlebar Stem for Bicycle, Road Bike, MTB, BMX, Cycling https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CKRZF4S/ ... UTF8&psc=1
Yes please to the stem Steve, I’ll send you a PM
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

All the pics up there look a bit extreme compared to my Fargo. I have a vague recollection that it had a 17° stem. A quick glance at the Vagabond spec says they comed with a 17° 100mm stem as well. Personally I'd start from there once you have some decent drop bars. I had some alpkit bombers that were similar to the Midges and they were horrible. The price of woodchippers seems to have become a bit more sensible but there are always the various Ritchey options or even some Genetic Drisers if you decide you do need a bit more lift.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al

Post by Al »

Fair point about the bars. I guess basing the set up around bars I’m not going to use isnt the wisest!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I probably don't have mine as high as Stu thinks I should but generally high-rise is good.

Steve is bob-on about good wide drop bars. Shallow drops are also good so the height from tops to hooks is not so extreme as more trad bars. It'll also depend on what position you like / are comfy with plus, because you can move around much more than a normal riser, I think it's a more forgiving set-up to "error" / variation.

My favourite bars are Ritchey Venturemax XL. Out of all those I have tried (Midges, woodchippers, Genetic digest and Luxy bars) they are by far the best, for me.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Flats of the bars an inch to two inches above the seat level is my general aim. Ergotech high charisma stems help with this and pretty cheap. Of all the extra flared bars I preferred the Genetic digest / dajia far bars as the ends turn in so your bar end shifters don't stick out.

Surly truck stop bars for less flare but a nice high rise.
Al

Post by Al »

I have the tops level with the saddle on my gravel bike and am comfy in the drops when riding down hill. I wanted this to be more capable off road so definitely leaning towards higher bars to make full use of the drops.
I ordered some genetic digest in the wider size last night so will experiment with stems again when they arive and leave the midge bars alone (anyone want a set?!).
Those ergotec stems look pretty useful for extra ride cheers.
Thanks everyone.
techno

Post by techno »

Al wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:04 am I have the tops level with the saddle on my gravel bike and am comfy in the drops when riding down hill. I wanted this to be more capable off road so definitely leaning towards higher bars to make full use of the drops.
I ordered some genetic digest in the wider size last night so will experiment with stems again when they arive and leave the midge bars alone (anyone want a set?!).
Those ergotec stems look pretty useful for extra ride cheers.
Thanks everyone.
I tried genetic digests Al and have found there isn't enough flat on the bottom of the drops to get comfy for long distances. Shame as otherwise they're great. Maybe hold on to the midges for now.
Looking good though Al. I'm planning on setting my old longitude Frame with drops and single speed when I can too.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

htrider wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:58 pm Flats of the bars an inch to two inches above the seat level is my general aim. Ergotech high charisma stems help with this and pretty cheap. Of all the extra flared bars I preferred the Genetic digest / dajia far bars as the ends turn in so your bar end shifters don't stick out.

Surly truck stop bars for less flare but a nice high rise.
Thanks for the heads-up about the Charisma stem; I've been looking for a high rise stem for a while.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.