Handlebar Harness

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Handlebar Harness

Post by woodsmith »

Another lockdown project while my bung knee heals.
Inspired by ( ripped off) Wildcat Lion and Cactus Love Handle

Front harness https://imgur.com/gallery/2SvggZK

Front harness https://imgur.com/gallery/NmnZWRI

Front harness https://imgur.com/gallery/PMbZyp9
redefined_cycles

Re: Handlebar Harness

Post by redefined_cycles »

Long press the actual pic and then just click URL (in left od my pic). You'll get a message saying 'copied'

Now click on the 'image' icon which I've circled. It'll give you some brackets like this [......] [.......]

Long press between these two brackets. Your copied thing from the IMGUR will show up as wanting to be pasted. Make sure you paste it precisely between both sets of brackets... if you find it hard to hit the spot, then jusy create some 'spacebar' spaces between the 2 sets of brackets first. This will create some space so your fat fingers (assuming they're fat) can grt in between em...

Voila...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

That looks very nicely made :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Thanks for heads up posting pics.
I'm pretty pleased with the harness though it hasn't been used in anger yet. Came out a bit heavier than planned at around 360g.
All materials ( VX21 "coyote", polyester webbing, spacer mesh lining, etc) from Profabrics.co.uk

'G' hooks I already had.

Stiffener to upper half is a flexy chopping board from Argos ( pack of 4 =£5.00)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Nice work, I assume you made the rest of your luggage as it matches.

How do you find the G hooks? Do they stay tight, and how easy is it to pull the free end to tighten them up?

Also, what bars are they?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 am Nice work, I assume you made the rest of your luggage as it matches.

How do you find the G hooks? Do they stay tight, and how easy is it to pull the free end to tighten them up?

Also, what bars are they?
Thanks. Yes I made the other bags. There are more pics on my imgur page.

The G hooks work really well. I've done thousands of miles with them on the bar bag I made without issue. They tighten up and loosen fine. They're steel so a little heavy but no heavier than a plastic side release bukle. Extreme Textil never seemed to have alloy ones in stock when I've ordered other stuff.

The bars are Gusset Stache. Cheap , light and comfortable.

https://www.gussetcomponents.com/shop/s ... tash-bars/

I bought them through Triton Cycles

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/componen ... bar-p13460
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Really good work. I have tried many times to make a few simple bits of luggage and they have all been dreadful.

I am however intrigued by Shaf's attempted thread highjack .... :wink:
I'm just going outside ...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Shaf’s hijacks are just proof that if you go off enough tangents you will eventually get back to the point, a bit like a conversational dodecahedron :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 pm Really good work. I have tried many times to make a few simple bits of luggage and they have all been dreadful.

I am however intrigued by Shaf's attempted thread highjack .... :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought I just did the greatest community service the forum has seen this week. I first noticed Woodsmiths attempt in the 'How to post pics' thread with a test pic. Then noticed he'd not managed to put the picture on this thread. I recalled how Colin and some other folk had helped me when I finally managed to post a pic after 2 years...

The rest as they say is history :-bd Hope everyone likes Joes MSR pegs (they really must be)...
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hi Woodsmith

Nice work, well done.

I’ve been using a Wildcat bar harness, and sometimes it does its job (not catching the front mudguard when the suspension dips), and other times it does NOT, and I can’t quite fathom what causes it to drop.

I’ve studied the way the straps are, underneath the front arch of the fork, back again to thread through, then over the handlebars to thread into the buckle in the harness.

I’m thinking there may well be some better design to keep the harness higher and well clear when the suspension dips.

Does your bag have the same fastening design as the Wildcat ?

And I notice that you don’t have front suspension.

Would your bag work with suspension ? I.e. not dipping to catch the front wheel.

I’ve been recently using an old BP (Bikepack Poland), and the two straps simply loop around the handlebar then back into a buckle with a ‘lid’ that locks it in place.

And it works !
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ericrobo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:59 am Hi Woodsmith

Nice work, well done.

I’ve been using a Wildcat bar harness, and sometimes it does its job (not catching the front mudguard when the suspension dips), and other times it does NOT, and I can’t quite fathom what causes it to drop.

I’ve studied the way the straps are, underneath the front arch of the fork, back again to thread through, then over the handlebars to thread into the buckle in the harness.

I’m thinking there may well be some better design to keep the harness higher and well clear when the suspension dips.

Does your bag have the same fastening design as the Wildcat ?

And I notice that you don’t have front suspension.

Would your bag work with suspension ? I.e. not dipping to catch the front wheel.

I’ve been recently using an old BP (Bikepack Poland), and the two straps simply loop around the handlebar then back into a buckle with a ‘lid’ that locks it in place.

And it works !
I Think that mine is slightly different to the Wildcat Lion in that I omitted the strap which loops over the handlebar.
https://wildcat.cc/pages/wildcat-lion-instructions

I just have the strap which is fixed to the upper part of the harness, loops over the handlebars and ends in a ladderlock.
And a second strap fixed to about 3/4 of the way down the rear part of the harness which loops under the fork through a triglide and is tensioned in the ladderlock on the upper part.

I also added a loop to ( hidden by the foam block) to run a strap around the headtube. I dont think this is featured on thr Wildcat.

I have'nt used it in anger yet but bouncing the front end and riding up and down the kerb outside the house it seems to be rock solid. If it does begin to slip or need constant retightening I could add a couple of cam locks to trap the loose end of the tensioning strap.

as to whether it would work with a suspension fork, I've no idea but i can't see why it shouldn't.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ericrobo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:59 am .

I may be misunderstanding your description, as it doesn't sound like the way that I set up my Lion.

Here is the online description, directly from wildcat

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

belugabob wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:10 pm
ericrobo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:59 am .

I may be misunderstanding your description, as it doesn't sound like the way that I set up my Lion.

Here is the online description, directly from wildcat

The wilcat appears in the drawing ( I've never seen one in the flesh) to have two straps over the handlebar: one leading to the top edge of the harness and the other going down . I omitted the one which goes down.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

There is only one strap, in effect (well, on on the left and one on the right)
It goes over the bar, attaches to the harness, runs down the harness and continues through a buckle, under the fork crown, back up through the buckle and through the ladder lock at the start of the strap