BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: BB200 2020

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:06 am Sounds like it might be time to resurrect the "If we close up for a while" thread! :roll:
Please. No.

😄
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

mattpage wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 pm

I am not sure a national lock down was really needed. If areas need to have stricter lock downs, why not do that?
Call me a cynic...

Maybe because people keep travelling out of higher infection areas into lower infection areas to do stuff they don’t need to do, “and the whole circular sh1t show” keeps rolling on
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 pm The millennium bug non event was because people made a vast amount of effort to ensure it was a non-event. This was mostly done well in advance due to the doom and gloom message so by the time it happened the general public wondered what the fuss was all about. Just like now, some people made a mint out of it but most didn’t.
To be fair it was also identifiable and fixable. Virus are not as easy to tinker with as 8 bit registers
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Y2K. I rather enjoyed my time fiddling about with IT back then. Identifiable and fixable certainly but still quite challenging and interesting. Not 100% compatible with 120/80 though I have to admit. Was C/S Configuration Manager at Pru, and at T*sc@ (it's taken the past 20 years to buy my soul back). Vaguely remember it mainly involving wandering round chatting to lots of developers, managers etc, seeing how things were going, and drinking their tea. Best bit was sitting in a darkened office at 23:59:59 on 31st Dec 1999 with a flask of tea and an apple and a hat on made of tin foil. And my fingers crossed. Great days.

Still, we get another crack at it in 18 years time. I hope Dave and Paul are on the case because I'm well out of it now thank you :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

RIP wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:23 am Still, we get another crack at it in 18 years time. I hope Dave and Paul are on the case because I'm well out of it now thank you :smile:
In the languages I currently use it won't be my problem - we don't do anything with unix time directly and any frameworks / javascript packages will abstract that all away from me. Our databases are good until 9999 apparently so hopefully I'll have retired by then.
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

The Millennium Bug? Ha ha! It didn't affect me or any of my colleagues. We did absolutely nothing to our hardware and software at the time and absolutely nothing happened when we turned the century. I had a client spend £10k on becoming compliant as advised. At the time I also advised them not to bother but like many people, they trusted the powers that be and ended up paying for it. Not unlike the situation we're in today. In time we'll look back and think why the fook did we handle it like that. Remember when we were told about the Iraq WMD which caused us to go to war, later to find out the bar steward in charge was lying to us :oops:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh aye, it was all a massive conspiracy. :roll: Holy feck, are they putting something in the water down there?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It was mostly just laborious for me - we had a couple of apps that were storing the year in 2 digits so they were changed to 4 digits and I had to find any date comparisons in the code base to cope. I think the real issue was mostly with ancient COBOL apps using fixed format databases and the source being lost to the depths of time so short of decompiling and reverse engineering there wasn't really a way to know if things were going to break.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 am Oh aye, it was all a massive conspiracy. :roll: Holy feck, are they putting something in the water down there?
No, just microchips in vaccines... :roll:
WSC
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Maybe because people keep travelling out of higher infection areas into lower infection areas to do stuff they don’t need to do, “and the whole circular sh1t show” keeps rolling on
I assume that's a dig at those attempting the BB200 and me for allowing it to happen?
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:29 am
I assume that's a dig at those attempting the BB200 and me for allowing it to happen?
Not specifically, just an observation of human behaviour. It doesn’t look like people want to modify their behaviour voluntarily so someone has to do it for them.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It doesn’t look like people want to modify their behaviour voluntarily so someone has to do it for them.
I honestly think that the vast majority of people did modify their behaviour and genuinely tried to tow the line but I think there perhaps reaches a point where people begin to question things once they don't seem to quite tally.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Maybe I should study the stats more but I live in a tourist area where we have had a huge influx of people from country wide all summer long. It's been rammed. We are still very low on infection rate. Schools/universities go back and it starts to go through the roof. These are the two environments where it is nigh on impossible to police social distancing. My teacher friends tell me weekly what an utter car crash it is. Seems obvious to me but then again I naively cheered Lance on.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I live in a tourist area and it was also busy throughout the summer, the ferries were fully booked all the time. We have the lowest infection rate in the country. Most of the attractions here are outside things, there's not much to do indoors.

This doesn't help my quest for a third orange badge though :sad: Perhaps I need to brace myself for a winter attempt. At least if it's snowing it might deter the angry farmers and ROW deniers from coming out :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:15 am This doesn't help my quest for a third orange badge though :sad: Perhaps I need to brace myself for a winter attempt. At least if it's snowing it might deter the angry farmers and ROW deniers from coming out :-bd
That had crossed my mind but the lack of daylight makes it of marginal appeal - I've never ridden in Wales before so I'd quite like to see it! I'm thinking March or April next year and my badge will have to wait until October 2021....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I honestly think that the vast majority of people did modify their behaviour and genuinely tried to tow the line but I think there perhaps reaches a point where people begin to question things once they don't seem to quite tally.
I am not sure what you mean by " does not quite tally" but I suggest you re read the BAM thread for when it was not allowed or last ride when we only had an hour and then multiply that by the rest of society

As i see it there is a virus that kills people and people have to stay in and be a bit bored to save lives - now it also appears that many of those asked to stay in[ the young/ those with no underlyng medical condition etc ] are low risk
You also have isolated populations - you Sean on IOW and scotlandshire where they feel their ruralness/remoteness means the rules should not apply to them [ not a dig to be clear]

Personally I expect this to be a long drawn out winter as some comply , some dont and infection rates stay relatively high . Its pretty clear we are a divided country and individualism is winning over the collective good - naturally I blame Thatcher for this

Finally, and I say this with a family member in hospital on a ventitlator due to covid I hope that at the end of this all i [ and you] have to moan about is boredom and mixed messages from the government as the alternative is far far worse.
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 am Oh aye, it was all a massive conspiracy. :roll: Holy feck, are they putting something in the water down there?
I don't have to prove what I say, the facts exist, I'm merely recalling my experiences, whilst drinking the devil's water.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You also have isolated populations - you Sean on IOW and scotlandshire where they feel their ruralness/remoteness means the rules should not apply to them
Yep. We saw the outcome of this on Uist a couple of weeks ago. One case soon led to 30+ and the T&T system showed this was due to car sharing (partly down to the dearth of public transport as it happens).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Firstly, sorry to hear about your relative.
Lazarus wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:17 pm You also have isolated populations - you Sean on IOW and scotlandshire where they feel their ruralness/remoteness means the rules should not apply to them [ not a dig to be clear]
My point wasn't that the rules shouldn't apply, merely an observation that the number of visitors here and the very low infection rate don't seem to collerate.

I don't have any figures for tourist numbers this year, but the ferries were fully booked for weeks. I had to travel for work and getting a booking at the time I wanted required doing it weeks in advance. If we say the ferry takes 200 people a time (it takes many more) and goes every hour, then just the 08:00 to 17:00 period is 10 sailings, so that's 2000 people a day. There are two main car ferries so per week that's 28,000 visitors. These are coming form all over the country and Europe - I can tell this by the registration numbers on the cars. Yet despite this we have very few positive tests, 30 for last week. I believe this is because on the Island there are no big indoor attractions so people don't mix in an indoor setting.

What I was sort of saying is that just stopping traveling isn't the answer if traveling isn't per-say the issue. But traveling is easy to police. Stopping people walking 2 blocks to their mates house to pop in for a cuppa is much harder stop. I've not been inside a house that wasn't mine or my mum's (rear porch to drop the shopping off) since March. Numbers are increasing, even here where we're 6 up from the week before, and I think that is because as the weather gets worse people will meet more people inside. We need to get people to change their attitude to this to stop the spread.

This is now waaay off topic, apologies. Perhaps I should buy and embroidery machine, I could make as many orange badges as I wanted then, I could also make Ralph his mini BAM badge ready for next March, assuming he keeps it up :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Sean I just used the island as an example I was not meaning to say anything about your personal position re Covid or restrictions[ and i thought it had the lowest UK rates per 100,000 hence why I mentioned it ] . I understand it does not read like that . Sorry for the confusion/my error /misrepresentation.
I don't have to prove what I say
You really do - that is how it works.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I was hanging around, and came across this. So thought to add it here. Seems as though the 2020 edition was/is indeed a walk in the park compared to that notorious year!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4445&p=45802#p45802
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I am not sure what you mean by " does not quite tally"
I think both Dave and Sean's posts highlight what I mean.

I would also say, that questioning the current course of action isn't simply because I fancy going to the pub. I do it because the longterm implications of blindly carrying on are massive. Hence my comment yesterday about, for many the cure now seems more harmful than the disease.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

So having had a few days to mull it over, I'm pretty embarrassed / annoyed at my decision to bail. To my knowledge I was still on track for sub 24, I just couldn't be arsed any more (I think partially because of being harangued by farmers, partially because I was burned out on stress from the descents / fear of crashing, partially because of ground conditions).

I've never failed one of these before, and I didn't ever expect my first failure to come from not being able to handle it mentally. I'm going to try and write something up tomorrow on it.

Oh, and I seem to have got a serious case of the squits again post ride, so I assume I must have been eating sheep sh*t during the event. Yay, injury to insult. :cry: