My BB200 2020 (may contain spoilers).

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mattpage

Re: My BB200 2020 (may contain spoilers).

Post by mattpage »

stevewaters wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:31 pm I assumed that descent was The Gap that folk were referring to. - Where is The Gap then ?
The Gap is near Pen y Fan. It followed a long but wide rocky track up and drops to a road near to Libanus. It is called the Gap as there is a little notch between the peaks of Fan y Big and Cribyn

On a MTB it is totally rideable and likewise a gravel bike, but probably much slower with a few tricky spots.

Overall it is a less technical track but due to the rough and more rideable nature of it I think more potential for accidents.
I started immediately before the climb to then ensure I was "fresh" for the descent. Not something I fancied doing in the dark.

It is also a descent that sparked the use of QR tabs (lawyers lips) on disc brake forks back in the mid 00's when a guy sadly broke his neck sued the Fox forks, the manufacturers when his wheel fell out of the forks whilst descending.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 am
Richard G wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 am Does anyone know what that utterly insane descent off the top off the hill after Hay is called? I want to show a friend. Just, holy sh*t.
From looking on strava, is it this bit?

https://www.strava.com/segments/9350747

Olchon Valley Full Descent. -15.9% seems pretty insane to me.
I found the upper section was rideable, but there are a few rocky drops farther down (I walked 100m or so) and then flattens out a bit to grass. It is more tricky in the wet. I imagine in the dry it could be all rideable with a dropper.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The Gap is nothing compared the that descent off Black Hill or whatever its called. I'd argue the rocky descent down to Brinore Tramway is harder too, first couple if drops aside (mostly because it's always wet).
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Richard G wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:47 pm The Gap is nothing compared the that descent off Black Hill or whatever its called. I'd argue the rocky descent down to Brinore Tramway is harder too, first couple if drops aside (mostly because it's always wet).
Yep, Gap is totally rideable compared to the descent off Hay Bluff. Per link from Sean above, it’s called Olchon Valley on Strava but it might have other names.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I reckon Olchon Valley would have been a fun challenge with suspension, a dropper and no luggage, but on the day I wasn't going to chance it, and walked down the rocky drops. The section just above from the cairn was fun though!
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Landslide wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:32 pm I reckon Olchon Valley would have been a fun challenge with suspension, a dropper and no luggage, but on the day I wasn't going to chance it, and walked down the rocky drops. The section just above from the cairn was fun though!
This ^
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Looking forward to see how Juliet Elliott got on....seems like she will put a YouTube video out on Tuesday. Can't wait to relive the pain!
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I went to take my GoPro but turned it on with only 20% battery so left it.

Probably for the best as it would have mostly involved me shouting and swearing at Stu!! ;)

I know she said she hadn't planned to stop out and was going to keep riding, so it will be interesting to see what happened.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

33hrs 15. Took 1hr 45 mins off last years' time but with the unfortunate issue of 5 hours less sleep. :roll: Was hoping for a sub-30 but those hopes were dashed in the first 8 hours.

Thanks to Steve, Andy and my Lockdown buddy Landslide for the company over the weekend.

Loved it all (well almost all of it). The turnips, my god, the turnips.

Full report, not so much glorious technicolour as I tried to stay focused.
https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... dging.html

If I'm feeling brave I might try it again in the spring just for kicks to see what I could do with a lighter ride. :oops:
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
slarge

Post by slarge »

Great write up Trep , it brings back all the memories of one of the hardest rides I’ve done!! I think it was Steve Waters you met not me - I failed to finish a day or 2 earlier.”
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one ☝️

I saw one of the flip-flops on the steep push and thought “Who the f*** carries flip-flops up here?” I didn’t pick it up. I never saw its mate.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

Brilliant write up Trep, some proper laugh-out-loud bits too! A wry chuckle at the bit where you write that you stopped for a pee and put on your gaiters to protect against splashes... :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm sorry about the flip flops. They were to be my emergency river fording kit. I know I'm really bad at coping with wet shoes.
I feel bad they ended up littering the environment. I tried to atone by collecting a plastic bottle and a couple of disposable lighters en route.
:cry:
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

My sad ending. 150Km ridden in total. Was well on for a <24hrs ride so crying at home now!

Included entertainment of being stopped by the police and asked where I’d come to Wales from (was fine as soon as I mentioned the Yorkshire Dales!), presumably an anti-Scouser campaign, and having to walk over the pickup that the farmer had tried to block the RoW with at Oldcastle Court Farm. I must say though every other person and every other farmer I saw was very happy and smiley.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I was thinking of taking my Cutty. Which bars did you break?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:01 pm I was thinking of taking my Cutty. Which bars did you break?

They are, or rather were, :roll: :roll: :roll: carbon woodchippers
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ChrisE wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:01 pm I was thinking of taking my Cutty. Which bars did you break?

Gulp
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
slarge

Post by slarge »

Was it a crash Chris or amazing power up all the hills?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Or something to do with the tent poles?
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

slarge wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:18 am Was it a crash Chris or amazing power up all the hills?
Sadly it was not the power up the hills. It was the total numptyness crashing on a pretty rough bit of farm track and probably lack of concentration. As always it wasn’t a particularly gnarly bit which is probably the reason for a lapse.
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:23 am Or something to do with the tent poles?
After about 30km of road and not having any gears, I released I could move the poles 150mm to the RHS and zip tie the floppy bit to it. It was still pretty unstable but at least allowed me to have a few gears to go at.
Dave Barter wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 am
ChrisE wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 pm

Gulp
It sounds like we need to give DB a really wide berth on crashy-bits otherwise swearing might go off the scale! I ‘upgraded’ to carbon as they are far more comfortable on vibrations etc but I might have to re-think that. It would be a bummer if this happened mid way into a 2700mile ride!

Chris
slarge

Post by slarge »

Chris, I would talk to the handlebar supplier - they’ll probably be horrified and you might get some replacement bars - I know that’s the score with mt zoom bars
ChrisE

Post by ChrisE »

I'll try. I don't know enough about c-fibre but there are no frilly fibre bits hanging out at the break. I wonder if they weren't well laid?

Mind, not as much as Dave Barter is now wondering!! :shock: :shock:

C
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Here's my account, rather a series of vignettes - http://bobwightman.blogspot.com/2020/10 ... ition.html
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Enjoyed that Bob. Kind of sums up the stuff that goes round in your head on a long 'un :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Nice Bob!
A few very similar thoughts have already made it into my account...