Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by BigdummySteve »

A solid 90 miles this week filled in some annoying holes and bumped me up to a healthy 41x41
Lots of work now to progress
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Impressive that HOTT. Favourite square?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I’d vote for somewhere round Snowshill of that map, maybe Belas Nap
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Currently working my way through a secondary "cluster" that I'll append to my main one over the course of the next couple of months. It needed one awkward square that could have been done by a short "out and back" along a loch shore but I thought it deserved better so "conquered" the massive wee hill of Binnien Shuas yesterday. Great views.

ImageDSC_1669-PANO by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Been off the bike since September 1st, due to a dodgy hip.
Missed out on what seemed like a perfect September for riding, so pretty gutted.
Have done a couple of 10km flat routes on Zwift, and building back up towards actual bike rides again.
Been planning lots of future tile hunting, and just heard that a friend is moving right into the centre of one of my target areas, so I'll be able to use his driveway as a starting point for my explorations.

P.S. I didn't get the "Chain in the wrong place" comment, either and, following the 'explanation', I don't get why the quicklink couldn't have been removed/refitted
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 pm Impressive that HOTT. Favourite square?
Favourite square? While there have been many one particularly sticks in my mind, close to Banbury I stopped on a track and got the brew kit out, sitting in the sun enjoying my brew, surrounded by buttercups and serenaded by skylarks all my worries just evaporated.

My other favourite isn’t part of the main square yet, that last downhill off the ridgeway, the anticipation of the spectacular Avebury stone circle is like unwrapping a present.

RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm all my worries just evaporated
:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

i like maps and am interested in maybe giving this veloviewer thing a go. although it will go againt my mantra of 'no gods, no masters, no lycra, no strava.'

ive de-googled my android phone ages ago and since then some apps wont work. most do. strava seems to be one of these that needs 'google play services.'

my question is, can i record gpx files (via osmand/garmin) and then upload them to strava on the computer? and then veloviewer them that way? is that a thing? can i do that? thanks
Dean

Post by Dean »

shutupthepunx wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:46 pmmy question is, can i record gpx files (via osmand/garmin) and then upload them to strava on the computer? and then veloviewer them that way? is that a thing? can i do that? thanks
I take my GPX files direct from the memory of the Garmin Map64S (or from Basecamp) and upload individual files to Strava's website through Chrome on my PC using the Veloviewer Chrome app.
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

great, thanks for that
composite

Post by composite »

I'm actually still at 40x40. The purple square marked on this image, I believe is 51x51, which could be as little as 5 rides away depending on what I decide to do.

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Good stuff Neil :-bd

I'm 3 rides off 55x55 and after that I'm at the stage where all the rides are 1hr 20m or so away. Regularly driving big distances to ride a bike doesn't sit entirely right with me tbh. Although I'll probably still do it...
composite

Post by composite »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:41 pm
I'm 3 rides off 55x55 and after that I'm at the stage where all the rides are 1hr 20m or so away. Regularly driving big distances to ride a bike doesn't sit entirely right with me tbh. Although I'll probably still do it...
Yeah, this is somewhat my dilemma at the moment and probably the reason that it will take me more than 5 rides. That bottom edge could be done in 1 long one and one shorter mostly off-road ride but if I don't want to drive it will probably be 3 long ones.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A train out to telford and then a ride to wolverhampton via a slightly circuitous route would help take care of most if not all of the NW corner
Last edited by PaulB2 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:41 pm Regularly driving big distances to ride a bike doesn't sit entirely right with me tbh. Although I'll probably still do it...
composite wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:51 pm if I don't want to drive it will probably be 3 long ones.
You two are obviously not fully committed to this, the obvious thing is to move house and then start collecting the squares around that, when you have a 50x50 linked up with your current square you move house again and so on :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am
You two are obviously not fully committed to this, the obvious thing is to move house and then start collecting the squares around that, when you have a 50x50 linked up with your current square you move house again and so on :lol:
This is actually the seed of a decent idea Sean, but instead of buying a new house we could just swap with other boners once we've don'e our 50x50. I think there's about a 50x50 square between mine and Neils so if we could find a third person who lives in that gap, probably around Stafford, then we could all rotate for the next 2 years or so. :-bd

Needs Reg to set up some sort of register/algorithm...
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Went for a spin yesterday to Chesterfield to grab a few tiles and was surprised that I improved to 45x45 as I thought I needed to head out East to improve.

Like others I do not want to get into the car too grab tiles but I do sometimes use a train. A bit less this year as, believe it or not, train rides to increase your VV score is not considered essential!

A number of 5-7 hour rides required to increase score.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm
Favourite square? While there have been many one particularly sticks in my mind, close to Banbury I stopped on a track and got the brew kit out, sitting in the sun enjoying my brew, surrounded by buttercups and serenaded by skylarks all my worries just evaporated.

My other favourite isn’t part of the main square yet, that last downhill off the ridgeway, the anticipation of the spectacular Avebury stone circle is like unwrapping a present.
So - not the one at the back of Nationwide, in Swindon, then?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

belugabob wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:26 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm

So - not the one at the back of Nationwide, in Swindon, then?
I thought we’d agreed to never mention that again :o

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Has anybody else noticed this on VV?

On the map screen a small camera icon has appeared in the top right corner.....
If you do an update and dab the check for new segments button, VV imports all the pics (or at least a URL thumbnail) from Strava so you can view them in VV. If you select the VV map and your pics are geotagged then they come up on the map at their respective locations. I thought it was quite good, but I daresay this was all discussed weeks ago and I missed it.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Nope, only noticed it today. I like it, that feature is one of the things I like about apple photos, it’s like a little photo album of your travels.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pickers wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 am Has anybody else noticed this on VV?

On the map screen a small camera icon has appeared in the top right corner.....
If you do an update and dab the check for new segments button, VV imports all the pics (or at least a URL thumbnail) from Strava so you can view them in VV. If you select the VV map and your pics are geotagged then they come up on the map at their respective locations. I thought it was quite good, but I daresay this was all discussed weeks ago and I missed it.
It was mentioned on their Facebook feed a couple of weeks ago, with links to their blog.

https://blog.veloviewer.com/viewing-all ... eloviewer/
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Third post on page 70:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108374.1725

We have all been there.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Blackhound wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:53 am Third post on page 70:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108374.1725

We have all been there.
:lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Finally got a personal laptop so thought I'd download the VV extension for Chrome and have a browse on the strava route planner. Work laptop doesn't let me download any extra software. Just discovered that I can't get to it, guessing it's a premium feature only

Have others been doing something to get around this?