A Severe Case of TMS

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Re: A Severe Case of TMS

Post by Shewie »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:50 pm
what sort of problems did you have?
It was a level of pain that was hard to describe but any movement of the knee was dreadful. I assumed it was perhaps motorbike crashes that had caught up with me but after 6 weeks of physio it was fine. However, no feeling of bone on bone though.
I think you might be onto something,first google turned this up ..

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/c ... now-329957
Anterior knee pain: pain at the front of the knee
Pain at the front of the knee is very common, and its proper name is ‘anterior knee pain’. Usually, it’s caused by tightness in the quads or the fibrous tissue that runs alongside the outer leg – the 
Iliotibial band – pulling on the patella (knee cap). This can be down to bike fit, or tightness as a result of a lack of maintenance or overuse.

Monger-Godfrey explains: “The main thing to look at is the patella [knee cap]. Everyone talks about patella tracking, or malfunction of the patella, basically the way the knee cap glides over the joint. Often people will say the patella gets ‘stuck’, feels like it clicks or gives way.”

Foam roller ordered off fleabay
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Jurassic wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 pm I'm glad you managed the drive home safely Rich and hope you get the knee problem sorted out soon. Keep in touch and once you're feeling a bit better maybe we can arrange the trip in the borders we spoke about. The Confucious bars will be going on my bike tomorrow and the fake loops will be going in the parts bin. :wink:
I managed to get as far as the A66 and then zonked out in a layby until 04:30, got home just as Carol was putting the kettle on :grin:
Defo up for the Borders or anything else mate, just need to get this knee sorted and I'll be good to get out again.

Thanks again for bailing me out, I think the alternative was an expensive few days in the Whistlefield :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Shewie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 pm
Defo up for the Borders or anything else mate, just need to get this knee sorted and I'll be good to get out again.

Thanks again for bailing me out, I think the alternative was an expensive few days in the Whistlefield :-bd
Good, good, that's something to look forwards to then. No worries picking you up, it's been great catching up after all these years. :cool:
'
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Apologies for not following up on some route help. Sorry you'll not be in Lochgilphead for a cuppa. You got to the start line though and did some exploring. 👍🏻👍🏻
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Shewie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:50 pm
A few words about the two days I did actually spend in the saddle (apart from when I was pushing and swearing a lot)........
I now have unfinished business, what I saw of the route it was lovely, tough in places but I'll be better prepared next time. The knee isn't great, I think I might have some patella movement going on, things click and pop after I've sat down, I've rung the docs and now awaiting a telephone consultation, in the meantime I'm giving glucosamine a try.
You've done honest write up I had a DNF trying the Mary Townley loop, South Pennines, very wet and more climb g & HAB than anticipated. My kit list just had Less food and clothing... Like you parried it down & used almost every thing. Sounds like we both learnt a lot...
Last edited by ledburner on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Sounds like a great first trip to me.
I also had knee issues that have largely resolved now. Being 'match fit' definitely helps. The more muscle you have going on in the leg and arse the better. I would suggest riding stuff that is as flat as possible once you can get back on the bike. Do that for a bit to build yourself up. If you come to the Borders then I can recommend a flat route for you. You will also have pushed yourself harder by riding with a friend on day one. The other thing to think about is getting a bike fitting done. Knee pain can often be caused or made worse by incorrect saddle height, though there a lot of other adjustments that might help too.
Well done for getting out there. Get yourself a decent physio and you will be back again in no time.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:59 am
Shewie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:50 pm Well that was short and sweet, I'd started

A few words about the two days I did actually spend in the saddle (apart from when I was pushing and swearing a lot)........
I now have unfinished business, what I saw of the route it was lovely, tough in places but I'll be better prepared next time. The knee isn't great, I think I might have some patella movement going on, things click and pop after I've sat down, I've rung the docs and now awaiting a telephone consultation, in the meantime I'm giving glucosamine a try.
You've done honest write up I had a DNF trying the Mary Townley loop, South Pennines, very wet and more climb g & HAB than anticipated. My kit list just had Less food and clothing... Like you parried it down & used almost every thing. Sounds like we both learnt a lot...
I thought I had a bit too much stuff. I will ditch most of the wash kit., only one power bank.. I made some unlined pogies 34g, so didn't extra gloves. The ti mug was essential & Alpkit Ti thermo mug a luxury., I will look at beer can meths instead of mini gas stoves, mostly saving bulk..
I had a wet & windy night first night. Ground so wet Pegs pulled n thrown. Result wet sleeping bag... Result wet second night in waterproofs & still in dry socks to protect me from a wet bag, synthetic thankfully.

I post ride, annual serviced bike on return, founddodgy Deore hollowtech BB, with a seized bearing, maybe I was fitted than I though and will get further up the hills... Less Hike-a-Bike, :grin:
Fun untarnished, I'll marked it down as unscheduled overload training... :grin: :???:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..