Re: BB200 2020

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

does the route have a finisher yet?
Not as far as I'm aware Shaf.
May the bridges you burn light your way
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I am committed now to starting from the Fforest Inn at first light on Saturday.

Hopefully, I will be meeting up with Alex for dinner at the pub on the Friday evening.

My target is to get round in less that 24 hours if I can stay awake and not get too bogged down!

Really looking forward to it ! - Despite climbing, mountaineering and mountain biking for 35 years, I have never been to the Brecon Beacons nor to the Black Mountains although I did do a few of the Merida MTB events from Builth Wells and have galloped a cob horse across The Begwns:
P1020577.JPG
(53.94 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
Last edited by stevewaters on Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Just for the sake of posteriority; I'm really enjoying the terror, fomo and insecurity of this year's mobile start date scenario.

It's really added an element of personal responsibility and inevitable erroneousness to the whole proceedings (which was obviously lacking! :grin: :grin: :grin: )
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Following the line exactly probably isn't the best idea (I've seen it go through rivers and forests on long turns)... but it'll give you a vague idea.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

If I have enough dry weather to finish the job I am doing at the moment I hope to set off towards the end of next week from Builth Wells early morning in the wildly optimistic hope that I might get to Crickhowell for late food . I know most of the route after the much discussed track/river to beyond the gap so if I end up there in the dark it should help !
Any ideas on a place to leave the Van in Builth .

Good luck to everyone out there and heading out this weekend
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Raggedstone wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:34 pm If I have enough dry weather to finish the job I am doing at the moment I hope to set off towards the end of next week from Builth Wells early morning in the wildly optimistic hope that I might get to Crickhowell for late food . I know most of the route after the much discussed track/river to beyond the gap so if I end up there in the dark it should help !
Any ideas on a place to leave the Van in Builth .

Good luck to everyone out there and heading out this weekend
The Groe car park is £4 a day for a car. You can get a ticket for multiple days.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

stevewaters wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:01 pm I am committed now to starting from the Fforest Inn at first light on Saturday.

Hopefully, I will be meeting up with Alex for dinner at the pub on the Friday evening.

My target is to get round in less that 24 hours if I can stay awake and not get too bogged down!

Really looking forward to it ! - Despite climbing, mountaineering and mountain biking for 35 years, I have never been to the Brecon Beacons nor to the Black Mountains although I did do a few of the Merida MTB events from Builth Wells and have galloped a cob horse across The Begwns:
P1020577.JPG
Nice looking Cob, you may regret not riding him this time!
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Thanks macinblack I feel a plan coming together oh hell
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'm starting in Kington on Friday afternoon on the 300 route. It's possible that either the Sat AM starters will be in my tyre tracks or the other way round (depending where we overlap and split)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I do like the concept of an afternoon start for the 300. Definitely like the idea of most things still being open when you're utterly knackered in the back half of the ride (and being more alert for the sections in the dark).
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I have some unexpected time off from work over the next few days, not back until next Tuesday. I would really like to do this, but my problem is that I don't have a GPS nav thing, as I didn't end up getting one a couple of months back.

Is there an Old Skool version of being able to do this with grid references for an OS map? No stress if there is isn't, I was just going to give my ride a general sense of purpose!

Cheers
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've seen it done with paper maps, but it was slow going.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Cheddar Man wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:36 am I have some unexpected time off from work over the next few days, not back until next Tuesday. I would really like to do this, but my problem is that I don't have a GPS nav thing, as I didn't end up getting one a couple of months back.

Is there an Old Skool version of being able to do this with grid references for an OS map? No stress if there is isn't, I was just going to give my ride a general sense of purpose!

Cheers
Download The OS maps to your phone and use that? Youll need a usb battery pack too though.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheddar Man wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:36 am I have some unexpected time off from work over the next few days, not back until next Tuesday. I would really like to do this, but my problem is that I don't have a GPS nav thing, as I didn't end up getting one a couple of months back.

Cheers

your welcome to use my Edge 1030, I live in Banbury just off the M40
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have some unexpected time off from work over the next few days, not back until next Tuesday. I would really like to do this
Perhaps that's a little unfair on those who paid to enter and ride?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:43 am
I have some unexpected time off from work over the next few days, not back until next Tuesday. I would really like to do this
Perhaps that's a little unfair on those who paid to enter and ride?
Eh, what is that about? Obviously I would have paid to enter! That is why I was asking if there was another way of getting the route.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Eh, what is that about? Obviously I would have paid to enter!
In that case my first question would likely have been "I realise entries closed at the end of last month but is it still possible to enter?"
Doesn't make that intent clear.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Weather looking a little more promising on Saturday now. However, heavy rain on Thursday means it's still likely to be pretty soggy by then I'd have thought.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am
Eh, what is that about? Obviously I would have paid to enter!
In that case my first question would likely have been "I realise entries closed at the end of last month but is it still possible to enter?"
Ah. TBF, I'd assumed that the nature of this years event didn't mandate a closed entry list as there was less of a problem with numbers.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Richard G wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:02 am Weather looking a little more promising on Saturday now. However, heavy rain on Thursday means it's still likely to be pretty soggy by then I'd have thought.
Yep. The "gentle breeze" part of the forecast is very good at least. Navigating through substanbdard muddy trails is part and parcel but doing it into a headwind for 12 hours really takes the gloss off the experience imo :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, as someone on the lighter side of the weight scale, wind is a huge issue for me. I'd rather it be hammering down than windy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ah. TBF, I'd assumed that the nature of this years event didn't mandate a closed entry list as there was less of a problem with numbers.
Perhaps so Colin but in the current situation, it's still a numbers game ... reduced amenities, parking and maybe even a reduction in that usual, warm Welsh welcome (amongst certain members of the population) mean that it can't be open season entirely. I appreciate that people might think I'm simply a miserable tw@t but generally there's a good reason behind things. Why is it folk are encouraged not to ride the HT last week in May? :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

The midges and biblical weather?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The midges and biblical weather?
Apart from those.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

FFS, managed to get my bike into the shop (not had a lot of use in last year and a half) and the front brake lever is toast (lever doesn't return). Second time I've had it happen. First time with XT, this time with XTR.

Don't know if I'm going to be able to get it sorted in time to get out on Monday. Plus the small matter of the £200 to replace it.

Edit - Magnificent, there's no stock anywhere that I can see. At least not if I want to do the ride next Monday / Tuesday.