Suggest a backpack

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest a backpack

Post by redefined_cycles »

So after yesterdays little attempt at the BB200 I learnt a bit more about myself and my setup. Don't get on with seatpack on my dropperpost (nor is the dropper post designed for so much weight). I also got reminded that after many miles of climbing (read: walking uphill), when I finally faced DH and dropper dropped, there just wasn't enough 'bum back over saddle' room to get any decent desencing done.

Firstly problem I'd fixed with doing a bit of manual pulling up of thw saddle to get it extended. Second problem I alleviated by using the Osprey-apple backback and I just threw the Revelate saddle harness with drybag in there and backpacked it.

Now the question is, can someone please suggest me a backback thats comfy (I'm coming from Osprey standard biking backpacks and Deuter so I do wanna go one step up and not down) and hopefully waterproof for long events. Evertyhing that I'd have stored in saddlepack will be on my back with water still carried inside framebag.

A few chouces I've seen already are the Alpkits Gourdon as well as the Sea To summit... Both around 20 to 25 litres which is ample but I can't help thnking there must be better, lighter, comfier options if I wanted to spend a little more. Anyone know what they are (I had thought abiut asking over on TrekLites but they'll be using 35 and 50 litre types of packs so too big for BPing)...

Thanks
ScotRoutes

Re: Suggest a backpack

Post by ScotRoutes »

I used a (very old) KimmSac on last years Cairngorms Loop so that I could use a minimal saddle bag and a dropper. They're now called OMM and specialize in lightweight kit. Think Mountain Marathons and the like.

Mine is 25L and meant I only required a very small saddle bag (3L) and a small additional bag in a Gorilla Cage. Of course the investment then has to be made in very lightweight and compact kit so that it's not uncomfortable carrying it.

Truth is, for most of my bikepacking I simply accept the fact that I can't lower the saddle and ride accordingly. It's only since last year I've had a dropper on my fatbike. I still don't have one on the #gradventourer. It's possible to ride downhill without one 😁

If the seatpost is lowering itself under the minimal additional weight of a saddle bag then it needs serviced/repaired. If it's just not springing back up fully than that also suggests it needs serviced.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 am Firstly problem I'd fixed with doing a bit of manual pulling up of thw saddle to get it extended.
Sounds more like your posts needs to be checked for pressure. They can easily push a few kg given the correct air pressure.
If it says 200 - 250 psi, try 250 psi.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Double post, sorry
Last edited by JohnClimber on Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Have it all on your bike, bar bag, frame bag, stem cells will carry the majority.
Or change your seat post for this one ride and use your seat pack.
There is nothing on the 200 that I can see that would need a dropper post, and if you did need to drop your post for technical bits, there's no harm in pushing down those bits anyway.
If you go hell for leather down any technical bits there's a chance you'll be in a Covid filled A&E miles from home and miles from your car for quite a while. Is it worth it?

But if you need a back pack, I'd suggest a Osprey or Deuter as you first said.
The Alpkit Gourdon is a great day bag for walking, or just for throwing in the car for days out or even for pack rafting trips. But I'd hate to use mine on a bike ride as its not designed for that and will be all over the place.

#twopenneth
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you already have an Osprey bag that you were using and fits your stuff..... do you REALLY NEED a new one? Or has your shiny new gear radar engaged on auto mode? :smile:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Quite possibly my packing strategy into the saddlepack was very poor (quite a few heavy items and non-malleable). The seatpost just been serviced and springs up like a rocket when unloaded. Weight on the rails was probably more like 2 to 2.5kg :smile:

Regards riding a non-dropper... I do remember a time when I knew how to do that :grin: but maybe over time the geometry changes have meant the desgns are more accustomed to being used with droppers :???:

Long story short... I'll be using a 1L or 3L max on the saddles and stick the rest on the back... slowly the lighterweight gear is being invested in (the Tundra was supposed to have arrived by now but unfortunately it hasnt :| )...

Sorry, the long story short was meant to be that I will be using a backpack from now on these longer 'stupid' type rides. Only question is what :smile:
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:52 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 am Firstly problem I'd fixed with doing a bit of manual pulling up of thw saddle to get it extended.
Sounds more like your posts needs to be checked for pressure. They can easily push a few kg given the correct air pressure.
If it says 200 - 250 psi, try 250 psi.
When I topped up the pressure Gian, post service, I pushed as much in as I could with my RockShox pump... Think I got to somewhere close to 200 or above before it became impossible to pump. Then when releasing the valve it'd lose a few (actually about 20) psi I believe...
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:59 pm If you already have an Osprey bag that you were using and fits your stuff..... do you REALLY NEED a new one? Or has your shiny new gear radar engaged on auto mode? :smile:
Hmmm... Harness is broken :o and its a bit heavy (more like 800g too heavy :-bd ) and the shiny new-gear radar might have gone auto :lol:
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:35 pm If you go hell for leather down any technical bits there's a chance you'll be in a Covid filled A&E miles from home and miles from your car for quite a while. Is it worth it?

#twopenneth
Thabks John and Agreed... not worth it at all and have always ensured I have a low threshold for walking. Just when there is a rideable section I like to enjoy it a little (without going 'hell for leather') and keep it as safe as poss
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Shaf, pardon me for a moment, I'm just going to leap in here and hope that nothing I subsequently write is taken other than in the very best meaning way... :oops:

You've written about many of the long rides you've done and seem well fit enough to take on any of the adventure challenges around. You obviously have a good selection of kit, so you should have more than enough of the right equipment for the same. But it seems you are looking for some sort of "perfection" that might just be unattainable. I do think it's too easy to read threads on here (Postman / Bargains) and just pick up on whatever the crowd is doing or be attracted by the shiniest new kit. And that does have an advantage in that new kit makes you (me) want to use it.

Reading the threads on "Improving Bikepacking" and "Group Rides" I'm reminded that most of us arrived at our current level of preparedness through a long period of trail-and-error and of gradually improving our skills and equipment. It seems to me that you're adopting more of a scattergun approach -try it, dump it, move on - instead of sticking with it for a while. Now, it may be that you are time-crunched and so can't afford the luxury of teasing out the improvements and developing your own preferences. That process can take a while after all. Thing is, I doubt it's ever really complete. I look at my equipment and packing list from 8-9 years ago and wonder what I was thinking, but it made sense at the time. I'm sure I could repeat the process again in another few years and do the same.

In short - you have what it takes to do these events. Get out there and stop fretting over kit.
:-bd
redefined_cycles

:cool: Not taken out of context at all. Remember I've only ever done 1 x 200km successfully and all others failed :-bd

Plus, with the saddlepacks, I have the Ortlieb already for the roadie and hadn't used the Revelate (bought for mtb big days) in anger. Did Thursday and quickly realised my previous setup (just a 1L on last years BB) was just right and carrying a bit of kit on my back wasn't too bad (summat I've always done pre bikepacking).

Refining is good :-bd and I've managed to select some good stuff and move others on to a good home :grin: one things for certain... My MTBbatts Lumenator is some real good stuff :smile:
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I use one of these on a regular basis, I know some have strong opinions on not wearing backpacks but I generally forget I’m wearing it.

https://www.northernrunner.com/running- ... lack-p3161

The vest style straps don’t work so well for drop bar bikes (the bag starts to ride up) but for the more upright positioning you have on most MTB set ups it works a treat.

There’s no frame, so you can’t cram it full, and you can’t carry heavy stuff comfortably.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Have we established it's not about the gear and Shaf doesn't need another pack then? Not that I think he'll ignore it all and just get something else anyway :wink:

In that case I'd suggest (an oldie but a goodie) a Wingnut pack.

https://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Wingnut-rucksacks
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I quite liked the look of the henty enduro pack that was reviewed a few months ago on BBB. I was going to try one of those once my current deuter pack dies though that might not be for a while.
redefined_cycles

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:37 pm I quite liked the look of the henty enduro pack that was reviewed a few months ago on BBB. I was going to try one of those once my current deuter pack dies though that might not be for a while.
Piemonster, thanks for that...

CheekyM, never considered the Wingnuts as always assumed they're just the little hyper versions. Plus you get a free book and its only 500ish grams. Might be onto a winner...

Paul, never knew Stu reviewed a bag. Thought it'd be against his ethos but will check it out. I think budget is about 50 as thats what I reckon I'll get for the Revelate holster/bag combo. You're Deuter, yes, you might be waiting many years. Mine hasn't died in 20 years and I finally gave up trying (a buckle needs replacement but thats it).

Thanks all and yeah, I think a light pack on my bike for mtb instead of on my saddle is defo the way forward for me (maybe a Shrew or something of about 2 or 3L max on the saddle might be ok but that's about it... :-bd

Thanks all again and please don't forget to vote on the waterfall comp as it's not outside funded (funded by myself) so would be appreciated if we got some decent voting going on. Especially since the pic-takers seem to have done a nice job (thanks them)...
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Alpkit gourdon is crude but comfy as long as you don’t overpack it.
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

I've got a Henty Enduro pack - used it on this year's WRT as it happens.. I like it a lot for day to day riding when you're not carrying much, and I like it when I need an easy way to carry water and a few tools etc on my back while bikepacking, as I prefer to have everything else on the bike - but a water bladder, tubes, snacks, phone etc is all you can really get in it. You'd struggle to get a proper jacket in, let alone anything larger.