Ride Analysis - Split checks and the like?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Ride Analysis - Split checks and the like?

Post by Richard G »

So I'm thinking if I'm going to get around this 200 then I'm going to have to be very careful not to push too hard and put my hip / right leg into a place where it wont recover (I've been having massive problems with pain / circulation on the longer trainer rides).

Does anyone know any sites that I can upload some of my rides to and it'll give me average speed / hr for blocks of the ride? So say, 1st 20k was x speed, second was y speed etc. I can't risk a long ride before I do the BB200 as it takes me quite a while to recover from it now, so I'm hoping to get an idea of a pace that will get me around without cooking me.

Cheers.

(and yes, I know it's supposed to be fun, and this is all a bit scientific, but obviously I'm a very different rider now to who I was)
Alpinum

Re: Ride Analysis - Split checks and the like?

Post by Alpinum »

Richard G wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:07 am trainer rides
Is that something to eat?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Doesn’t velo viewer combined with a strava subscription give you that sort of data - I presume that’s what the pro teams are using it for.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I doubt it’ll make much difference to assuming a 10kph average moving speed.

For the avoidance of injury just ride to what your body tells you, rather than some vague algorithm
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

If I could ride to what my body tells me, I wouldn't keep injuring myself / screwing bits up! I only really know how to go fairly all out. Case in point, I can barely walk today after yesterday's session.
PaulB2 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:44 am Doesn’t velo viewer combined with a strava subscription give you that sort of data - I presume that’s what the pro teams are using it for.
Hmm. I no longer have a subscription but maybe it's there for some of my old stuff?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Isn't it easiest to just do that off Strava Rich? You can get a time and distance at any point along the ride profile:

and then compare with another point further on to get your ave speed over that bit:

=12.1 km/h I think
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Aye, could do it manually but I was looking to analyse about 10 rides so that might take a while! Tis a backup option though, cheers.

Edit - OK, so it turns out Veloviewer does still work for old rides. Doesn't exactly do what I need it to do, but you can do "best splits" and display say, 10 x 10k.

I can also look at all my hill segments throughout the route and watch myself getting slower and slower as time goes on. :lol:

Just found one hill that I averaged 1.6mph on. I assume it must have been dragging up a tussock filled nightmare.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Trouble is Rich that the terrain changes - wet and soft will be a lot slower than dry and hard. And loaded bike is slower than unloaded. I would work off heart rate or power if you can - set your heart rate alarms to your anaerobic threshold minus a bit and that should stop you working too hard. Or slow down if you start sweating (that's a tricky one as that's very variable).

Force yourself to go easy, and talk to the animals - if you can hold a conversation then a) everyone will leave you alone, and b) you'll not be working too hard :-bd

And eat every hour - and don't go into deficit - it's hard to get back from that

Other than that - take it easy and finishing slowly is much better than not finishing fast!!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

slarge wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:49 pm Trouble is Rich that the terrain changes - wet and soft will be a lot slower than dry and hard. And loaded bike is slower than unloaded. I would work off heart rate or power if you can - set your heart rate alarms to your anaerobic threshold minus a bit and that should stop you working too hard. Or slow down if you start sweating (that's a tricky one as that's very variable).
That's why I want the split data. I want to look at how I previously pushed myself towards the starts of the ride and not go anywhere near it. Can't really slow down that much when it comes to hills though as I'm limited by my gears (and sub 60rpm would ruin me as I have no muscle any more).

The idea is that by going slower at the start I can be less ruined towards the end. Old me could handle that, new me wont be able to.