MYOG - Climashield quilt - 100gsm

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BobCatMax

MYOG - Climashield quilt - 100gsm

Post by BobCatMax »

inspired by you sewing legends, i've decided to totally wimp out and take a project management role in the making of this first quilt.

Mum is an expert quilter, sewer and maker of things, so it would be foolish not to let her have the first go.

I've sourced all the bits (at least i think i've got everything..) hopefully it should arrive at hers in a week or so.

Currently trying to figure out which template to lean towards or just mush them all together and hope it works out.

So far i've planned for a tapered 100gsm quilt with an open footbox, 50cm zip, 4 buckles and drawcord closure for top and bottom. 20D, 38gsm dark grey taffeta outer, orange parachute inner (35gsm). Buckles with be attached with 25mm webbing and draw cord is 4mm dyneema, held in 25mm grosgrain. (can include links if anyone is interested

I'm 173cm tall and working from GramXpert measurements, i'm looking at a 194cm long quilt and as i'm only 12-ish stone, i'm fairly sure the regular fit width will be enough - thats 140 at the top, tapering down to 100 at the footbox, which should, by more than a little luck, fit around my summer weight bag. I was planning on using this image as a guide for shape, rather than measurements

I'm guessing it's going to come in around the 450-500gm mark, hopefully under.

If anyone wants to chime in with hints and tips or to point out any glaring omissions or errors before the stuff from ExtremTextil.de turns up, feel free!
Image Image
Lazarus

Re: MYOG - Climashield quilt - 100gsm

Post by Lazarus »

Did you find any guidelines on making a poncho quilt? like say the
Sestrals Poncho ?

Also subletting the actual sewing bits
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:36 am Did you find any guidelines on making a poncho quilt? like say the
Sestrals Poncho ?

Also subletting the actual sewing bits
I can't help but feel it's the sensible way forward. Until I can sit with Mum and go through it and make it with her, I'm not prepared to risk chucking 70ish quid in the bin.

I wasn't looking for poncho quilts so didn't notice any
Image Image
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I will look again if i find anything I will let you know

Seems its just a sewn hole with a drawstring - I know nothing about sewing so cannot say how easy or hard this is - more worrying not exactly sure where to put the hole!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Personally I would use shockcord / something with a bit of stretch rather than dyneema for draw cords. Little bit of give and less potentially abrasive.

I'd also not bother with buckles or potentially even a sewn footbox. For the former just a touch more width on the quilt let's you tuck it round you securely and I've not found a convincing, practical reason to unzip the footbox on mine.

Just my 2p of things I'd not bother with or am unconvinced by. HYOH :cool:
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Bugger, that didn't occur to me at all. Thanks for the tip about shock cord rather than Dyneema.

I will try to amend the order today
Image Image
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

BobCatMax wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:23 am Bugger, that didn't occur to me at all. Thanks for the tip about shock cord rather than Dyneema.

I will try to amend the order today
It's probably not essential as you're considering using grosgrain :cool:

FYI my Alpkit Cloudcover "quilt" has regular cord for drawstrings (not dyneema, something nylon looking with a sheath and no elasticity). It's OK but I keep meaning to change it for shockcord, particularly as the construction and fabric seem fairly
flimsy.

I like shockcord because it's got some give which should relieve a bit of pressure on fabric and stitching in some situations.
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

the plotting and schemeing is half the fun! well done.

if shes not on it already id recomment tissue paper above and below what your sewing as the fabrics so thin. sorry if this is extremly obvious but it wnt be fun without it.

i also made a zipperd footbox in mine, cos you know, then it can be opened out in to a blanket [and most modern sleeping bags cant do that!] but i never use this feature. if making another id spare myself the zip faff and shave a few grams off there but thats me
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Thanks gents, for the input.

I was too late to swap out the Dyneema so the shock cord got sourced from ebay. Hopefully it'll all be there by the end of the week. I'd better get the template/instructions sorted!

I've sent her some YouTube vids, and they definitely mention the tissue paper trick but I'll remind her as well.
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Roughing out a template and I'm moving the taper start further up as I have long legs and a short torso.

So, here is the dilemma.. Where to place the zip? Its only 50cm long as this was just about the longest I could find a) not really knowing what I was looking for, b) colour was v important.

The section itself is 860mm long. Do i place It close to the foot box, with a buckle at the taper transition? This seems the most sensible.. But what do i know!?

Also, how do you sew the shock cord in? Do you split the middle of the Grosgrain loop in the middle of the quilt and have the buckle? No that doesn't make sense..
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Spamming my own thread..

Image Image
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

BobCatMax wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:59 am
The section itself is 860mm long. Do i place It close to the foot box, with a buckle at the taper transition? This seems the most sensible.. But what do i know!?
This is where I put mine, same length zip, it works well as the foot box is less draughty. I left about an inch on top of seam allowance from the bottom edge of the fabric to give space for a set of cam poppers at the bottom of the zip too.
BobCatMax wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:59 am
Also, how do you sew the shock cord in? Do you split the middle of the Grosgrain loop in the middle of the quilt and have the buckle? No that doesn't make sense..
I found this video most useful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=be4ciUndiBg

I would make the shock cord ‘tunnels‘ out of the top/bottom material if you can as making them out of grosgrain will mean it bunches up quite a lot and not be such an effective drawcord.
I altered the arrangement slightly from that video and more as I think you are suggesting; so that the shock cord terminates (just tie a knot) at a sewn loop of grosgrain that also holds the bottom cam popper thing. I then split the bottom shock cord tunnel in two so that the cord lock is adjusted in the middle, much neater imo.
This way when I want to close the foot box, I do the zip, poppers at the top and bottom of the zip to take the stress, then the shock cord tightens against the bottom set of poppers.
Hope that makes sense!
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

i will check out that video tomorrow am, although I have a feeling i know which one it is (i've watched loads!)

the drawcord channel also makes sense. i will see how much material we can steal off the sides, as i'd prefer it in grey, not the orange inner.

thanks for the input shutuplegs
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

It's started...
IMG-20201003-WA0004.jpg
(52.63 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Quick tests
IMG-20201003-WA0020.jpg
(75.23 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Et voilá
Attachments
IMG-20201003-WA0025.jpg
(60.01 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
Image Image
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Very smart!
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

i can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it!

Mum says it's currently at just under 550gms, but i suspect with some judicious trimming of the webbing and shockcord we may get it under that.

I did think with the poppers either side of the zip we could've dropped the 4th buckle but alas my idea was too late, and it'd already been pinned and sewn.

Packing and storage bags are in the works
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Grubby paws have it!

Some proper pics

Current weight without the stuff sack is 540gms, but there's a fair bit of webbing and shock cord to trim.

I'd really appreciate some advice about slitting the shock cord channel in the middle so I can ditch two of the toggles.. Do I need to seam the cut, and if so, how?!
Image Image
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Love that Max.. :-bd
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Cheers Nick.

I'm over the moon with it. It even fits around my lightweight down bag, so I should be good down below zero now.

Im trying to persuade mum she could make a cottage industry out of it.

I've definitely got plans for some more! I need to get her to teach me
Image Image
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I really like that :-bd The orange and dark grey also go well together, everyone knows good looking kit works better :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Thanks Sean, i am a bit of a tart when it comes to function and form. well known proveable fact. works better, goes faster , is lighter etc etc :wink:
Image Image