Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TrepidExplorer

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by TrepidExplorer »

September bagged the top loop of the HT as a reccie. That's all but one or two bits seen now.

The most amazing weather window. I think I've used a few years weather-luck with this one.
https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... d-how.html

Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's a good read Trep :-bd The weather's always good on the northern loop isn't it? I've only ever seen it in sunshine and 25+ degs :lol:

I didn't go much on the Kylesku Hotel when I stopped by in 2018, it was too busy so there would have been a wait, so I rode on the Drumbeg cursing the wasted energy to ride down the Kylesku and back up the road. The OBH not being available will be a shame, hopefully things will one day get back to 'normal'. I was at the Real Food Cafe a few weeks back and with the tables moved apart and no large groups it was a bit sad to see, not the hive of excited riders and walkers and the usual hubbub I think off :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Looking forward to reading Trep's post when I have a bit of time, as they're always a good read. However I am roughly two months behind on everything so here is my July BAM, which was a night out in Glen Quoich with one of the youngsters.

http://highlanddrifter.com/bam-2020-july

This was the day after the lockdown on wild camping in Scotland was lifted, allowing us to work off some pent-up energy, though I estimate the trip was 10% riding and 90% messing about at or in rivers!

Heading out

Didn't dwell at this crossing

Perfect spot

Packed relatively light

High road home

That left me on 7/7 for the year and 31 in a row. Should get my September bivy on here some time in December :wink:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I have been racking my brain but I can't think what BBITW might stand for. Can anyone enlighten me? Send me a message if it's a Secret.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Borderer wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:15 pm I have been racking my brain but I can't think what BBITW might stand for. Can anyone enlighten me? Send me a message if it's a Secret.
Incorrect guess for my own amusement

Bubbling bathtub inside thick woodland?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bear Bones Is Totally Wonderful
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good tales there 'Trepid and Jose
BBITW flumoxed me to. I thought it might refer to the fisherman's bothy in that general locale but its off the route 'Trepid did so it can't be...

Big bears in the woods is my punt
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

htrider wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:50 pm BBITW flumoxed me to. I thought it might refer to the fisherman's bothy in that general locale but its off the route 'Trepid did so it can't be...

Big bears in the woods is my punt
Yes I think I know the place you mean and that was my thought too.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Great stuff Jose and the youngster. I've got a lot of BAM reading to catch up on too. Love looking through everyone's pics.

BEST BOTHY IN THE WORLD.

Not too much of a secret on here but didn't want it to be obvious on the blog. I think it's the fishing hut HTRider mentioned. Off my route but on the HT route. I saw it on my last recce but forgot to spot drop it. I could have easily got there when fresh and gutted I didn't now.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BAM Oct: 3 of 12- Bearbones200 edition

Will keep it brief here as I'll do the writeup on the other thread that Stu opened. In a nutshell, most of my lighter gear didn't arrive so had to go pretty heavy. The BB200 was an ideal opportunity to bag my Oct BAM without too much thinking so off I went. I hoped to be in and out before everything got wet and windy. The in part worked but the out after I'd chucked in the towel for bb200, wasn't the best :o

After about 8 hours outdoors I realised I wasny getting anywhere far so by the side of the path I lay my TTstealth. Main target was to get some good solid sleep and then head back to the car. Managed from about 2200 until about 0530 (but still feel tired now) with about 3 points in the night that I awoke...

View from my pad and I nice pic of when the sun (well, you know, daylight) was just about to come out...

This gate took a few mins to figure out... The sheep must be organised!

Quite literally, after I'd managed to come down from 600m and the high winds. The associated one will go in the 'pics I like' thread...

[Edit: if I were to depart for the November Bivy on the final day of this month. But then only set up bivy after midnight. Would that be classed as the next month or this as my ride started this month ? Pls, thanks...]
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

In my book, that's fine since you're setting out for a bivy on the the overnight at the end of the month. I've probably done the same myself plenty of times as I'm always away late for short overnighters. :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:58 pm Great stuff Jose and the youngster. I've got a lot of BAM reading to catch up on too. Love looking through everyone's pics.

BEST BOTHY IN THE WORLD.

Not too much of a secret on here but didn't want it to be obvious on the blog. I think it's the fishing hut HTRider mentioned. Off my route but on the HT route. I saw it on my last recce but forgot to spot drop it. I could have easily got there when fresh and gutted I didn't now.
If it's the same one I am thinking of then we found it recently too. Utterly gorgeous but it absolutely stank of mildew from the lower breeze block walls, which seemed to be sprouting dry rot. It was so bad it nearly made me retch :cry:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Fearing an imminent announcement of some virus-related travel restrictions, I resolved to get out there and tick off this October's BAM as soon as possible. For some time now I’ve been itching to get up to the Highlands again. However, given that my van is currently in the garage for some TLC, I had to be content with somewhere closer to home. So on Tuesday afternoon I headed into darkest East Lothian along familiar gravel trails for just over 20 miles to Saltoun Big Wood.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I’d scouted the area for suitable bivvy sites during previous visits to the wood but on this outing I found a new spot I hadn’t noticed before. It was obvious that others had been there before me, though. Whoever they were they’d gone to the trouble of clearing ground for their camp and had, sadly, sawn down quite a few small trees and saplings to make some sort of perimeter arrangement using logs and brushwood. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to at least see no obvious signs that they’d lit an 'obligatory' fire.

After a pleasant night's sleep the next day dawned bright and sunny but with a chill wind.

After breakfast I had a spin round the woods (minus bike luggage) before returning to pack up and head home the way I came.

In other news, my van gets out of sick bay tomorrow and, with still no travel restrictions announced as yet, I fully intend heading north next week while the going’s good.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

You were just around the corner from the Winton estate as well Jimmy. Was that where the brewery originated? It's not there now I know as I have friends who live there.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Set out Wednesday morning just before lunch and ended up doing 76 miles and 8947 feet...
Had my new tent which did a grand job of keeping me warm and dry when it never stopped raining and blowing all night...
It seems Flickr is having problems so I’ll try again tomorrow
RIP

Post by RIP »

Glad you got out Eric. Big shame our Pensioners' Outing has been deferred. Will be doing an emergency backup outing here tomorrow night. Getting quite chilly now so it'll be the old summer v winter gear coin toss.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Borderer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:59 pm You were just around the corner from the Winton estate as well Jimmy. Was that where the brewery originated? It's not there now I know as I have friends who live there.
Hi Bridget. For what it's worth, my bivvy site was actually about 3 miles southeast of the Winton Estate. Re the brewery: It's in West Barns but the guys who run it live in Pencaitland i.e. very near the estate, and I suppose they just fancied the Winton name. Btw the beer was very nice indeed. I also like the amusing (well, to those well versed in the Scottish vernacular) name. Among their other brews are: Taps Aff (Lager), Barry Swally (American Pale Ale) and Oh Ya Bassa (Peach and raspberry sour) :smile:
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Flickr sorted, so here's my report...

Was looking forward to the Pensioners' outing, it saves the effort of making yourself get out of the comfort zone, always a bit difficult. There's always November :-bd

So decided on something outlandish: MTL (Mary Towneley Loop) from home.
Set off Wednesday morning 11ish. It's a hard 16 miles and 2500 feet to Cowpe Lowe. And after that it's very very down then the streets of Waterfoot to get to gate heaven as far as Lumb, more gates after that too. Finally got to Deerplay Moor, every track utterly waterlogged, or being a stream. Trying to dodge one of the pools my wheels just went too far and I tumbled into the tussock ditch, which was a foot deep in water, so ended in upto the right elbow and most of my right leg... bollox :lol:

Ever onwards sliding through the mud and gloop, got to the road in Holme Chapel, then ever upwards to the road at Long Causeway. My plan was to camp soon after that on the way to Hurstwood Reservoir, so I found a good spot near the stream and protected by a wall, though this didn't stop the wind at all.

It was about 5:30 at this time and I soon had the new tent up and got water from the stream...
It's a Big Agnes HV UL1 Carbon.
Ridiculously expensive but weighs in at 1 lb !!! Excluding pegs.

ImageUntitled by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

This was its first outing.

All those pictures were in the evening.

Had a freeze dried Couscous and a large black tea with 3 sugars in, then signed off.
It soon started raining and blowing a lot, but my pegs were in well, and I felt warm, secure, and dry.

It rained all night and was still raining when I got up at 5:18am.
Had a freeze dried granola and raspberries, and a large tea, then dozed a bit waiting for the light.

Packed up and was away by 8am.
Here's a gloomy picture:

I know this track well (I know the route very well) and after a couple of hundred yards there's a stream which you can easily ride through or hop across on a couple of stones... Not today :mrgreen:

It was a raging torrent 20 foot wide. A brief ponder as to whether to hunt for a better place, then in up to the thighs and the water forcing the bike downstream, me grimly hanging onto it.

The wind was right at me but the rain was easing, and I slowly made my way upwards on a very gnarly rubble strewn track, for over a mile, then good but puddle strewn riding to get to the high point on Black Moor, looking down on the upper Gorple Reservoir:
And looking on the other side these magical weatherbeaten rocks, makes you wonder what a long time it's been like this and what an atmosphere away from all the crap and corona virus down there.... not Gorple Reservoir, but down there !!

Image50441493602_76a7f03b43_o (2) by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

Then in the distance I spotted another human being, on a bike.
We stopped chatting for a quarter of an hour. Dan from Huddersfield on his first bikepacking trip. He made his own bikepacking bags too. He had camped just after Widdop Reservoir and thought his tent might become 'unseated' in the wet night. In the morning he was a peg missing, but found it 20 feet away, it must have been the one that came out in the night !
Well done Dan. He must have made it round because several hours later (about 5pm) just as I was bracing myself for the 3 mile ascent of Rooley Moor, he was coming down... good man.

I scooted down past Widdop, Gorple, etcetera, to eventually reach the road at Rochdale Canal, then the climb up to below Stoodley Pike.
I was having trouble with my bags catching the front mudguard so was riding with suspension locked, and dropping down to Callis actually walking !
(I think I have a solution for this, will try it later)
Met a young lady doing the Pennine Bridleway, from Cromford, with a very well loaded bike. just before ascending the packhorse trail over to Walsden. A 5 day trip, so good for her :-bd

I was aways conscious of time and was hoping I could reach Cowpe Lowe at a reasonable time... I was enjoying a lot of the riding (apart from those bags catching and sometimes making me walk) but I was slow, probably a combination of the conditions and age !! I'm a pensioner plus !!! (If you didn't already guess, it gets harder as you get older BUT the main thing, the absolute main thing, is your motivation... :-bd)

I've been taking a cold shower every time I have a shower (about every 3 or 4 weeks :lol: Joking - ) and have recently been doing that Wim Hof thingy with the breathing... can hold breath for 3 minutes now... and since two months ago we've (me and Aneta) have been swimming outdoors, albeit with wetsuits on .....

After Bottomley there's a good HAB (actually it was about 20 minutes, but I felt knackered and it seemed a lot longer), and from there very steady progress to Watergrove Reservoir, in bright sunshine, now feeling much stronger.

Got to the bottom of Rooley Moor where I met Dan again, then ever upwards. Hardest bit is the start, cos it's stoney rubble everywhere, but further up there are a couple of long stretches of cobblestones, which felt very relaxing after fighting the rubble... the difference here is the full suspension. It's a bit more weight but it definitely has its advantages, It definitely saves your body (arms, legs, shoulders etc.) from a lot of pounding.

Going up Rooley I was overtaken by a chap on a bike pedalling as if there was no tomorrow... no 'How do mate' nothing, absolutely nothing, despite the many signs on the PBW (Pennine Bridleway) advising..."Be nice to one another, say Hi"

Praps he doesn't like being told what to do...(I'm a grumpy old bugger when there's too many about when they should all be at home watching telly)

Then I realised, he's on an ebike :lol:
Perhaps till he saw me he thought he was an olympic athlete, then he sees this old geezer with a fully loaded bike fighting rubble and rocks, with no (external) battery.

Actually when someone passes me fast uphill, sometimes you can't quite see if it's an e-bike, but the big giveaway is their physique...
You realise by their shape whether they would be able to go so fast uphill. :-bd

I got to Cowpe Lowe at 6:26pm, which is where I joined the MTL. (so that made the MTL 44.5 miles, and 6500 feet, I did it from home about 5 years ago, all in one day, and clocked 73 miles (but I had come across the Maggot Farm bog, which makes it a couple of miles shorter, but I didn't this time cos I would have sunk :roll: ) and 10,000 feet. Such is the deviation of barometric pressure.

I had been thinking I may camp again, if feeling knacked... as it was the thought of a warm bed made me decide to press on

So in 25 minutes I was down in Edenfield, with about 14 miles to go, but some tricky riding. Coming up out of Irwell vale at about 7pm two mountain bikers coming towards me went past then one of them stopped and shouted "It's Eric" !
It was Shaun from Cooksons Cycles, my LBS. Stopped for a chat then up again.
Definitely pushed the Robin Hood's Well ascent, having to stop because I was light headed... had to eat and drink.

From the top it's about 2 miles to below Peel Tower, but it was tricky riding in the dark, and I crashed into a bank, flying over the handlebars and seeing the grass banking coming straight at me :mrgreen:
My helmet hit it with a thump, and it twisted my neck a bit with the hit (leaving a bruise over my eye), shook myself down a bit, made sure I could move my neck, then off again, with a promise to take it easy :oops:

Strange that because a few years ago I came off just 50 feet further on (in daylight) having skidded and slid along for a bit, and suffered a bit of a cracked collar bone :oops:

Water everywhere, so very very wet.

Below Peel Tower it was 3 miles to where I can descend and it's just 6 miles to home, but that 3miles included some brilliant tricky riding... in daylight, but at night with tiredness, I was bouncing off rocks and coming off... on this sort of stuff you need to see ahead a lot more to work out the best line... it was dangeroud so I ended up walking a good part of it. Had to stop for food again, feeling like I was on drugs or something. a lovely star lit night but the temperature was dropping fast.

Strawbury Duck was well shut (actually I think it was just after 10pm, so the lockdown was in).

Just 3 miles of track and I would be home... I decided to walk the last ascent before Torra Barn (the first time I've walked this bit)... the grass was frozen, so quite cold.

Got home 10:30pm, 4 hours from Cowpe Lowe :-T

Can't wait for the next one :-bd :-SS
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bonkers :grin: . Erm, is it too late to, er, sort of cancel the Old Farts Day Out? I'm fearing for my sanity now (*) :wink: .

(*) no, far too late for that of course, carry on men

redefined_cycles

Eric... you're bonkers indeed. Well done...

Couple o questions if its ok. Which pegs were you using (I think I need a bigger variety as my last BAM had me thinking they were gonna come out from the soft ground?

Is that blue pack a backpack?? Looks waterproof/top-rolling... what is it please?

Looks like I dont have/use guylines with my Trekkertent but you've got lines pulling it taut. Is that me being thick and I definitely need lines or is there a method and resoning for using both ways!?!

That's three questions, sorry. Dan from Huddersfield you say. Hope you told him bout the forum !

:-bd thanks for the robust writeup
RIP

Post by RIP »

Chucked a few bits together for tonight. Having a bad wibble though - started with summer bag, then remembered last night felt very chilly even at 5degC, so swapped to winter bag in an 8L drybag. It's that borderline temperature for my bags. Bunged it in the seatpack with kitchen/bathroom/workshop/etc then only need 10L barbag for rest of sleep gear, but now I can't fit the beer and crisps in the back! So summer bag it is after all, which I can cram into a tiny Exped XS 3L drybag.

While fiddling about I managed to get the -9c winter bag into an Exped S 5L drybag but nearly ruptured meself doing it, so have bashed the button on a, hopefully less contortionist, S2S 5L eVent Evac bag at a bargainous half price: https://www.webtogs.com/Sea-To-Summ ... wmp.htm
Last edited by RIP on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Shaf wrote: pegs
These are what you need Shaf old sparrow - Ti V at 9g each. Excellent in soft as well as hard. Use nowt else now.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nordisk-tita ... ack-of-2

Yep - ker-CHING! But can be got cheaper elsewhere (*)

(*) and if you're able to square it with yourself, supercheap off some Far Eastern ebayer (**).

(**) which is where the 'UK' ones are probably made anyway, sigh.

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:04 pm
Shaf wrote: pegs
These are what you need Shaf old sparrow - Ti V at 9g each. Excellent in soft as well as hard. Use nowt else now.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nordisk-tita ... ack-of-2

Yep - ker-CHING! But can be got cheaper elsewhere (*)

(*) and if you're able to square it with yourself, supercheap off some Far Eastern ebayer (**).

(**) which is where the 'UK' ones are probably made anyway, sigh.
Thanks Reg :-bd
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hiya Shaf

The rucksack is a Montane Cuben Fibre 38litre, very light at 811 g, and it contains a lightweight mat as well.
It is very expensive, had mine a couple of years, it cost £225 =)) . You can get it now for £180.
It is 100% waterproof, has a roll top closure, and you can put a bladder in it.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Monta ... gLwq_D_BwE

But this Lomo one looks very interesting:
https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/high-vi ... ml#SID=116

weighs 815g

As for pegs, I've tried super light titantium (not Reg's) and they were useless, especially if you camp on moorland or in heather... finally I settled for 4 Easton pegs, 4 MSR, 4 can't remember the name, but all 9 inches long. And 4 of the pegs which came with the tent.

Reg's Nordisk pegs at 9g sound good, but I can't see what length they are. Also are they £12.75 for two ?
seems so, but the question/answer further down confuses this ~X(
Edit: they are 165mm long, but my pensioner's brain needs inches, so that's 6.6 inches...
Verdict: could be longer (that's what the actress said to the bishop... ahem... :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: )

For me they have to be 9 inches, not 6 - it's absolutely vital they stay in when there's a storm in progress.

Dan had heard of Bearbones, and I said I would be doing a report, so perhaps by now he's seen it ! Hi Dan :-bd

On the flysheet of my tent I'm using all the attachment points... is that what you meant ?

If you want to put additional attachment points to pull your Trekkertent out a bit, you can use gripclips.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah I wouldn't get the Nordisk ones, cheaper elsewhere, but I've always been able to achieve satisfaction with a six incher. It's how you insert it that counts not how long it is :smile: . If you get caught in the act they can be difficult to pull out in the hurry to get away, but again not a problem if you pre-plan an escape route - over the wall for example.

Mine held fast in a 50mph gale near Wincle some time ago.

Anyroad, enough of the battle of the pegs :smile: .

Local bivvy for local people last night with MuddyPete, but declined by Mr Olsen as he doesn't like bad weather apparently :wink: .

Changed plan at the last second and headed in the opposite direction down the old railway to the canal.

Round the lake and out of town following a fairly random route, not entirely sure where we were going next since we were having far too much fun talking equally random rubbish as we went along.

As a bit of drizzle blew up we started to scope suitable spots and eventually ended up in a little copse under the Luton flightpath - it seems I learned nothing from last month's selection. Luckily the wind was the right direction so the few planes would be landing the other side of the airport.

Tarp up in licketysplit time, as Pete set up his bizarrely short bivvy bag.... must be some sort of yogic contortion thing...

Gatewood at home, proper tarp back in action...

A thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours of philosophical tripe/musings ensued, helped along with a few drinkypoos, then we conked out at 11.30. I was already feeling fairly chilly so started off with bamboo top/leggings, socks, plus fleece AND down jacket, but in the small hours I had to turn my second fleece into a pair of trousers and put those on as well. Must be summat wrong with my thermostat.

I'd pitched more or less on top of a badger run and was rather hoping a family of them would dash through my tarp and out the other end in the middle of the night, but all we ended up with was loads of owls and sundry other birdlife.

Forgot my ovaltine so breakfast was extremely runny porridge which I drank instead, quite a weird experience.

Turns out we bivvied on some Rothschild land so I feel gratified about that. Tried ringing the Baron when I got home to ask retrospective permission but he was out.

It only remains to thank Pete for a low-key but very enjoyable evening out. Some people like top-end restaurants and luxury hotels, but we opt for damp ditches and being jumped on by badgers.

10/10, 10/12, 57/57 (varieties)

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.