BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: BB200 2020

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've messaged a few of them.
Thanks for that. I'm sure it's simply an oversight.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

whitestone wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:19 am ..... but most of the route looks eminently rideable.
And there's the kiss of death....
Thanks Bob
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've seen a few bits with no obvious path (backed up by Strava heatmaps), but nothing too disheartening.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sh*t, so I'm hesitant to draw attention to it, but...

The 300 route passes through the Merthyr Tydfil lockdown area between Pontsticill and Cefn-coed-y-cymmer.

https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/p ... ckdown.pdf

I would expect the area to be locked down for at least two more weeks as they have one of the highest infection rates per 100k people in Wales.
Last edited by Richard G on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I noticed the finish is in the middle of a farm yard - just a mapping accuracy discrepancy obviously but as a general Q, whats the likely reaction to you cycling through here (or other farm yards) in the middle of the night with your Maxx D on errr max??
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:28 pm Sh*t, so I'm hesitant to draw attention to it, but...

The 200 route passes through the Merthyr Tydfil lockdown area between Pontsticill and Cefn-coed-y-cymmer.

https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/p ... ckdown.pdf

I would expect the area to be locked down for at least two more weeks as they have one of the highest infection rates per 100k people in Wales.
Do you mean the 300 Richard? Pontsicill isn't on the 200 route I've been sent.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sorry, yes. Edited.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd spotted that, bit confused as to what I'm allowed to do :???:

On the BBC website it says you can pass through but to avoid stopping, I assume they mean in a car as it's the way to the Beacons from my end of the country, but the gov website says this

people will not be allowed to enter or leave the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough area without a reasonable excuse
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The Welsh Government has specific rules on this relating to cycling. If you're in a lockdown area you cannot leave when cycling. If you're outside a lockdown area, you cannot enter one whilst cycling.
RIP

Post by RIP »

That b'way over Garn Ddu looks like a suitably nasty alternative, depending on the route :grin: .

There's a nice pub in Pontsticill of course where you can consider what to do next when you get there.... :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:35 pm Garn Ddu
Oh. The boundary's a fair bit north of that anyway isn't it: https://mapit.mysociety.org/area/2585.html :sad: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

as a general Q, whats the likely reaction to you cycling through here (or other farm yards) in the middle of the night with your Maxx D on errr max??
Really just a matter of trying to be sensible where possible Phil - tone lights down a bit and slow down a touch.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

RIP wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:38 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:35 pm Garn Ddu
Oh. The boundary's a fair bit north of that anyway isn't it: https://mapit.mysociety.org/area/2585.html :sad: .
Yeah, Merthyr is a good chunk bigger than I had realised.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:55 pm I'd spotted that, bit confused as to what I'm allowed to do :???:

On the BBC website it says you can pass through but to avoid stopping, I assume they mean in a car as it's the way to the Beacons from my end of the country, but the gov website says this

people will not be allowed to enter or leave the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough area without a reasonable excuse
If someone asks you could just say you work for government and the countryside is your canteen :grin: :???:

Key point... 'Reasonable excuse'. Means all the bearbones riders are sorted then. Just dont stop for lunch

[Edit... could just claim you work for central govnmt and the countryside is your workplace canteen... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... urfew.html

Another edit, I believe they've revoked that rule but you coukd just claim you never saw the memo :o ]

The dirty bar stewards
slarge

Post by slarge »

Eyesight test? Works for some
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

300 riders should receive an email this morning explaining that we're going for a re-route and removing those nasty, flat tarmac miles north of Merthyr :wink:

If you should be receiving 300 stuff but aren't then let me know.

NOTE: The 200 route is not effected.
psling

Post by psling »

There'll be no-one in the South Wales lockdown areas at the weekends anyway because they're all over here in the Forest of Dean riding their bikes! Every time the South Wales' Trail Centres go into lockdown the Forest of Dean is totally rammed as they all come here instead :roll:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:25 am 300 riders should receive an email this morning explaining that we're going for a re-route and removing those nasty, flat tarmac miles north of Merthyr :wink:

If you should be receiving 300 stuff but aren't then let me know.

NOTE: The 200 route is not effected.
A shame really, as it's nice around Pontsticill.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:13 pm
as a general Q, whats the likely reaction to you cycling through here (or other farm yards) in the middle of the night with your Maxx D on errr max??
Really just a matter of trying to be sensible where possible Phil - tone lights down a bit and slow down a touch.
Aye, I just tend to get a bit paranoid about these kind of things - barking dogs, owner appearing with shotgun wondering what the noise is about, me explaining I'm doing a 200k bike ride for no reason than I enjoy it, him thinking me an idiot......

Looks like I'm going for a Fforest Inn start point in any case.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Hmm... there's a lot in the Northern section where there's not an obvious path on the ground / very little on heatmap. Starting to reconsider starting at Hay-on-wye as it would mean I got to that bit in the dark.

No perfect solutions available!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I noted that but it doesn't look like its to drastic, just a bit vague :???: . I'm committed to a start in the last 25k / first 25k area so what the hey. To be honest I'd be disappointed if there wasn't one section where I'm thrashing through the undergrowth in the dark trying to find a path line which isn't; whilst Stu sits in Bearbones towers emitting diabolical laughter...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

There's definitely one section where there's absolutely nothing, but at least the ground looks OK (from space...).

Edit - I can see why the question was asked about the farmer's yards. There's a lot of passing through them on this route.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can see why the question was asked about the farmer's yards. There's a lot of passing through them on this route.
Perhaps but they're all legal RoW.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I don't doubt it. Just noticed there were a lot.
liamg

Post by liamg »

The route appears to go the wrong way down one way streets in both Crickhowell and Builth. I've re-routed on the shortest legal route, but just wanted to check that this won't result in a DNF?!

It may be worth either changing the track, or highlighting these spots in an email, as I'm sure a few people will blindly follow the track down these roads.