Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Winter gravel

Post by ootini »

hello. Sorry for yet another tyre Q

Having lost my rag with WTB Riddlers im after alternative tyres with:
A. Better puncture protection
B. Grip that will cope with gravel, bridleways and hard paved surfaces over the winter, possibly year round. Forget proper mud, that calls for the hardtail.
C. Can be run both tubed and tubeless.
D. 700c x 40-50mm width
E. Not tan wall... minging.

What say ye?!
Delv4

Re: Winter gravel

Post by Delv4 »

Riddlers that bad? I've just removed the Gravelkings and put Riddlers on
jameso

Post by jameso »

"moon on a stick" I say.. :smile:

Or, almost. Maybe WTB Nano or Riddler in new SG2 casing which is their answer to those finding the sidewall or casings too light at the moment, or if you want tougher/toughest the Marathon Mondial is a great tread for all-round use - not tubeless but flats are really rare. The 700 x 47 is a bit weighty but great as a mix-terrain touring kind of tyre. I wish they made it in a lighter or standard casing with a slightly lower centre tread, 55-60mm. Would be the perfect bikepacking all-rounder for me.

If you can find the older 2.0 spec the Vittoria/Geaxx Saguaro is a great all-round tread. Like a Nano really. TNT (TLR) spec is said to be a faff and I found the std folding spec fitted tubeless w/o any issues, got a lot of use from them and thought they were great XC tyres.

The new Pirelli treads look interesting too.

Delv4, Riddlers ride really well, they're a light casing but can be cut-prone. I did a good few 100 miles on Chilterns flint w/o issues but they're certainly not the toughest tyres.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Have you looked at G-One Ultrabite?
I find the tyre breakdown compounds execution technology too confusing but I think 'super ground' matches your spec.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Delv4 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:20 am Riddlers that bad? I've just removed the Gravelkings and put Riddlers on
They grip and ride very nicely, but where I ride ive ended up with nearly a flat on every ride over the past few months. They have very little resistance to sharp things
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'd say WTB Resolutes fulfill your criteria for B, C and D.
The only downside I've found has been the sidewalls (though I've subjected them to some pretty serious underbiking). Not tried them yet, but the new casings should help with point A, and also tick off E.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm about to fit g one all rounds, in a 2.25 but think they're available in more sizes
ootini

Post by ootini »

Landslide wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:53 am I'd say WTB Resolutes fulfill your criteria for B, C and D.
The only downside I've found has been the sidewalls (though I've subjected them to some pretty serious underbiking). Not tried them yet, but the new casings should help with point A, and also tick off E.
I looked for the Resolute in SG2 casing, as it would tick my boxes, but can't find any available in the UK?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Rock 'n road might be worth a look?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPARR/ro ... lding-tyre
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I think review copies are the only ones that exist yet
ootini

Post by ootini »

PaulB2 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:31 am I think review copies are the only ones that exist yet
might just have to hang fire for a bit
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'm looking at getting Vittoria Terreno Wet's for the up coming slop. It's either that, or get some slicks and switch to the road.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

+1 for schwalbe marathon mondials. Roll well, remarkably grippy on the dirt, pretty much puncture proof and no tubeless faffing :grin: and £25 each for the folding bead ones out of Spa cycles. Bit heavy being the only downside.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

All WTB of the same size will have the same carcass, so if you are struggling with those then avoid others... except they have just released a new version with what they call SG2 puncture protection. I have some 37mm Riddlers and Nano on test and no punctures yet.

But still not the most robust compared to some others. Of all the tyres I have tested, Hutchinson Touareg are probably the most puncture resistant. They don't feel so good, not very supple but you can't have it all.

Another option perhaps is rim protection strips. Not fitted a set I have yet, so can't comment on if they are any good.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Pirelli Cinturatos are worth a look. The Teravail Sparwood durables I've used certainly live up to their name. I assume the rest of the range are as, err, durable!
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

jameso wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:24 am if you want tougher/toughest the Marathon Mondial is a great tread for all-round use - not tubeless but flats are really rare.
The Marathon Almotion can be run tubeless, and is highly rated but I haven't tried it personally (not enough clearance!)
Boab

Post by Boab »

mattpage wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:53 pm Another option perhaps is rim protection strips. Not fitted a set I have yet, so can't comment on if they are any good.
I ran a Tannus Armour insert in my rear wheel last winter, I still managed to pick up a couple of punctures. Totally deadened the responsiveness of the bike as well, which made it feel like an absolute rocket ship when I took it out again. I would consider running a pair over winter again, if the tyres I wanted to run were prone to punctures, otherwise I'd probably not bother.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

16 replies to the OP, 18 different types of tyre or other solution recommended to solve the original problem.

We cyclists are bloody great aren't we :grin:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

K1100T wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:40 pm I ran a Tannus Armour insert in my rear wheel last winter, I still managed to pick up a couple of punctures. Totally deadened the responsiveness of the bike as well, which made it feel like an absolute rocket ship when I took it out again. I would consider running a pair over winter again, if the tyres I wanted to run were prone to punctures, otherwise I'd probably not bother.
Just like tyres, not all are the same.
adamwwallace

Post by adamwwallace »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:19 am The Rock 'n road might be worth a look?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPARR/ro ... lding-tyre
I've got these and really like them. Decent grip but roll well too. I have the non tubeless version but they've set up tubeless fine on 29er stans rims although didn't on novatec 700c rims. No leaking from the sidewalls so think as long as you have a tight rim you'll be fine.
nobbythesheep

Post by nobbythesheep »

I run veetire xcx 700x40 . Can’t fault them at all
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

I have been using the WTB Raddlers in a 44mm, on a mix of terrain from flat toe path to the roughtest trail the Peak District has. Only had one puncture since Jan to a side wall but was plgged with a stans dart easy enough. I also run Cush Cores which have been fantastic at protecting my carbon rims and reducing puncture risk.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

My Camino came with WTB Resolutes on and I had 5 punctures in the first week of riding it. 3 possibly 4 were Blackthorns and one looked like a flint cut. Eventually got the rear set up tubeless and 4 tubeless plugs later and another 2 X 100ml bottles of sealant I binned the tyre and put a Gravel King on the back. Front is on it's second tube and has 1 foot in the bin as I type.

The Resolutes were really nice to ride with loads of grip especially on bridleways and gravel cycleways and not too draggy on the road IMO. Think its telling that WTB have launched a tougher puncture resistant version of many of their gravel type tyres all of a sudden??

So far very pleased with the Gravel King, rolls well and is nearly as good on the loose stuff as well and is in to its 4th week with no punctures (touch wood!!) Need to have another go at getting it up tubeless.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

OP have you ran the Riddlers tubeless?

I have had one ride on mine and got a puncture. Not sure whether to try them tubeless or just replace them. I've been looking at the Schwalbe Hurricane's.
ootini

Post by ootini »

RobLyon wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:09 am OP have you ran the Riddlers tubeless?

I have had one ride on mine and got a puncture. Not sure whether to try them tubeless or just replace them. I've been looking at the Schwalbe Hurricane's.
No i haven't. Apparently the tan walls weep quite badly and dont hold air well.
I must admit, before buying the gravel bike I'd run my MTB with 27.5 Schwalbe hurricanes in summer months. They are excellent tyres.
Last edited by ootini on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.