Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by Charliecres »

I squeezed in my August bivy last night with an emergency trip to an old standby spot just a few miles from home and a few minutes from the pub. This spot is well used by others and has been for years but someone has been busy, “fencing” the area with logs and digging a deep fire pit. Hmmm.

Anyway, it’s still a beautiful spot to watch the sun slowly illuminate the trees across the valley as you rub the sleep from your eyes.

The night was surprisingly chilly (my mate’s Garmin said 4 degrees C at 7am) but I was toasty and slept like a log.

I was testing a new MYOG loop bar harness and frame bag this trip, as well as a new Acepac pot bag, a coffee filter, Voile straps and a DD Magic Carpet used as a micro-tarp. All worked well and all owe something to Bearbones, whether inspiration, recommendation or a purchase From the shop. :-bd

That’s six in a row for me, following my late start to 2020.

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I’d postponed a couple of times earlier in the week due to lousy weather but finally ticked off August’s BAM on Saturday. I’d chosen my bivvy location by scanning the East Lothian area on Google Earth where my curiosity was aroused by Bara Loch. It’s set in woodland near the lovely village of Gifford and I’d ridden past it numerous times with no idea the loch was there.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I headed east from my home in Edinburgh on a mixture of on and off-road and arrived at the loch close to dusk.

I was able to quite quickly identify a decent spot a short distance uphill from the loch, though. Having assumed, correctly it turned out, that the woods would still be pretty damp due to the rain we’ve had recently, I’d opted to use my hammock rather than sleep on the ground.

The absence of any traffic noise was pleasant although a couple of owls were doing a pretty effective job of filling the void. Despite this, I had no trouble falling asleep but was awoken around 1.30 a.m. by the sound of hooves passing close by. Several deer were obviously on the move. Unfortunately, it was too dark to make them out but their well-used trail was clear to see in the morning. I was in no hurry to leave and was content just to savour the peaceful atmosphere and watch the waterfowl for a couple of hours. Incidentally, while I was there I spotted only one other person, a male trail runner who was quickly gone.

That's 8/8 this year and 32 in a row.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
RIP

Post by RIP »

8/8, 8/12, 56/56, 18/45 at rough count (*)

(*) Mines. Very poor effort must do better next time.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Right then... I'm in :-bd

#1: BAM-Aug

So the backstory is that I was too soft for this weekends Dales Divide and not sure if the Bearbones200 will happen for me either. Reason being that I dont like being on a massive field all on my own, which I'm gonna go with 'religious reasons' as its debatable about travelling on the untrodden road all on the lonesome. Anyway, back story over, here we go.
BAM 1 of 12

So I've recently found this love affair of viewpoints which shows as a splash on the OS maps. Thanks to all that helped me find the splash and thats what I used as a target to get to The Peaks this weekend and do a little ride with the roadies. Aim was to be out and back home all on the weekend so with a little help from the forum (thanks to you's who you know who you are :-bd ). I aimed for **c*** *ike for a pic before the sun went down and then, onto another viewpoint a few miles farther before finishing with a little unloaded road(ie) ride around the peaks...

Failed at my first hurdle of getting enough capacity on Egen (thw steel road bike that takes gravel) as the Revelate bar bag wouldn't fold down to clesr the inaides of the road bars. Capacity reduced meant I had to take the shaped tarp as opposed to the full Trekkertent with fabric inner. Orange tarp called 'The Knot' appropriately packed and by 1600 on Saturday I was merrily on my way snailing myself acros the peaks to Glossop and Eccles Pike and then cut back again to Rowsley.

I needed to catch a picture of which I got a few and they looked something like this...

--------

Finally made it to [name witheld to reduce PC, debate and heartache :-bd ] but too late for a decent pic and too tired to go on, I needed to rest. So found a secret spot to just pop down my head and get out the wet socks.

Thankfully I'd learnt off Mike - all them years ago from his vids - about taking spare socks and shorts. I'd not taken shorts but the woolly socks were a feet saver. Prayers done and asleep by about 2300. It was a cold night and I appreciated Summit Toppler (Jeff) even more now. I was at about 400m up with frozen fingers so I can only imagine what he goes through at 2000+. Suffice to say, not for me and I'll continue with the philosophy of, 'climb high, sleep low'.

After some initial faff I got my tarp working with me and not against. Woke up at 0200 and still not rested enough to get moving, I decided to have a coffee. Must work on my setup as it consisted quite alot of 'stuff'. A lovely coffee, a bottle of warm, some more zzzzzs and a set of morning prayers later, the sun was just about ready to come up. So I quickly grabbed a few pics and ran (well, 'cycled') along.

Next morning I found tunnels (to Matlock), HAB'd up some very steep but beautiful steps, walked across a creaking river bridge and climbed Mam Tor.

Within 31 hours I'd stepped back in through the front door whilst the WRT and Dales Divide continued. BAM 1 ticked, 11 remainder :smile:

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Congrats!

FWIW, don't assume it's always colder at altitude. I often camp high to avoid temperature inversions. It can easily change by 5-6C in the space of a km or so.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:51 am Congrats!

FWIW, don't assume it's always colder at altitude. I often camp high to avoid temperature inversions. It can easily change by 5-6C in the space of a km or so.
Thanks Colin. Appreciate that and look forward to learning/expereiencing it a bit more. Am hoping I'll emerge from this with enough exp and confidence of tackling the Dales Divide (who knows, maybe one day the HT550 but seems unlikely just yet). Just putting up the shaped tarp, regardless that I've put it up in the garden (the once :o ), was a learning curve in itself :smile:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Conditions can vary within metres ...

This bivy from Sunday night, come Monday morning Cath in the Gatewood had massive condensation whereas in the hammock I had none. We were probably thirty metres apart at most. The difference was that I was under the trees, even being right on the edge of them was enough, and Cath was in the open so there was a bigger temperature gradient where she was. It wasn't just the tarp, all the grass under the trees was basically dry while that in the open was sodden.

I've also bivvied close to water and been cold while those further up the bank, again only a matter of metres, were warm.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting example that Bob thanks. Just goes to show that choosing a good Spot is an art and a science.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A bivvy with a purpose last night.

My friends Phoebe and Nat were out riding 200 miles over the Peak District's finest* gravel trails. While such an effort may not seem remarkable to some of our resident long distance experts, it's still a significant challenge and one they undertook to raise some funds for a friend who's recently suffered a severe spinal injury.

I rode out to meet them with my bare minimum of sleeping kit, a flask of boiling water, and enough Haribo, Tunnocks and hot chocolate sachets to induce diabetes in a small wildebeest.

I met them after they'd been riding for 16 hours. Once they'd refuelled a bit (courtesy of some other friends with a camping stove and a seemingly endless supply of fried egg sammiches), I rode with them for a bit by way of moral support and company.
As we razzed along the Monsal Trail, we were suddenly confronted by what we assumed was the light of a rider coming the other way. However, the light suddenly started waving and cheering at us - it turned out to be Phoebe's parents, bearing more well wishes and calories (I snagged a couple of sausage rolls).

A horrible, slippery, chossy track took us up through King Sterndale before I wished Phoebe and Nat well, and left them to head for Flash (ah-aaahhhh!!!), England's highest village. I rolled along the main road, and then the Tissington Trail to my accommodation for a few hours' kip. I finally stopped riding about 1am, sorted out my bed, and set the alarm for 5:30am. 😮

Up before the sunrise, I checked on Phoebe and Nat's progress. They were still cracking on, and I had time to make myself a coffee before rolling southwards to meet up with their route again. The preceding 23 hours had taken their toll, and Phoebe mentioned a number of attempts on her life by a bat, a badger, and numerous squirrels. Thankfully she'd evaded their murderous intentions, and I topped up their enthusiasm levels by way of hot chocolate. They headed off for their last 30 miles, and I packed up and headed for home.

Wildlife sightings on the way included Fallow deer at Chatsworth, and Red deer on White Edge. I zoomed down the hill back into Sheffield, a big grin on my face. Back home for a bacon and egg sammich, a good soak in the bath, and a few hours extra kip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEzMiRtl10k/

2020 BAM 9/9
2020 total bivvies 11
Current streak (months) 22

*And some of its more urban and gritty bits. And some MTB classics where they were distinctly underbiked
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

September BAM done on the Cairngorms loop in Abernethy forest....
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

September BAM - done! 9 of 12 for 2020.

A very (too) hard ride around the Berwyns to check out a route for the Pensioners Outing next month.

Its worse than it looks - the last 8 miles was on canal towpath. I got back to the car a broken man.

I pushed up a lot of steep horrible rocky miles that I never wish to see again. Then pushed up lots of steep horrible tussocky miles. Ditto!

Then, for a change, I pushed down more horrible, tussocky, non-existant bridleway. This showed as a discernible track on the satellite view, but I guess it was an old view because there was no track.

I stuck rigidly to the bridleway marked on the map. It was the right track. I know this because it had obviously been used by the off-road motorcycle boys. They'd left hip-deep grooves (as they do) that had grown over with grass/rushes, so were invisible until my front wheel fell into one and over-the-bars I went. Hurt my wrist. My foot fell into these balls-deep ruts too many times to count.

After this, things got a lot better. On the way down to Llandrillo I found a cep garden

There were lots of them growing on the bank alongside the track. Too many to carry, but I took one...

In the Dudley Arms Llandrillo, I had a beer, then pushed up the start of the Wayfarer trail until I found some water to filter. Should have got some at the pub, but forgot. It was getting dark by then and my right knee was hurting too much to go further so I pitched up in probably the worst place I could have - flat, but too exposed given the strength of the wind that kept me from sleeping by flapping the tarp and pushing it against me in my bed.

I cooked my dinner in a little sheltered spot.
Onion, kabanos, cep (Porcini) that I'd picked up earlier, pasta and a Dolmio stir-in sauce.

If I'd pushed on a little further (half a mile and 500 ft up) I'd have seen this ideal spot..

Typical!

I did a fair bit of pushing up the Wayfarer but this was rewarded by a few miles of descent down to Llanfair D.C. Then more pushing up over Bryn Du. On the tack down I met a convoy of 5 off-road cars that completely blocked the track. I had to hoist my bike up to the top of the bank to get past.

Up again, over the top to Llangollen where I had lunch at my daughter's house before trundling the last few miles along the canal towpath with the wind behind me back to Chirk.

Methinks I'll have to have a re-think about where to take the Pensioners. :roll:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

:roll:

benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

As a placemarker for records sake, while I find time to match the appropriate words to give it justice alongside this rediscovered inconvenience of work, I went out in August for the WRT. Ate lots of good food. Had a fantastic weekend. Loved every second.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

This bivi out was fair chuffed by the fire in my belly. The fuel was the blame and shame culture that is being currated by the media. I needed to escape this distopia and return to reality.

After stuffing my face with mash and my bike with kit I left. I had no destination in mind. I did not care. Better out than in I always say. I was jarringly cold in my shorts and t-shirt but embraced this discomfort like a forbidden hug. The hills rolled with the punches of my defiant energy. My aggression was channelled into movement. This intense activity became me. Every part of my body was entirely focused on pushing the pedals round. Actions became instinctive. I was, for the first time all week, not thinking.

Upon reaching the summit and refilling my lungs I felt rejuvenated. Like a computer, I had switched my brain off and on again. Obviously cause of my problem was not solved, but the mental spiralling had stopped for now. That was enough.

I slept long with the September sun and woke with it too. I pulled my sleeping bag chord tight over my eyes and drifted into an absurd dream space until a more reasonable hour.

This trip will hold it's place in my memory alongside the others in far away lands (mainly mid Wales). Yes it was just a familiar ditch, but that is not the point. The attitude of going out to sleep in a ditch is what I value. The fact that with my bike I can escape at the drop of a hat and immerse myself in the beautiful simplicity of bikepacking amist any chaos going on in the world around me.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Well said Ben.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

BAM September
Set off Monday at q to 5pm, 7.2 miles up on't moors to a likely looking spot I rode past last Saturday, remote, well off the beaten path, a short haul over a style, and 50 yards of tussock trundling... a good spot, stream nearby

Started setting up at 6:30pm, Tent Zpacks up in no time, and by 10 to 7 had my 2 litres of water, and a brew on..

ImageBAM September by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

And what was surprising: no midges ! We need somebody who understands the mind of a midge... what didn't they like about a mediterranean sunny evening, no wind, plenty flesh to feed on (I had midge net and smidge but didn't need either.

I know they don't like the heat so much... maybe...

ImageBAM September by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

I had a freeze dried mediterranean pasta and a big cup of tea, then settled in, with a few tots of whisky.

I put long john's and socks on, and lyfa vest, but soon everything came off, then I was a bit clammy.

I carry a sponge to wipe any condensation up.

By 5am clothes back on as it had cooled down a lot.

Big cup of tea for breakfast, then packed up and headed back uphill to the cafe in Tockholes. Good breakfast there then onwards to, eventually, the BG Cafe, where I had a bit more food and tea, in preparation for 7 miles back home, including a fair bit if climbing...

Great weather, great riding, just over 30 miles and 3100 feet. :-bd

Lu ! Thanks for exploring ! I hope to God we don't do any of that stuff... :lol:

Going to the Bearstock 2 or 3 years ago, from Chirk, I decided to risk going south from the top of the Wayfarers... 5 miles took about 2+ hours... not very rideable :mrgreen:
RIP

Post by RIP »

ericrobo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:10 pm
Started setting up at 6:30pm, Tent Zpacks up in no time, and by 10 to 7 had my 2 litres of water, and a brew on..
That's a very civilised time to arrive and set up. One of these days I might actually manage to arrive somewhere before dark and actually enjoy an evening chilling!
Lu ! Thanks for exploring ! I hope to God we don't do any of that stuff... :lol:
Had a quick chat with Lu earlier, and I believe some refinement of the plan is underway :smile: . He was wondering about a minor timings alteration too, hopefully will PM you. Really looking forward to it already, so long as we don't do any of That Stuff :lol: .

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

ericrobo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:10 pm Lu ! Thanks for exploring ! I hope to God we don't do any of that stuff... :lol:
So do I Eris, So do I!

I've had a re-think with a lot less climbing (but still plenty). I'm still looking to do the Wayfarer from Llandrillo end, but starting with a lot of canal towpath and lanes to get there. The worrying thing is that nearly all the ascents are in the last 20 miles. 45 miles in all, MemoryMap says. I might have to have another practice.....
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A very warm afternoon and a calm, clear night forecast so I couldn't resist the temptation to head out to a local spot I'd been thinking of. 18km up to Coire na Ciste.

Lying here in my bivvy, looking at an amazing skyscape. And some folk think tents are better...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Slàinte

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm not in the slightest bit* envious.

*very.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Well, I made it back down safely. Had a lovely night. first got buzzed by a RAF Typhoon on reheat, then saw a shooting star. Milky way was spectacular. Woke up around 1:30 and it was still "warm" (i.e. about 10C). Woke up again around 6 and then turned over for another nap as the sun wasn't even up yet. Finally stirred after 7 but just sat watching the day and he weather develop. Sunrise being out to the South East of me meant that it took a long time to come over the mountains.

My house is under that valley mist.

A few midges were stirring to I packed up and headed off for a wee walk to a hidden lochan before returning to the bike. As I got back, a helicopter flew over me - VERY low. They're using it to transport rocks into an nearby area that is undergoing some peatland preservation.

That's 9/9 for 2020. 46th consecutive. Hoping we're not back to emergency rules next month, but...
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

This month’s BAM was a straight from the door job and my destination was Carron Valley Reservoir in Stirlingshire. I’d ridden the mountain bike trails there years ago and thought it’d be worth a return visit. From Edinburgh I followed the Union Canal west via Linlithgow and Falkirk and, finally, the sting in the tail – the long, steep haul up and over the renowned (by roadies) Tak Ma Doon road to the Carron Valley. I cannot tell a lie – at times I was reduced to walking.

Notable sights along the route west included: the Falkirk Wheel (a very impressive structure that is the only one of its kind in the world, designed to lift boats up and down between the Union Canal and the Forth and Clyde Canal which lies 90 feet lower down); and the remains of the Antonine Wall (the most northerly of the walls constructed by the Romans to hold back the ‘revolting natives’ but far less well-known than Hadrian’s Wall further south).

After spending too much time exploring the very nice off-road trails in the woodlands near the Wheel, I ended up arriving at the reservoir in darkness. However, I was fortunate enough to find the perfect bivvy site among trees overlooking the reservoir.

There is a minor road on the opposite side of the water (noise travels and all that) but once the boy racers and occasional motorbike had gone home for the night I had a pleasant, undisturbed night’s sleep.

Next day dawned sunny and pretty much wind-free. Re the dreaded midge situation: It’s a bit late in the season for them in Scotland’s Central Belt area but bitter experience tells me it pays not to be complacent with these wee buggers. Anyway, there were a few but, oddly, they seemed content just to float about aimlessly and none of them bothered me. Typical bullies – only hard when they’re in a gang! Breakfasted and packed, I headed homewards using a mix of roads, canal towpath and the John Muir Way along the banks of the River Forth. All in all, a very enjoyable trip with perfect weather.

That's 9/9 BAMs for this year and 33 in a row.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'd been cycling for a little over an hour and a half on Thursday, when I threw my toys out of the pram. Yet another puncture to the rear tyre, the second that week, another skinned knuckle fighting to get the tubeless plug in. There may have been shouting and swearing, as the dam holding the accumulated stress of the previous few weeks broke, and I let my emotions get the better of me.

Later that day, after a further 190km of riding, I had another puncture. This time it was the front tyre, and it went with a bang, as a bit of flint slashed the side wall. It was nearly 10 o'clock at night, pitch black and I was on a gravel byway, less than a kilometre from finishing the the return leg of the Peddars Way. The hole in the side wall was large enough to accept the doubled over tubeless plug, without any further needle file adjustment. I couldn't get the tyre inflated with the mini-pump though, and sealant was going everywhere. In a mark contrast to the first puncture, my emotions didn't get the better of me and I calmly cleaned out the tyre, checked for thorns, fitted a tube and carried on.

Friday morning, after wading through the sand on the Icknield Way, I was pondering my choice of reaction to each puncture. Let be clear here, we are all in control of our reactions to the things that happen to us, and we do have a choice on how we express them, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. I got as far as boiling it down to the tyranny of choice, I had plenty in the early morning with most of the day still in front of me; I had none late at night, with less than 10km of riding left. Or maybe it was the just the restorative power of fresh air and exercise and the resultant switch from a fixed, I can't do it, to a flexible, I can do anything, mindset. 🤷

I took rather a lot of photos and videos on this ride. I've uploaded most of the photos to Strava and I may try and cobble the videos into some sort of coherent whole. I've also started writing a blog, as I have a lot to mutter about this ride, not least the state of some of the bridleways. I'll post links if I finish either...

Fun breakdown: 50% type 1, 25% type 2, 25% type 3.
Strava: Distance: 420.23km; Moving time: 21:29:11; Elevation: 2,572m
2020 BaM: 9/9
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Looks like a great wee trip that Jimmy.

Joe and I did our third consecutive BAM last night, with a very short trip out in good weather to one of our favourite spots. I bought a Gatewood cape at the end of last year and still hadn't managed to sleep out in it, so this was a chance to try it and also the Big Sky Moon View bivvy tent that I bought as an alternative. Joe was in the Big Sky and I had the Gatewood.

I left one side of the cape pegged out so that I could see the world. A light rain started in the night but I stayed very dry.

Joe said the Big Sky felt very small and he found it annoying having to be careful that he didn't touch the wet sides.

It was the first time we haven't shared a tent and neither of us enjoyed it much! The idea of the small tent was so that I could take something lighter if I went out solo at some time in the future. Covid has pretty much put paid to that though for the time being. I need to decide between which one (or neither) I keep though and sell the other(s). Will try the Big Sky myself next month and see how that goes. The difficulty is that our 3 man MSR carbon reflex is so good it is hard to better. Only 1.1kg and huge inside, it may not prove worth trying to shave a few hundred grams off and ending up with something much less convenient.

That's July, Aug and Sept for me and Borderer2