Logging roads in Wales?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

songololo

Logging roads in Wales?

Post by songololo »

I'm currently planning a route through Wales and I see there are several locations with forestry and what appear to be logging roads.

I'm trying to stick to "legit" routes where possible (e.g. bridleways) and so I'm wondering whether the logging roads are open for public thoroughfare or if there are "keep out" signs plastered everywhere?!

If they are not officially meant to be used, is there some sort of unofficial consensus on whether it is OK to use these roads without being overly concerned of repercussions?

Thanks.
pistonbroke

Re: Logging roads in Wales?

Post by pistonbroke »

If by logging roads you mean the fireroads that appear on OS maps as dashed parallel lines within the confines of a forestry area, crack on, I've ridden hundreds of miles of them unhindered over the years. The only issue with planning a route using them is that if actual logging operations are being undertaken on the day you are planning to ride a specific route, it may be closed for health and safety reasons and having seen the kit they use to get the trees out, it's for good reason. This closure risk also applies to any bridleways which may be in the area so no difference in right of way. Also the Forestry Commision is easier going than private forestry owners so it's worth finding out who actually owns the plantations you want to ride through. Mid Wales was my stomping ground for 30 years riding both mountainbikes and motorbikes and generally no-one cares as long as you don't behave like a tw@.
songololo

Post by songololo »

Thanks, good to have first hand input!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you use 1:25k Explorer maps, you can tell which forests are owned privately and which are owned ny Natural Resources Wales (kinda the new name for the FC).

As Duncan says, if it's NRW then crack on, if it's privately owned then it's somewhat of a gamble and you may find 'private' and 'keep out' signs ... but you might not. It's all down to the colour. The forest on the bottom right below the road is privately owned but the forest above the road is FC.

May the bridges you burn light your way
songololo

Post by songololo »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 pm If you use 1:25k Explorer maps, you can tell which forests are owned privately and which are owned ny Natural Resources Wales (kinda the new name for the FC).
Good to know, thanks!