Your go-to waterproof trousery pants

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Your go-to waterproof trousery pants

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just tying a few ends for the DD as I reckon I probably carried the heavy armyIssue goretex pants for the BB200 last year. Definitely think it's a good idea to carry wateeproofs but fancy a few grams less without spending a big chunk...

Remember Sean once mentioning he had Alpkit parralax... are these the go to for (actually effective in extended downpours) decent and lightweight waterproof pants... Or is there another cheaper option (without become armyIssue GT heavy)?

Thanks kindly... :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Your go-to waterproof pants

Oh... something with a zippable lower leg area to ensure they can be added and removed over the ankle length boots...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

This won't really help you, but I was considering whether waterproof trousers were a good idea for the DD, and therefore whether to get some new ones since the packable pair I keep in my pannier in case of a wet commute aren't really up to the job, and my others are lined ones for walking and therefore bulky.

My current thinking is, if there's a chance of prolonged rain in the forecast, take my waterproof MTB shorts. Lower legs and feet will get wet, but it shouldn't be too cold* and I can usually cope with that, and they'll stop my upper legs, and, importantly, a**e and shorts getting wet.

I did ride with a mate of mine this winter and he had some new full-length MTB trousers from Fox or Troy Lee Designs, someone like that. He said they were pretty pricey, and they looked a bit odd - fairly baggy, but tapering to narrow ankles for obvious reasons - but they worked pretty well.

*things you shouldn't say #346
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:52 pm Oh... something with a zippable lower leg area to ensure they can be added and removed over the ankle length boots...
FWIW I bought a pair of the Madison Zenith waterproof zip-offs. I've not yet used them so I can't say how effective they are. My one criticism so far is that "shorts" section is quite long and comes just past my knee. I'd have preferred it shorter. However, I know from using other zip-offs while walking that a zip around the thigh area creates a high probability of chafing.
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:55 pm take my waterproof MTB shorts
What shorts are they? and are they properly waterproof? or just more not standing up to the real world marketing guff waterproof?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Alpkit Parrallax are pretty good, hard to say if thet are 100% waterproof in prolonged heavy rain - think BB300 2018 conditions.

Even if they let some through they do keep the worst off and also keep the wind off, I have worn mine riding at night as an extra layer when it's not raining.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

My Endura Helium 3/4s were excellent. The seat area delaminated but they'd done reasonable miles by then. Still intending to buy another pair or the closest equivalent.

When you think about waterproof levels being a pressure rating it's easy to see how any fabric that isn't solid pore-free plastic will let water in when you're sat on a section of it. I'd ridden in all day rain in the Enduras and stayed comfortable.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I have been using Montane Atomic DT if still available, wore them yesterday for a walk as it happens. Lightweight and zips below the knee. Wore them on the Tour Divide and now on second pair having lost the first.
ton

Post by ton »

keela lightening.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The alpkit ones are good but I'm not sure how long they'd last with repeated use. I pack them if doing a long road ride or emergency off road use. If I feel rain is a dead cert I'll take my madison ones with the zip off lowers. Sturdier material but a bit bigger pack size.
redefined_cycles

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:36 pm The alpkit ones are good but I'm not sure how long they'd last with repeated use. I pack them if doing a long road ride or emergency off road use. If I feel rain is a dead cert I'll take my madison ones with the zip off lowers. Sturdier material but a bit bigger pack size.
Which Madisons?? I feel investing here would be the sensible option and most economy for me. Especiallyl since the zip off means I might be lucky and get some appropriate (I try to go with something that properly covers the knees for prayer purposes but there is a slight vsriation/different opinion on this) 3 quarts out of it aswell...

Do the Madisons have zipper vents. My previous Madisons delaminated after not very long at the bum hence had bad exp of their trousers so far but its probably an isolated thing...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:54 pm
johnnystorm wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:36 pm The alpkit ones are good but I'm not sure how long they'd last with repeated use. I pack them if doing a long road ride or emergency off road use. If I feel rain is a dead cert I'll take my madison ones with the zip off lowers. Sturdier material but a bit bigger pack size.
Which Madisons?? I feel investing here would be the sensible option and most economy for me. Especiallyl since the zip off means I might be lucky and get some appropriate (I try to go with something that properly covers the knees for prayer purposes but there is a slight vsriation/different opinion on this) 3 quarts out of it aswell...

Do the Madisons have zipper vents. My previous Madisons delaminated after not very long at the bum hence had bad exp of their trousers so far but its probably an isolated thing...
These ones:

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-zen ... 184=232185
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Just go with quality shorts, and use the space in your bags to hold a dry pair of trousers in a waterproof bag. Then put them on to sleep in or if you find some proper cover and need to warm up. Keep them dry though.

As others have said, your legs will survive a soaking and getting muddy. Waterproof trousers will not actually keep you dry, but dry trousers will keep you warm, and that is probably more important when it comes to it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Berghaus paclites - good fit and come in different leg lengths. Were waterproof for about a year and then started to wet out in prolonged downpours plus the waterproof zips weren't. Breathabillity OK but sweaty in warm weather. Still use for hill walking.
Rab storm pertex shield 2.5 layer. Shower proof only or not to bad for very light prolonged rain. Tend to carry if its not going to rain(!)
Berghaus Changtse pant - just got these earlier this year in time for 3 months of dry weather. Annoyingly they don't come in different leg lengths so had to size up and fit an elastic cord in the waist. Goretex active mixed with paclite plus - allegedly very waterproof and breathable. Same weight (ish) as paclites but more. Not tried them in anything other than a short sharp shower to date.

A number of years ago I got a cheap pair of vaude waterproof trousers from CRC. They took me through '14 and '15 Highland trails with much rain and were very waterproof, just a bit clammy inside. Shredded the bottoms as they didn't have zips so cut them down and I use them as waterproof shorts.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I often wonder whether waterproof trousers are worth having. I have never owned a pair, so rely on staying warm or waterproof shorts or both. Maybe I just run hot though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

slarge wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:17 pm I often wonder whether waterproof trousers are worth having.
That's gonna depend on where you live and what weather you ride in. Cairngorms in Winter, they're often not optional.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:30 pm
slarge wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:17 pm I often wonder whether waterproof trousers are worth having.
That's gonna depend on where you live and what weather you ride in. Cairngorms in Winter, they're often not optional.
Colin... looks like JohnnyStorm has just endorsed them very trousers you have sitting unused... you wanna sell em on to this economical Yorkshireman :o

Am I right in saying that you said they actually come past your knees during zipoff phase (and please tell me your a 32 and the trousers are a medium... if you're happy to sell em on :???: )
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:35 pm
Colin... looks like JohnnyStorm has just endorsed them very trousers you have sitting unused... you wanna sell em on to this economical Yorkshireman :o

Am I right in saying that you said they actually come past your knees during zipoff phase (and please tell me your a 32 and the trousers are a medium... if you're happy to sell em on :???: )
I've not used them...yet. I certainly have plans to!

But yes, I can confirm that, with the lowers removed, they come past my knees.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Peter Storm waterproof overtrousers from Millets.
Cheap, light, rubbish spec and I will replace them if they ever wearout which they haven't done for more years than I care to remember.

I also have Montane Minimus which are a rubbish design and channel water straight into my boots so I need to wear gaiters if I am using them.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Delv4 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:04 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:55 pm take my waterproof MTB shorts
What shorts are they? and are they properly waterproof? or just more not standing up to the real world marketing guff waterproof?
Endura Something-or-other. It's difficult to say if they're 100% waterproof since I only tend to wear them when there's mud/water being sprayed at my legs from every which way. But I've definitely worn them in heavy rain and taken them off to find the front of my thighs are dry. Water's going to start seeping in the waist eventually. I should really re-proof them as well as they're getting on a bit - thanks for the reminder!
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:37 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:35 pm

I've not used them...yet. I certainly have plans to!

But yes, I can confirm that, with the lowers removed, they come past my knees.
I have those madison trousers. they are very good.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Endura Something-or-other
If soft shell its stealth - they are waterproof but the material is not like a coat so the water does not run off and prolonged use can make you cold as the water is cold- to some degree offset by knee warmers etc
I would not expect to be warmif i wore these allday in the rain - i would expect to be dry .

I use mine for commuting and local night rides- they are not t all packable either so they are tights you ould wear at he start of a ride
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've waited patiently for 21 relies for Stu to arrive and point it out but as he's not done so, and as it's Friday, I'd just like to say they are TROUSERS - sorry Shaf, couldn't help myself

These are waterproof pants :lol:

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

:lol: does stu sell em in the shop
sean_iow wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 am I've waited patiently for 21 relies for Stu to arrive and point it out but as he's not done so, and as it's Friday, I'd just like to say they are TROUSERS - sorry Shaf, couldn't help myself

These are waterproof pants :lol:

ScotRoutes

Re: Your go-to waterproof trousers

Post by ScotRoutes »

In that case, what are underpants?