Cambrian Eagle Mystery Solved

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

macinblack

Cambrian Eagle Mystery Solved

Post by macinblack »

Back on the 2015 BB200, me and Steve NITB were bimbling along when a massive bird of prey came over the tops. I immediately thought Golden Eagle but we mused that they were instinct in Wales but couldn't really think what else it was. We weren't as high as a kite and bird watching definitely isn't a hobby of mine and so I've often pondered on what that bird was.
Today I was watching the Last Wilderness of Wales and lo and behold, there's Iolo Williams in the Cambrians with his beady eye on a Golden Eagle. Apparently it escaped from captivity around ten years ago.

Case closed.

Some very familiar countryside in this series for those that haven't seen it.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Cambrian Eagle Mystery Solved

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I knew there was one somewhere but I've never seen it. I believe there's another further south too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
faustus

Post by faustus »

Good stuff, never knew that! I'll watch the programme at some point, but the title does the classic thing of using 'wild' or 'wilderness' to sell a programme in the listings. It's a particular beef I have with the misuse of this word; and the Cambrians are many wonderful things, but it ain't wilderness. It's just few people live there, is all. The impact of humans is everywhere to see in that 'wilderness'. :???:
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

faustus wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:56 am The impact of humans is everywhere to see in that 'wilderness'. :???:
If it’s lack of human impact that defines wilderness, I doubt there is any left on the planet.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Some could argue that for sure. But on the spectrum of human influence on the landscape and the extent to which nature is free to impose itself, there aren't any areas in the UK that could be said to fit even a loose definition of wilderness. There's a common trait for culture to use the term freely but improperly, and it needs to be used properly in order to understand what nature and landscape is in the UK. As the wonderful Kathleen Jamie said about areas of Scotland where few people live: " ‘wilderness’ seems an affront to those many generations who took their living on that land." Same goes for the Cambrians.

Anyway sorry, it's a thread hijack and this is probably lockdown fever venting itself...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I keep coming to this thread in the hope someone's (off here) managed to take a snap of an eagle (any)... Its somethibg that really excites me. I once saw a buzzard on a commute (thanks to bob for realising that's what it was) and as I scrambled for the phone camera from opposite bush it did a 'para' dive a flew off low... Almost ripped my shirt trying to get in the bush to see out to the field...

Coolest, most indifferent/sedate looking bird I've ever seen (the buzzard) and hope one day to see summat bigger (in the great outdoors/naturally)...
psling

Post by psling »

I am sad to say that there are reports out today that the eagle has been found dead ☹️
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye just heard on t'wireless. RIP :sad: . Foul play we wonder?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

50p says poisoned by some fluffy bunny of a gamekeeper
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

it is almost always human foul play as they have no predators
Almost always poisioning from commercial sites that breed birds so folk can shoot them
Come the revolution they best start running because i am turning the guns on them.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That is very sad news. It also saddens me that keeping a secret or quiet about something, even when it's for the greater good, is something many people seem to struggle with these days ... had the eagle not featured on telly, would it still be alive?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I suspect that if foul play has been involved, it would not have been targeted solely at the eagle.
psling

Post by psling »

The body has been recovered so no doubt an autopsy will be carried out the results of which will hopefully be made public. I don't know what the usual lifespan of a golden eagle is or what age this particular one was; look forward to more details.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:56 pm That is very sad news. It also saddens me that keeping a secret or quiet about something, even when it's for the greater good, is something many people seem to struggle with these days ... had the eagle not featured on telly, would it still be alive?
I do wonder this too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I suspect that if foul play has been involved, it would not have been targeted solely at the eagle.
Aye poison is indiscriminate but it's not the only way to kill a bird.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

:cry:

They live for about 30 years. I hope it wasn't foul play but a thread on the other place about raptors doesn't bode well.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"The eagle was collected by a fellow member of Iolo's television crew who has ensured its registration in the Wildlife Incident Investigation Scheme run by the Welsh Government."

"While the cause of its death is unknown, Mr [Iolo] Williams said it was "quite an old bird", around 16, and he did not think there was any foul play".

As you say, we'll find out soon enough.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Ian

Post by Ian »

I think that eagle might be the same bird that used to belong to Charlie Watkins Williams Wynn, who lives near Abergwesyn. I’ve got a photo of it somewhere sat on a fence post in Nant yr Hwch forest. They’re quite big birds close up! Never saw it after that day, though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Wow, lucky Ian! I'll bet that was a gobsmacking experience :smile: . Possibly a bit trouser-compromising too?

HUX

Post by HUX »

Ian, Im pretty sure thats the bird that me and mike saw a few years back at the bottom of the devils staircase. Big old bird close up :shock:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

all birds of prey are
i once got felled by a BUzzard

Rounded a corner on the road Buzzard in road eating a rabbit Buzzard takes off towards me -heading straight at my head - Its miles bigger than your head with wings out and talons forward
I can still picture it now about 12 " from my face - very scary,
this was about 20 years ago as well.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hosk ... g%20blind.

I remember this bloke being on Blue Peter when I was a kid and telling the story of how an owl *took* his eye.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I remember this bloke being on Blue Peter when I was a kid and telling the story of how an owl *took* his eye.
My mum nearly lost an eye to Teapot the eagle owl. She looked liked Kirk Douglas for a year or so.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

For a while there was a pair of Eagle Owls who would nest near Dunsop Bridge - they had to close the footpath that ran close to the nest as the pair were so territorial they'd attack anyone who came near. Eagle Owls are bloody big birds as well.

Raptors with prey are very possessive - I was doing a sportive that went over the Cross o' Greet in the Bowland hills and there was a Peregrine sat in the road with its kill just eying the hundreds of cyclists going past as if to say "come near me and I'll have you!" It really wasn't for moving out of the way.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:23 pm
My mum nearly lost an eye to Teapot the eagle owl. She looked liked Kirk Douglas for a year or so.
I don't think you ever did tell us why "Teapot" - apart from the obvious that teapots are often beautiful things to look at and perfectly suited to their task - an orphan that you raised in the protection of a teapot?