WRT

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

WRT

Post by BigdummySteve »

Well the Welsh ride thing is looming and while it’s not going to be the same I’m still looking forward to it as much as ever.
Was just wondering what people will be doing differently, this bloody virus is still lurking. I the postie has just delivered some real turmat dehydrated food for me just incase the cafes etc are booking only.
Are people still planning on going to the star? Is it even a good idea, if not perhaps we could pop in at some point and put a little business their way?
Are you planning on avoiding potentially busy places such as Barmouth?
It’s going to be very different but it will still be tramping around mid Wales so in many ways the same.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Re: WRT

Post by RIP »

Would be nice to pop in at Y Star for a quick pint after visiting Stu - to take away the taste of the coffee :wink: .

Can't see us making many changes TBH - try the pubs/cafes but shops'll be open as backup. If it helps, while we're in the boozer quaffing and munching gourmet ales and titbits we'll wave at you through the window scoffing your dehyd in the gale outside :-bd .

But yah, still jiggling me leg with anticipation of a cracking weekend as usual. Whatever happens - whatever - it'll be ace.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Chris n and I have a socially disengaged plan that involves dropping into civilisation once a day for Spar supplies. If the weather is good we'll sit out a pub or two for an energy drink. Otherwise we'll be ghosts in the countryside. :grin:
chris n

Post by chris n »

Pretty much the same as every other WRT I've done then. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, it'll seem slightly unusual this year but I reckon if we embrace it and enter into the spirit, then we should all emerge largely unscathed :wink:

Towns are reasonably busy which means you'll blend in and go largely unnoticed. I know the Star were open for alfresco food and drink but I'm not sure about the need to book ... I shall inquire.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Called into the Star last night and the good news is that you'll all be very welcome over the Bank holiday weekend, there will be food and drink and you don't have to book. They'll be open all day, each day. :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I wont be staying there this time, I'll be rocking up on the day... to wherever the hell it is I'm likely to start.

Still looking for someone / group to ride with. Got to sort that out soon. lol
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wasn't so much about people staying Richard, more that they might like to call in on their travels.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, I was just talking about the pre-ride gathering. They're up a big old hill so I'll likely be passing on going there during. :lol:
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Good job it's not this weekend, apparently no gps signal within
52nm of Sennybridge :o
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dyffers wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:49 am Chris n and I have a socially disengaged plan that involves dropping into civilisation once a day for Spar supplies. If the weather is good we'll sit out a pub or two for an energy drink. Otherwise we'll be ghosts in the countryside. :grin:
Mike and I will be doing the same on a Fat Bike beach route ride, popping in at BB towers on the Bank Holiday Monday morning
Nice short chilled out days at around 35 miles, 40 miles and 11 miles to finish
For once we'll be passing by 3 grid refs too
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:36 am Called into the Star last night and the good news is that you'll all be very welcome over the Bank holiday weekend, there will be food and drink and you don't have to book. They'll be open all day, each day. :-bd
Sounds good, I'm thinking of trying to go there for breakfast on Monday, before heading over to BB tower for cake and that now infamous coffee....
Verena

Post by Verena »

[/quote]

Mike and I will be doing the same on a Fat Bike beach route ride, popping in at BB towers on the Bank Holiday Monday morning
Nice short chilled out days at around 35 miles, 40 miles and 11 miles to finish
For once we'll be passing by 3 grid refs too
[/quote]

That sounds quite similar to my plan, minus the fat bike, but heading over to the beach and shorter rides...
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:44 pm ...beach route ride...
I'm only going to Borth if it's lashing it down; I've never been on a Welsh beach when it's not raining and don't want to break the run. :grin:
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Dyffers wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:49 am Chris n and I have a socially disengaged plan that involves dropping into civilisation once a day for Spar supplies. If the weather is good we'll sit out a pub or two for an energy drink. Otherwise we'll be ghosts in the countryside. :grin:
Similar thoughts here... some remote camping, dropping into the valleys for Spar pit stops and haunting the forests around Pumlumon… BB Towers mid weekend; in and out the back door :wink: :grin: :o
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fat tyre kicker wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:10 pm Good job it's not this weekend, apparently no gps signal within
52m of Sennybridge :o
Make sure you stop going south when you get to the Bluebell Inn and you'll be fine then :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I have visions of boners lining the hills around BB towers like an army waiting to attack, all perfectly still, menacing, silhouetted by the setting sun.
Probably just stagger in gasping for cake :lol:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm ont' left, Dee's ont' right - Midday Ceulan on Sat.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It’s Victoria sponge we want not Victoria bloody Crosses :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 am Image
I'm ont' left, Dee's ont' right - Midday Ceulan on Sat.
Rourkes Driff or Isandlwana though?

psling

Post by psling »

Just so long as Stu doesn't start singing Men of Harlech... :shock: :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Isn't it time for the John Climber posts up the (belated) WRT weather forecast way too early thread yet?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:34 pm Isn't it time for the John Climber posts up the (belated) WRT weather forecast way too early thread yet?

You're banned from weather apps! Even the weather tried to kill your last phone if I'm not mistaken. I'm not going and I still don't want to find out :shock: . As you will still go ahead and publish the weather that people are not wanting to hear, your posts should be private with a spoiler alert or password protected to save the eyes of the naive amongst us :lol: Or maybe start a poll? Haha! (Joking obviously...a bit)
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:34 pm Isn't it time for the John Climber posts up the (belated) WRT weather forecast way too early thread yet?
Way too early :wink: . If you feel yourself wavering, click on this quickly: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17998

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:13 pm
Way too early :wink: . If you feel yourself wavering, click on this quickly: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17998
I missed that post :grin: