Headlight adaptor:could someone measure their Joystick thickness please?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Headlight adaptor:could someone measure their Joystick thickness please?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Feel free to stop me or advise. But after testing the Lumenator this week I'm confident it'll not last the 4 days or more of the DD (hopefully I'll not chicken out). But can't afford the Exposures and my backup Nightcore which is very 'amazing' with ticking most boxes (usb chargeable without extra cables... user replaceable massive 18650 batteries in 3500mah.. well built and 5 year or longer warranty etc), has a rubbish mounting system albeit a TwoFish...

Solution is to adhere a goPro mount and use it up front where the Lumenator sits...

So get one of these from fleabay from Landan

Adhere it to the torch and make it sit like so with some cable ties as extra security...

So, is there a better way that anyone knows and is the Araldite Steel epoxy the best stuff to glue 2 alloys together (will roughen up first)...

Thanks in advance :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Re: My headlight bodge plan

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I have a Lumenator sitting unused in a drawer. I've kept it as a "backup", though I've yet to have my Exposures fail on me. Would you like to borrow the battery? That might save a bit of faff.
redefined_cycles

Re: My headlight bodge plan

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:53 am FWIW I have a Lumenator sitting unused in a drawer. I've kept it as a "backup", though I've yet to have my Exposures fail on me. Would you like to borrow the battery? That might save a bit of faff.
Colin... thats very nice of you but I think I'm at the point in my life where I'm happy that I'm finally gonna drop a bit of weight. The Nitecore are v v good (did I already say that!) and I doubt an extra battery from a Lumenator will make me happy... Having 2x compact and lightweight 3500mah batteries for the Nitecore will though and it saves me some (read: lots) of space in pack aswell. So a win win...

Just need to ensure I find something to give me a good enough bond/hold :smile: and hopefully I'll never have to upgrade to Exposure (HL that is) and everyone will live happily ever after.

Really appreciate that offer though :-bd
redefined_cycles

Re: Please could someone measure thickness of Jostick

Mate of mine pointed me to this page https://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/expo ... unt-small/ which is a design he had custom made a few years aga and thankfully RaceWare is selling in the shop now.

It takes Jostick, Diablo or Equinox lights but I'm unable to find a dimensional thickness for em. My Nitecore is 23 and 25mm thick. So if it might be possible for anyone to get some calipers on their Exposure light (of abovementioned flavours then it'd be really most appreciated...

Wotsits

Re: Headlight adaptor:could someone measure their Joystick thickness please?

Post by Wotsits »

23.5mm diam Shaf..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

Perfect.. thanks Jase
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

My mk5 axis is 23.8mm, I believe they are the same centre o/d as joysticks.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Shaf, how many hours of darkness are you actually going to be riding? You will probably need some hours (10-12) of being seen lights ( so flashing road lights or something that - Exposure Joystick??) and and 10-12 hours of "seeing" lights - your lumenator or something.

If it all goes wrong, spend some time plugged in to a mains socket in a cafe to charge up a battery, or do less night riding (or have a B&B on night 2 or 3 to fully charge things)
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 pm Shaf, how many hours of darkness are you actually going to be riding? You will probably need some hours (10-12) of being seen lights ( so flashing road lights or something that - Exposure Joystick??) and and 10-12 hours of "seeing" lights - your lumenator or something.

If it all goes wrong, spend some time plugged in to a mains socket in a cafe to charge up a battery, or do less night riding (or have a B&B on night 2 or 3 to fully charge things)
Thanks for this. Goo reminder to ensure I take the baby exposure (track... or trace.. whichever) which can be charged via the PB. B&B... sounds super cool. Good reminder to pack a mains charger :-bd

Regards riding by night... :grin: you'll be incredibly surprised at how slow I actually travel (lot of unintentional faffing as well as the slow speeds in first place :smile: ).

Regards the headlight thing Steve. It's not just for the DD but my Nitecores (got a baby and its daddy which is 1000 high quality lumens) actually been neglected after the investment of £200. So with this adaptor I'll be able to use both for work aswell which sees alot of night riding both ways during the darker months...

:-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

If you do need a baby exposure they are on offer in the exposure 2nds lighting sale at the moment. Just picked up 2 of the little flash/flare things for £35
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:35 pm If you do need a baby exposure they are on offer in the exposure 2nds lighting sale at the moment. Just picked up 2 of the little flash/flare things for £35
Do these ones have the usb charging port (they look like the older version to mine with the usb you see... one of which I lost :sad: )
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I got my (late) mum a nitecore torch, uses a 18650 battery and then found the mount for the joystick/diablo worked really well. Tis all just a 18660 down the centre innit.
redefined_cycles

Zippy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:24 pm I got my (late) mum a nitecore torch, uses a 18650 battery and then found the mount for the joystick/diablo worked really well. Tis all just a 18660 down the centre innit.
Yup thanks Zippy.. the adaptor from RaceWare for Exposure is working spot on. Sorry bout your mum :sad:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's items like this that really makes me think I should invest a bit of time and money into a 3D printer!