Very minimal tarp tents

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Very minimal tarp tents

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 am
It was this one that appealed at 170g though, has a protected front in a similar way as the Gatewood poncho -
I hadn't seen the version with the door James. I wonder what condensation would be like with no apex vent*?

*from what I can see.
Good Q....

I wouldn't expect to be using it fully closed very often but then the Q is why buy the version w/doors. What I'm really after is more protection from the rain than tree cover offers and more flexibility than looking for a bus shelter or old barn if the weather is threatening more than a bit of drizzle (where I'd really need my 400g WP Rab bivi bag vs my 180g TerraNova bag cover that isn't truly weather proof for long).
So the open version pitched under trees is a better more protected shape than a flat tarp in the same place, as well as more protected on those nights in open areas when I wake up in the bivi getting rained on. For either version, at 130-170g there's no loss in carrying it and not using it 50% of the nights I'm out.
stevewaters

Re: Very minimal tarp tents

Post by stevewaters »

I went for the Deschutes over the Gatewood Cape as I am 6'1" and wanted the slightly extra "length". I have a Lunar Solo too and use the same carbon pole from Stuart for both.

I love them both for different scenarios.