Minimal clothing setup

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rollindoughnut

Minimal clothing setup

Post by rollindoughnut »

Could you critique my current clothing conclusions.

Socks
Lycra shorts
Leg warmers
Waterproof shorts

Merino long sleeved top
Thin fleece
Waterproof jacket
(+ Down jacket if its cold)

Cap
Beanie

Track mitts
Full finger gloves

Would those of you with more experience than me (hey that'll be everyone then), comment on these choices. Normally when riding from home I'd wear shorts and top if hot, shorts and gabba if medium or tights and insulated soft shell jacket if cold. Rarely need waterproofs as being warm and wet for just a few hours isn't really a problem. However I'd imagine full waterproofs are essential for big trips.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Minimal clothing setup

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My clothing tends to be quite limited. I generally try and dress for the conditions and wear things rather than carry them.

Summer / warm - I'd probably wear jersey and lightweight baggies. I would carry a lightweight down jacket, lightweight (but decent) waterproof and a spair pair of socks to sleep in. Often won't bother with gloves.

Winter / cold - I'd add a layer under my jersey and a jacket over it, which would usually be my waterproof. I would still carry a down jacket and spare pair of socks but would also add a thin beanie that'll go under a helmet and if it's very cold, a buff so I can cover my face. I take a pair of gloves but I find that even good gloves soon give up, so either fit pogies or wear Marigolds.

When things get really bad, I'll stick a black bin bag over everything.

That wouldn't really vary with the duration of the ride.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

I'd say you're pretty much on the button there (oh, and welcome to the forum!).

Usual stuff; baselayer, midlayer, top layer dependent on weather/season/terrain. If it works for you (as per your last paragraph) then it's good
By long journey if you mean overnighting then you'll be carrying some kind of shelter however minimalist which can double as emergency shelter. I would usually carry lightweight waterproof jacket and 3/4 shorts unless the forecast was for prolonged dry spell.
Merino (and bamboo) are very popular - personally I don't like it because it feels damp and clammy to me when I stop riding and chills quite quickly but I think I'm the odd-one-out in that respect
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Merino long sleeved top
Thin fleece
Waterproof jacket
(+ Down jacket if its cold)
I'd be tempted to try a light, packable primaloft-style gilet instead of the fleece layer. I rarely find I need equal insulation on my arms as my body - though perhaps because I don't have much natural insulation. I get cold quickly in bad weather. A primaloft gilet works when wet or dry, used over a LS top or base layer it insulates my core while my arms radiate/cool - it's a combo that works over a thin base layer and under a waterproof and I've ridden long days in some really crappy weather with that combo. It should be lighter, pack smaller and be more effective insulation as well as holding less water. This one is just superb for the money -https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-gilet-tre ... 58304.html
I have 5 o 6 different synthetic padded tops and this one is by far the best VFM and almost as good as the very best at any cost tbh. If only they made a brighter-coloured version.

I like merino but for multi day rides where I may be using a base layer ~50-75% of the time I prefer something like the Altura Thermocool, a really thin but effective base layer that dries a lot quicker (ie overnight or carries less water if packed while damp).
I would usually carry lightweight waterproof jacket and 3/4 shorts
3/4 length being the important bit of the shorts I think. I have some really light Gore Windstopper nearly-WP shorts and for extended wet-weather riding they're rarely worth the weight/pack size saving over a good below-knee 3/4 length WP short. Covered knees is a real boost, I then have no need for knee warmers unless it's something like Scottish cold, wet spring weather.
psling

Post by psling »

jameso wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:14 am
I'd be tempted to try a light, packable primaloft-style gilet instead of the fleece layer. I rarely find I need equal insulation on my arms as my body...
I'm a big fan of gilets, really useful bit of kit (and I probably have far too many of them!) - great for layering up the core without impeding the arms. And in what may sound like a total contradiction to that I am also a fan of armwarmers as a lightweight carry-along on any ride :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Basic setup (let's say British summer):

lightweight socks
bib shorts
lightweight sleeveless cycling top
fingerless gloves

For light rainy days add a lightweight waterproof - packs into a jersey pocket

For cooler mornings or days - add arm warmers

Cooler still - add a short sleeved vest, I've a modern mesh version of the old string vest. Maybe use leg warmers.

Getting towards proper cold - ditch the arm warmers and vest and add a long sleeved thermal layer and use a windshirt. Long sleeved gloves. Replace bib shorts with full length bib tights.

Proper wet and cold - replace the lightweight waterproof with heavier duty top. Depending on conditions I might use 3/4 length overtrousers but I really don't like much on my legs unless the conditions are really crap. (The 2018 BB200 wasn't bad enough for me to consider using them!)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

psling wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:25 am And in what may sound like a total contradiction to that I am also a fan of armwarmers as a lightweight carry-along on any ride :cool:
No, I agree - a primaloft gilet, arm warmers and a base layer is a really adaptable combo. Works great, until you walk into a pub for dinner : )

A bit OT but I was suprised how well my Shimano Transit LS shirt worked in Wales last week. It's a great summer top but it was also really good with a light base layer underneath. The shirt uses fairly windproof material but is also exceptionally well vented. What suprised me is how good it felt riding with the shirt over a base in cooler weather or stop-start light drizzle, or with a WP jacket on over the base and shirt layers - heat regulation was much better under the WP than with a trad LS bike jersey. Maybe something to do with air layer separation and heat gradients compared to tighter-fitted layering, in the same way that primaloft facilitates so well. ( :ugeek: )
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

jameso wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:39 am No, I agree - a primaloft gilet, arm warmers and a base layer is a really adaptable combo. Works great, until you walk into a pub for dinner : )
+1 for arm/leg covers and base layer. Staples in my setup.
Have you had issues getting served wearing arm warmers James? : )

Greetz

S.
ton

Post by ton »

best £10 i ever spent was on a decathlon gilet that jameso told me about. ace bit of kit
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Summer is always a short sleeved shirt and arm warmers - more adaptable solution IMHO than plain long sleeved.
Also a fan of gillets as they weigh nothing and do a great job on windchill - I have one with zip off sleeves which goes if i know i will be going pretty high up - if not just a standard one
Nerver tried the thermal one linked but intereting suggestion for unpredictable spring/autumn. I suspect this willbe purchased by me
I always wear waterproof trousers [winter]or shorts[not winter] I have shorts 3/4 and full length
I dont always a take a puffa jacket [ not winter or when its cold obvs]- I do often regret this for a bit but its a fair weight for something you may only wear for a few hours at night in which case i just wrap my sleeping bag around me if loitering - I will end up with a quilt I can wear as a poncho when I get round to making this,
Ther eis alot to be said for adaptability for changing weather conditions - In this respect winter is easy as just take everything warm but in the UK the rest of the year it can hot and sunny or cold and wet so you just need to be prepared

I dont always carry a waterproof and use a lightweight windproof in high summer - TBH I am so sweaty its really just a choice between wet with rain or hot and humid due to sweat. I chose the later. I have regretted this decision a couple of times but not enough to buy shakedry[ well not by the time i am home] If they were cheaper and durable I would have one.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Scattamah wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:05 am Have you had issues getting served wearing arm warmers James? : )
ha, no ... just thinking about how daft that could look, combine with lycra tights for a fancy dress bug costume : )