Cumulus vs Thermarest Recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

samwise

Cumulus vs Thermarest Recommendations

Post by samwise »

Thinking about getting a lightweight quilt for summer bike trips and hiking for when I dont want to carry around my Alpkit SkyeHigh 500.

Any recommendations between the Vesper™ 45F/7C Quilt or Cumulus Quilt 150 ?

I'll probs end up pairing with my Sea To Summit liner when needed.

Cheers,
Sam
Escape Goat

Re: Cumulus vs Thermarest Recommendations

Post by Escape Goat »

"You'll see a lot of love here for Cumulus." quotation form someone on here a couple years ago when I asked a similar.

I use a Cumulus 250 quilt, 350 and 450 bag.

Very happy and warm.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

There was some chat on this previously. I think the general view was that for the penalty of c.100g extra down the Cumulus 250 was a much more versatile bit of kit for the average user in the UK. A search might turn up the discussion.

Depends a lot on how warm or cold you sleep. Warmth and comfort are very subjective so one person can be toasty whilst another is freezing in the same conditions with the same kit.

Probably goes without saying but, just in case, your mat is critical when using a quilt. The warmer / higher R rated it is the less heat will be lost to ground (often the coldest thing you are in contact with or one of the most significant heat sinks when sleeping). For e.g. a lighter quilt will stretch into colder conditions if your mat is more insulated.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Thanks for the replies. My other thought was to go with an Alpkit Pipedream 200 but I like the versatility of the quilt.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't make a direct comparison between the two as I've never used a Thermarest but looking st the specs, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either as they're quite similar. The vesper does have an additional 60g of down though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I have the Thermarest and love it. I like the footbox. I'm not sure I understand the footbox thing on the Cumulus but the idea of zips down there at my feet doesn't fill me with excitement.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Yep, the Thermarest has more fill but the comfort temperature rating is higher (11 vs 9)....pinch of salt....

I think one advantage of the Cumulus is that it can be opened up flat, so might have some advantage for other things such as the van. The Thermarest looks cosier! :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I asked a quilt/light/bag question recently and had myself set on this https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ilt-p12911 as its rated to 0 and (IMO) unless needing to go ultralight then a heavy quilt can easily accomodate warmer temps as it's all open and can just be layered off!

My target weight was 500ish and cos i sleep cold (questioned myself in previous years whether I had the 'cold peripheries' diseases which might have been due smoking too much :shock: so I ended up investing the warmer/heavier gear...

Anyway, to cut it short, cos both them items you mentioned are well-built, over engineered affairs, I'd go slightly heavier which would hopefully save a few quid and push the limits of temps a bit better... More importantly though I'd consider putting an ad on here (unless you'd rather a brandnew item) and see what comes up.

I held out thankfully and whilst I had my light-bag thoughts on hold, Rich decided to sell his Cumulus 350 and I got a right bargain :-bd

Oh... and my first (recycled) high-ender bag was off here too. A PHD minim-summat at sub 500ish grams. Thankfully Ian Fitz sold it me and I remember him having upgraded (others might call it different when going from PHD) to a 250 Cumulus and was very happy. The PHDs still going strong with its 3rd owner now btw...

Sorry if it's all sounds a bit rambly and hope it helps :smile:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

FWIW I have an EE quilt with a zip and draw string foot box like the Cumulus. It’s never caused me any bother. I’ve also never used the quilt with it undone. If I ever need a new quilt I’d opt for a fixed foot box and kept it simple.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC