Hot ... innit?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Hot ... innit?

Post by TheBrownDog »

Those of you familiar with my work will know that while I'm a native Cumbrian, I grew up in Brisbane, Oz, where it's 30+ deg and 90% humidity for about 9 months of the year. I never ever liked it. One summer, our mother dressed me and my brothers in polyester body shirts and sent us off to Fancutts Tennis Academy for two weeks of intensive ball whacking in 40 deg heat. It was hideous.

But I digress. It's 34 degs and my house insulation is slowly giving up the ghost, so I'm sitting at my computer in my pants with my feet in a bucket of water. (Sorry. It's not pretty, and what has been imagined cannot be unimagined). I was hoping this week, what with Cost Center 1 and 2 at their mother's for a change, I might get out for a few evening rides. No chance.

As you were.
I'm just going outside ...
99percentchimp

Re: Hot ... innit?

Post by 99percentchimp »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:40 pm I'm sitting at my computer in my pants with my feet in a bucket of water. (Sorry. It's not pretty, and what has been imagined cannot be unimagined).
:shock: :lol: :lol:
Cost Center 1 and 2 at their mother's for a change
:lol: :lol: This made me laugh..... thanks
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Pleasant here in Ellesmere Port, but a large black cloud is rolling in...

Friday was foul, 31C and I was working outside in it, not enough water in the world that day :o Still, beats working in an office :-bd
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I like it when it's either really hot or really cold. Our usual "in between, not doing much of anything apart from rain" sort of weather doesn't suit me at all.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I really struggle in the heat, anything above about 20deg is really bad for me. Not just uncomfortable but actually effects my health/wellbeing. I had a BBQ lunch with friends on Thursday, loafing on Friday and a ride on Saturday, consistently above 20deg here for most of last week, particularly the end/weekend. Sunday I was pretty rough, couldn’t drink enough water, no matter how I tried. Kinda looking forward to the rain/thunderstorms tomorrow and rest of the week(currently!)😊😄
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I really dislike the heat, although I did go out and do 50 miles in it yesterday.

I won't be doing it again.
May satan walk with you
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I love the heat, good job given where we live. It's been 25°+ for 2 months now and 30°+ for the last 3 weeks. I'm training hard for the Badlands bikepacking event in Andalucia in 4 weeks and beat my best time up the 10km 260m climb from the village today, putting me 13th overall on Garmin Connect. Pity the Badlands is 700km and 17,000m of climbing. :shock:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'm gonna (attempt to) ride 220ish miles to London on early Wednesdy morning. The weather has been stressing me. But now you mention the rain its kinda brought a smile to my face.

Pity it's not brought a smile to my left knee though (whenever it thinks of this ride-atttempt it goes into meltdown (it being kept going for a 100 miles on same route last year with CoCodamol and Ibuprofen concoctions might have summat to do with it... before it finally gave in just before Aylsbury).

Anyway, I digress. Been contemplating trying to squeeze the 750ml (x2) bottles into the frame (as opposed to the 650ml easier fitting ones with the BP bag) with a spare with Voile straps under the downtube. But from the mention of 'wet' above, it seems I might not need to!?!

I don't do very well in heat (at all) either!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

What is this 'Hot' of which you speak?
Had a few warmish days and nights but mostly only mid 20's......
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

38 degrees in Warner Brothers rigging yard on Friday, was working in a shipping container! By 2pm I couldn’t touch the roof so rigged up a test weight system on the gantry next to it, the thoughtfully provided tin roof gently cooked me, by 3pm I had to call it a day on the verge of heatstroke. Horrible.
Finished very early today but it’s just too hot and humid to ride.
Had no problem in Spain, it’s a different sort of heat.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
gairym

Post by gairym »

The Cumbrian wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:11 pm I like it when it's either really hot or really cold. Our usual "in between, not doing much of anything apart from rain" sort of weather doesn't suit me at all.
+1 for this ^

Other than the drivers on the road and (most of) the people that populate the UK, the weather is the thing I miss least about good ole blighty! :-bd

11 months a year of grey monotony with two weeks of warm weather in late spring (just enough for people to start claiming it's going to be the longest, hottest summer EVER), a miserable excuse for a summer, two weeks in September (once people have given up on summer ever making an appearance) and then one half-arsed snowy day each winter to grind the country to a halt. :-bd

I'll take long HOT summers and long COLD winters* every time!

[*and to be honest, I could do without the winters]
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

gairym wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:05 am
The Cumbrian wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:11 pm I like it when it's either really hot or really cold. Our usual "in between, not doing much of anything apart from rain" sort of weather doesn't suit me at all.
+1 for this ^

Other than the drivers on the road and (most of) the people that populate the UK, the weather is the thing I miss least about good ole blighty! :-bd

11 months a year of grey monotony with two weeks of warm weather in late spring (just enough for people to start claiming it's going to be the longest, hottest summer EVER), a miserable excuse for a summer, two weeks in September (once people have given up on summer ever making an appearance) and then one half-arsed snowy day each winter to grind the country to a halt. :-bd

I'll take long HOT summers and long COLD winters* every time!

[*and to be honest, I could do without the winters]
Hooray for ex-pats :-bd
Maybe you bang on about the sub standard food, small dark houses and the Wnter of Discontent as well :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
gairym

Post by gairym »

Hey, hey, hey, no need to get tetchy.

[Panda on standby]

I'm perfectly entitled to whine about any elements of the UK that bother me, just like you.

I fully respect your right to complain about expats so please allow me to not like the UK climate - deal???
faustus

Post by faustus »

Doing office work from home like many people, and I hate the constant discomfort of this heat, and riding is unpleasant after about 9am. It's been 32'C or more every day since friday here and no break until Thursday by the looks of it, hardly dipped below 20 at night outside and i think the house has turned into a night storage heater so it's 26 inside at best! Not so much fun trying to keep young kids and a 3 month old cool - though he's coping better than his parents! :sad:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Peace upon all peoples of the world :grin:
But the whole UK weather/expat thing is utterly boring.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Stop you're bloody bickering you lot.

I've given up today. Im desk bound so respect to anyone who's doing physical stuff out there. But my home thermometer says its 34 degs in here .... sacking work and Im going to sit in the bath with a beer and Ipad
I'm just going outside ...
composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As a side note - we were treated to most spectacular electrical storm I've ever seen on Monday night. It went on for hours and the sky was lit up continually. It was something of a once in a lifetime thing .... until we had another one last night :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Shovelled a couple of tonnes of soil yesterday.
It was 31 all day apart from between 3 and 5 o clock where it peaked at 36 Deg c
I've had to go commando!
Grubby little urchin.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Was bloody hot in Walthamstow today, especially up on the mezzanine lugging truss about. 36 deg in the van thermometer, as I came through the M40 cutting into Oxfordshire it started thundering storming and rapidly dropped to 20 deg, Bliss :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Al

Post by Al »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:01 am As a side note - we were treated to most spectacular electrical storm I've ever seen on Monday night. It went on for hours and the sky was lit up continually. It was something of a once in a lifetime thing .... until we had another one last night :-bd
Third night in a row in Shropshire- never known anything like it.

Had a big ride round Rhayader today before it all kicked off. Crazy, crazy hot - Very welcome swim in the river at the end.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pm Was bloody hot in Walthamstow today, especially up on the mezzanine lugging truss about. 36 deg in the van thermometer, as I came through the M40 cutting into Oxfordshire it started thundering storming and rapidly dropped to 20 deg, Bliss :-bd
I grew up Walthamstow, not been back in nearly 30 years.