Anyone else get the 'Can't be arsed' feeling?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Anyone else get the 'Can't be arsed' feeling?

Post by summittoppler »

Spent the afternoon packing the kit with the usual faffing. I wasn't really in the mood but went with it. A 25 minute drive later saw me at Coedty reservoir (northern Snowdonia). Still wasn't in the mood despite the fine weather. An hours pedal later I just though 'feck it', turned around and retraced my treads back to the car :roll:
I wouldn't mine but it was glorious out there and after looking out of the front window this morning its still the same. Feel a bit pee'd off right now for not continuing and 'wasting' a good night.

Anyone else feel like this at times?

Pics to show how 'nice' it was....
ImageIMG_20200807_205759_389 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200807_181129 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Anyone else get the 'Can't be arsed' feeling?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon it happens to most of us from time to time Jeff. Chalk it up and forget all about it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've done it before, headed out with the kit and after a couple of hours just ridden home again. Some days despite the best of intentions if your not feeling it then don't force it. You did still go for a 2 hour ride in great weather, so not a wasted opertunity just not the one you planned.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yeah, just happens sometimes. Yesterday was just too hot and humid for me so despite Cath having the day off work we basically did nothing. Slowly drumming up the energy to do something today :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If I make it as far as being on the bike I can usually get over it but plenty times I've got stricken with CBA before leaving the house; and an odd time where my epic 3 day route has turned into an hours pedal. As per above, put it down to all part of the deal. We are getting out a lot more than most normal cyclists so the odd Duvet day ain't going to do any harm
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Yep and have sacked it, other times have persevered and had a great time. If I really am losing riding mojo I just sack it and do something else, usually something a bit more vigorous 🤪. I like the meditative state riding often gets me into but sometimes I want an hour if belting something *(occasionally literally).
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Don’t beat yourself up, good that you got out. Sometimes it just doesn’t feel good, go with it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i dont think I have bailed when I have started - I do recall a horrible 6 hour lakeland ride where I knew straight away [ groupride] I had nothing in the tank* - after the first climb I worked out i had done 3% of the distance - it was not pleasant but I finished- it was horrible.Commuted to workthe next day and felt fine.

I bale by not getting the bike at all and dont see anything wrong with it as long a it does not become a pattern.
Oh and a mate once drove for 2 hours to the lakes in rain , refused to get out his car due to the rain and then drove home . To be fair it was belting it down [biblical levels] but it had been all the way up .- kut seems an odd place to bale.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better knowing that other Boners have suffered from the CBA syndrome :-bd
And yes, it was a positive to get out for the evenings ride :cool:

Instagram:

YouTube:
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Weirdly I have far more can't be arsed moments when it's hot and sunny than during the rest of the year. Maybe it's the extra challenge that wild weather brings but probably it's just that heat sucks the energy out of you.
I've shelved plans for a big ride tomorrow and am heading out at dawn to fly model gliders instead. Am really excited. Haven't flown since before lockdown. Will be lovely spending time on the South Downs with a flask of coffee, sandwiches and nothing more strenuous than a short walk to the slope.
ton

Post by ton »

i try to ride every single day, and i mean every day. if i dont ride i feel guilty all day long, and worry that my weekly/yearly mileage will suffer.
sad as F UCK i know.

but that is how i am. i do also suffer from the 'cant be arsed' feeling, but i try not to give in to it.

that would make me even sadder than i already am.

#ineedtherapy
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

rollindoughnut wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:12 pm I've shelved plans for a big ride tomorrow and am heading out at dawn to fly model gliders instead. Am really excited. Haven't flown since before lockdown. Will be lovely spending time on the South Downs with a flask of coffee, sandwiches and nothing more strenuous than a short walk to the slope.
I used to build RC gliders when I was young, I once built an 8ft span tow launched glider, single channel control ( rudder and elevators are combined) it was fitted with a de-thermalising parachute with and the normal slow burn fuse/ rubber band system.
First flight we towed it up on a really good thermal day, good height off the launch so put her into a test turn, cam ratios good, nice balanced turns. Then I got into some good lift, set it into a nice spiral and rode it up. Decided I had enough altitude so tried to slip off the lift, unfortunately the simple controls just couldn’t turn me fast enough to escape, the DT fuse never released the tail parachute and eventually we lost sight, never seen again despite address and telephone number on fuselage.

Happy days :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Its been happening to me Jeff. Went to do the winter route we done two years ago a couple of weeks back. Got to the bog by the bridge by Bugeilyn and just turned around.
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

had a rare free day yesterday but mainly due to the temperature being in the 30s and partly because I didn’t fancy attempting to bleed the rear brake on my preferred bike, I CBA and wasted the entire day pottering about the house.

Today forced myself out at 10am and did a 3 1/2 hour local ride, mainly along the Thames where I hoped there would be a bit more breeze, (there wasn’t) and it was probably my least favourite ride of the year but I’m glad I did it, shortly off to an airconditioned cinema with the kids where I will probably have a snooze. :-bd
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Sometimes riding is like farting.
If you force it, it turns to sub standard.

I have more than my fair share of down days on a bike, but yeah, don’t get to het up on it, it happens to us all.
Mart

Post by Mart »

It happens - I lose my mojo when i don’t have a goal or ambition
Once I have a target then i find it easier to get out and focus on the objective (it could just be training for an event)
sometimes i like to be on my own but love the WRT/Winter events etc when I ride with Jay / Paramart and others and we usually have a good adventure and some craic along the way
2924 miles per Gallon
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Week last Friday, going for a walk and a camp somewhere in Snowdonia. Bag all packed bar food and beer, got home and ordered Chinese instead! Didn't fancy the drive to be fair after a busy week(even had a new tent to play with...)
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

A couple of weeks ago I went for a planned 30 mile spin out on the Pennine Bridleway. I wasn't feeling it when I got to Black Rocks car park, but persevered and set off. I forgot about the steep grind to Middleton Top, so I wasn't very happy about that but kept going. A couple of miles further on I turned back, saving it for another day.
Once I made the decision to turn back I started to feel better, and didn't regret only doing 10 miles when I got back to the car.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Done it myself the other day, good weather for riding had the afternoon to myself as well got kitted up walked downstairs just stopped and ended getting changed and sat watching the tele box :???: happens now n then mate i guess
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Well this is fantastic. I think a new thread is needed, topic, 'CBA rides'. So what yer plans were and what you got sorted/packed before the CBA kicked in...

It's great to know that so many of us have experienced this. I've had a few spells of it over the years and I think it'll be good for all to know that its not all about bagging a gazillion bivvies or ton ride every weekend.

It's good to know we are normal (to an extent...)

Instagram:

YouTube:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

It happened again here Jeff. I made no attempt to do anything bike related with my day off!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I'll resurrect this thread as I'd like to hear more from you Boners who have 'thrown the towel in'

I posted about this i the Rides section:

I've been off work since last Friday and have 2 weeks off. So I thought why not get one in seeing as I've worked hard the last few weeks getting my bathroom re-done. Also I've got a bling bit of Salsa kit to fix to the the handlebars. I'm also in a lockdown here in Wales but this was my exercise from the front door.
So I loaded up, faffed some more, kept checking the forecast but it wasn't going to change from biblical rain for the early hours. I set off on regular local trails, huffed and puffed, felt the cold after some very heavy showers (some of which were hail). I even got twated on the nose by my bars when lifting over a stile! I found a spot but changed my mind, searched some more but realising my heart wasn't in it.
And get this, I messaged the Mrs to say I'm ok blah blah for her to reply with 'I've been to the bakery, there's a chocolate eclair in the fridge for yer!' hmm? 'Nail in the coffin there' said the chimp on my shoulder!
Pics:
Image20201028_150038 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201028_155659 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

So come on then, get posting here with your 'failed' attempts of moments of CBA......

The eclair was lush btw :-bd

Instagram:

YouTube:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

After a sh!te month, I CBA'ed heading out this week for my BAM too.

I might drag myself out on Friday if the weather is ok.

Don't stress about it, we have nothing to prove mate
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:13 pm Don't stress about it, we have nothing to prove mate
Tbh I'm getting quite used to it now. I actually enjoyed being out on the loaded bike. Was good to get a bit of a night ride in too. Tonight would have been more of a bothy type of night...

Instagram:

YouTube:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Ah great I think this is going to be the right thread for me :-bd