... and so it continues.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: ... and so it continues.

Post by RIP »

Interesting.

Have you had any comments from the illustrious burghers of Pennant and environs about our proposed wanderings?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you had any comments from the illustrious burghers of Pennant and environs about our proposed wanderings?
No, they're all in hiding :wink:

Seriously - not really. I think that the change of tack this year should go a good way to making sure things remain on an even keel, especially as I imagine many folk will only be riding in groups of 2-3 and I imagine quite a few will be visiting the Towers by dropping down through the forest, so should remain largely unseen / noticed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

:YMPEACE: :YMHUG:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JackT

Post by JackT »

Basically everyone (well, maybe not _everyone_) who would normally be getting pissed up at a festival, in a town centre pub or club or in Magaluf is heading for the countryside instead. And many are causing a bit of a rumpus & leaving a mess, as they've been used to doing at festivals and town centres for years. It's all Covid19 related and will last as long as there are no festivals etc, and the good weather holds. That's how it needs to be understood & explained.

I just see it as a challenge to seek out even more remote, stealthy spots, leave no trace and clear up any mess I find, as far as I'm able.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Many folk up here have a self-imposed curfew for the same reason. For instance, trying to find somewhere safe to go for a swim but that also has parking available is all but impossible. Can't get near our usual cafes and tearooms. Car parks at all popular hill walks are full early on, many of them with campervans.

Yes. It stings
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah well, there's some benefit to living in a home counties shitole then :smile:

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's like this to an extent every year. It's one of the downsides of living somewhere that lots of folk want to visit. We all put up with it because we like where we live and it also provides employment, income for the area and thus a better/bigger range of services we use ourselves. TBH, I found it all a bit too quiet for a while in April/May when we'd normally be seeing more visitors.

What has made it so much worse this year is the fact we were restricted ourselves due to "lockdown" and then, just as things were freeing up a bit, there was a subsequent tidal wave of visitors.

Likely things will return to near normal next year.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Bellever has always been problematic, be interesting to see how they try and enforce it.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

jam bo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 am Bellever has always been problematic, be interesting to see how they try and enforce it.
Totally. I always thought it was odd that it was included in the permitted camping zone. The location has always attracted campers with less understanding of reducing their impact on the environment!
I wouldn’t be sorry to see the Bellever restrictions made permanent (at that location) I feel that as a nation (Scotland:Wales included) we don’t have the affinity with the natural world necessary for unrestricted camping at easily accessible roadside locations - the state of your average rural car park or picnic site gives evidence to that.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:22 pm Ah well, there's some benefit to living in a home counties shitole then :smile:
I feel just as good as fortunate. The pile of dog poo on the path(s) will never be looked at the same again...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

we don’t have the affinity with the natural world necessary for unrestricted camping at easily accessible roadside locations
ANPR camers might help with that

I tend to agree that we have a tiny minority happy to treat the countryside like a party zone other will clean up.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I wouldn’t be sorry to see the Bellever restrictions made permanent (at that location) I feel that as a nation (Scotland:Wales included) we don’t have the affinity with the natural world necessary for unrestricted camping at easily accessible roadside locations - the state of your average rural car park or picnic site gives evidence to that.
Quite possibly. However, an increase in legitimate use of an area can often / sometimes improve behaviour or prevent misuse. I've seen it in regeneration schemes and even at Stainburn, as legit user numbers increase the anti-social elements are put off and become less.

WRT Stainburn, I understand FC were keen to see increased legit use as it had been used on two occasions to dispose of murder victims. There maybe a degree of urban myth to that (though not the murders themselves). Our trails avoid one of the spots out of respect. Funny old world :|
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Curious extremes on today's ride. I basically did a circuit around Malham. On the trails, apart from the short bit around Malham Tarn, I saw maybe twenty people - about half on bikes. Even at the tarn there were maybe thirty max. Dropped down to Malham itself and it might as well have been Blackpool beach, somewhere between 500 & 700 cars parked up on the roadside and in various fields with a steady stream of more heading there. Rode out to Airton and the café there was about 1/3 full.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just saw that Manchester Evening News are running a news article about a “secret infinity pool in snowdonia“ that’s actually a small reservoir that supplies local people water.

The mind boggles, it really does with such irresponsible journalists
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 pm Just saw that Manchester Evening News are running a news article about a “secret infinity pool in snowdonia“ that’s actually a small reservoir that supplies local people water.

Aye, it was secret, and now curiously the whole of Manchester knows about it. Secret no longer. Sigh.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the article does not give away the location -though I am sure a quick google- or more likely search of instagram selfies will help you find it
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

On a slightly more positive note, I've heard the term "fly camping" used on the radio a couple of times recently to describe these idiots so at least a differentiation is starting to be made between them and us in some parts of the media.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

RIP wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:08 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 pm Just saw that Manchester Evening News are running a news article about a “secret infinity pool in snowdonia“ that’s actually a small reservoir that supplies local people water.

Aye, it was secret, and now curiously the whole of Manchester knows about it. Secret no longer. Sigh.
It was in the Liverpool Echo last year. 30 seconds later I'd Googled it and found it on Google maps.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Start typing "Snowdonia secret ..." and by the time you've done that the first suggestion is "Snowdonia secret infinity pool" :roll:

Just looking at the photos I knew where it was. I think it's actually the intake dam for a small hydro electric scheme that was done a few years ago.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I can confirm google does do that and the article mentioned above said it was for hydro and had an interveiw with the farmer who built it
Short version dont mind them but FFS take your things home with you and dont cost me money - which you are doing
Flycamping is a great term for those types
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Can I ask, who invented the term "fly camping"? Reg? It has your mark on it. We need to push this. I quite like the expression "wild camping" which to me just me not camping at a camp site. Yes?
I'm just going outside ...
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I suspect that it's related to fly tipping, and often leaves the same result.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

In the Lakes at the weekend at one of the Grizedale car parks. Van pulls up next to us, dirty feckers left a bag of (presume) human sub standard behind in the middle of the car park when they left. It wasn't a large bag & i was quite intrigued/impressed how they managed to squeeze it in there! Would have reported them if i'd have noticed the bag of abandoned toffee & got their reg before they literally scooted off..
Same car park, went for a wee in the bushes- more human crap, this time complete with wet-wipes & a face mask that had been used for toilet roll!!

I honestly don't get these sorts of people, they come to the countryside (i again presume) to enjoy the enviroment, but then sub standard it up ~X( x(
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

This year has highlighted to me how sub standard some people are.

Was a great believer of letting everyone 'in' on the secret places/bothys/hills/lakes etc etc but after the way some people are behaving, then the tide on my thoughts is turning (and that I believe is a great shame).

*took me about 10 minutes to find the secret pool, my google skills haven't reached ninja skills yet. This time last year, I would have been much more open minded to share these places but now I'm less inclined to think that way
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:46 pm Can I ask, who invented the term "fly camping"? Reg? It has your mark on it. We need to push this. I quite like the expression "wild camping" which to me just me not camping at a camp site. Yes?
I'd like to have coined it yes Tim, but I read it in an article somewhere and regurgitated it here a few days ago. So no original credits for Reg, but I like the idea that flies usually congregate round piles of substandard - in these cases their own it seems.