Shaky shaky alternaty

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr conners

Shaky shaky alternaty

Post by Mr conners »

I’ve searched the forum for alternative lightweight waterproofs to the shakedry but I can’t really say there is a definitive solution that I can see. My wife has one but I can’t afford it and I’m terrible at trashing stuff or losing it. Any recommendations for a summer waterproof that won’t break the bank. Packability and weight are the main requirement.
Cheers
P.s. We rode one of the Jennride routes last week. Bloody fantastic. We set off in the rain and it stopped after an hour, i then lugged my sailcloth Oilskin round for the rest of the ride so it’s prompted me to get spending.
ton

Re: Shaky shaky alternaty

Post by ton »

keela saxon.

https://www.keela.co.uk/saxon-jacket.html

possibly far better than any goretex.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I had a Keela Saxon. I don't think it ever kept me dry. It also resisted all my attempts to reproof it.
Outdry continues to prove its worth as a waterproof, but it is heavy and not especially breathable.
Shakedry is amazing, both for waterproofness and breathability. It's so light I'll pack it as a windproof even if there isn't rain forecast. Not very insulating though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I once considered my Rab smock irreplaceable but it finally gave up the ghost.....

So after a lot of research I got: ("packability and weight") a Marmot Essence, 190g: https://www.addnature.co.uk/marmot-esse ... fUQAvD_BwE

Managed to get mine 50% off in a sale - £89 I think it was. SportPursuit then did them even cheaper (thank you so much BDS...).

Highly recommend it. What I don't highly recommend is buying one, wearing it a short while later on last year's Winter Bivvy, catching a bad patch of ice, coming a cropper, sliding 10 feet down a rough lane on my side, shredding said jacket literally to ribbons, going home, buying another one the next day (amazingly still in the sale!).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

IMO - All* waterproofs need re proofing.
They are great for 2 or 3 rides then you wash them, re proof them and they are never as good as they first were

*Except Gore Shakedry
Or the cheaper, but bulkier and heavier Columbia Outdry

Both of the above are the only two water proofs that are fully waterproof (to my knowladge) that NEVER need re proofing.
My Outdry was one of the first in the country around 5 or 6 years ago, it's in constant use and is showing only a little bit of wear, but it's still 100% waterproof and as mentioned above has never needed re proofing.
I've recently bought a Gore Shakedry for lightweight and warmer rain and that's not let me down either
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I have the R7 Shakedry Trail jacket - it cost me £210 recently and served well last weekend on the YD300. It's less light (~200g) compared to the very very light version, but I see that as a plus - the material has some stiffness to it so it doesn't flap around too much in windy rain. Also, it feels reasonably substantial when whizzing past bushes and scraping through gates:

https://www.runnerinn.com/running/gore- ... 37228387/p
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Ton, that Keela jacket looks nice shame Landslide says they dont perform,
I find that most of the jackets recommended are great if you're an athletic
Fit, for me however being a little larger will be sticking with Paramo and Buffalo,
Just got another Fuera smock, they perform excellently in any weather,highly
Breathable, a cinch to reproof and an ethical company to boot. :-bd
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I'm a big fan of eVent fabric although options seem to be less common these days, my old Rab Demand was the best waterproof layer I've ever owned, but it gave up the ghost on my ML course a few years ago.

Currently using the OMM Aether smock which has been very good.

I also get on okay with Goretex PacLite, I think it might be better suited to riding than carrying a backpack so might be worth a look.

I had a touchy feel of some Shakedry goodies in Chamonix last year, I will try it one day but the prices are still a bit keen for me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shewie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am I'm a big fan of eVent fabric although options seem to be less common these days, my old Rab Demand was the best waterproof layer I've ever owned, but it gave up the ghost on my ML course a few years ago.
Another fan there :-bd . So's Stu if I remember rightly, Maybe we should Demand a re-make of the Demand :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Dean

Post by Dean »

Shewie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am i had a touchy feel of some Shakedry goodies in Chamonix last year, I will try it one day but the prices are still a bit keen for me.
I will happily pay for Shakedry, I just want it in a bright colour. Hoping that next Spring Gore will have something other than dark grey.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ton wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:31 pm keela saxon.

https://www.keela.co.uk/saxon-jacket.html

possibly far better than any goretex.
Got one last year and its rubbish - not waterproof beyond light rain and very sweaty.....
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Outdry update.

Not for cycling and not for me, but we've just bought the wife this Outdry longer jacket for walking in, it arrived today.

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have the original and first batch of outdry material in my "titanium" jacket

The newer material has a nicer, lighter and more flexible feel to my original one and doesn't feel like a fisherman's sou'wester any more.

They have added a coat hook which I always found lacking and better hood closures now too.

It's still heavier than the Gore Shakedry but it's going in the right direction but importantly it still feels as tough
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Pace 3x3 Event jacket? I had one for a few years, basic design with just a back pocket but really good fabric and tough and they retail at about £100. I’m not sure what it weighs but would fit in a back pocket, maybe 300gms.

I use an Alpkit Gravitas now, it is really light and works well, but the reproofing only lasts a couple of wears now before it starts wetting out.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Thanks for all the replies. The Outdry stuff seems like the cheapest and most waterproof option. However I cant seem to find any jacket weights on the Website. There are four i can see that would fit the bill but i don't want to buy something that's as heavy as my mountain equipment jacket that i currently use. Anybody got an outdry they can recommend?
Thanks.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have the EX Gold Techshell (Small) and that weighs in at 354g. I think the Reign is supposed to be lighter? But then there's also another, lighter version. 190g in a Medium apparently (no pit-zips though)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Mr conners wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am Thanks for all the replies. The Outdry stuff seems like the cheapest and most waterproof option. However I cant seem to find any jacket weights on the Website. There are four i can see that would fit the bill but i don't want to buy something that's as heavy as my mountain equipment jacket that i currently use. Anybody got an outdry they can recommend?
Thanks.
Don't forget the shakedry and Outdry will weigh the same before and after rain.
Jackets with a DWR that is not up to the job will soak up the water and "wet out" and therefore they will weigh more with the water added.

My medium original jacket weighs - 420g

It's not about the weight it's about staying dry all day and every day.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The lightweight one is noticeably thinner than the ones they mention- its has no pit zips but it does have
) Chest pockets you can open
2) two way zip so you can open it from the bottom

its also noticeably baggier than the same size heavier version but it still has that same sort of rubbery feel so I am assuming the material is fairly abrassion /impact resitant.
its not 190 g - I have mine at 250 g weight on gram scales and its a small

I have yet to wear it but i expect to be a tad too warm in summer and fine for spring and autumn - I will also use it walking and I think it will be excellent for that - then again you dont get as warm walking as cycling.-well I dont.
I also further assume given the bagginess i will easily get base layers under it and can use it all year round -might be a factor if you only want/need one jacket.
Its also able to be used with a rucksac and it does not look like it will rip if it encounters a thorn - I expect it to be warmer than a shakedry,heaveier but considerably more robust
No waterproof can cover all bases and I would have got shakedry if you could wear a rucksac and if i was not certain that at some point i would shred it in a crash/catch something

EDIT: As john notes the two best features of it are
1) It does not get heavier when wet
2) you can take it off leave it in a crumbled heap on the floor of your tent get up the next day and the inner is still dry
I dont think the perfect lightweigth fully breathable and tough jacket exists
Last edited by Lazarus on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Your typing is getting ever more erratic Laz mate, are you alright there? Owt we can do to help? :grin: . It's even more unintelligible than some of mine, and that's saying something. I mean "tgot's soyingsa mething" :grin: .

ton

Post by ton »

what is the sizing like on the outdry stuff ?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

are you alright there?
Mate i live in an island surrounded by locallockdowns, its summer holidays and i have two teenage boys - no its not ok here - you :wink:
Well its a mixture of ,dyslexia and a knackered spell checker - I cannot get it to reinstall [and its specfic to me ] nor the standard one either .I need to take the laptop somewhere but company is currently closed. Bear with me- and i shall try harder as that was pretty bad.

@TON Sizing does seem erratic but you will want the biggest

Eg the small in the titanium is very tight on my waist - one smaller would not fit me
the lightweight one I could have sized down and its bigger in all dimensions than the other small - even the sleeves are longer and i could easily wear it over the other small one - perhaps they have increased sizes over the years?
I
RIP

Post by RIP »

two teenage boys - ah :smile: Are they showing any interest in the Noble Art of Bikepacking?

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

they will watch youtube videos on it :wink:
They will go but they wont be doing an ITT anytime soon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:39 pm they will watch youtube videos on it :wink:
This sounds very familiar :grin: . Wishing you a Cheery Friday 'under the circumstances' then :-bd .

Quite useful on a Fri evening for V+ relaxation/distraction: http://www.barnivore.com/beer

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

FFS they are hard enough to mange sober i am not getting them pissed :grin:

handy link though so ta