Coffee bags or other options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mattpage

Coffee bags or other options

Post by mattpage »

What do people use on multi-day trips?

On more leisurely trips currently I just use ground beans and a jetboil coffee press that fits in the mug I use nicely.
But I know some people who use coffee pads and I guess they are a bit simpler maybe?

What do others do and those who use bags, is there anything you can get that is actually good and reasonably fresh?
techno

Re: Coffee bags or other options

Post by techno »

taylors hot java are awful.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

techno wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm taylors hot java are awful.
Noted! :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

mattpage wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:07 pm
techno wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm taylors hot java are awful.
Noted! :lol:
aye, don't waste your money on those. I'll be keeping an eye on this myself. :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

There's another thread on here somewhere that mentions these: https://www.sportsbarista.com/products/coffee-bags. Apparantly fine tasting and with a significant kick (but not yet tried by myself :roll: ).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

At home I have an espresso machine which I love, so I can cope with less tasty coffee when I am away. Not quite Nescafe, but I just get some of those cappuccino or latte sachets from the supermarket. They are pretty tasty and give me the caffeine hit I can't start the day without. They do. My espresso tastes all the better when I get home.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Usually instant in a ziplock bag for me mostly, as i'm happy enough with any old hot drink with caffeine when camping. As borderer says, happy to wait for a stop or home for a nice coffee. Go Full Pannier.cc and take a Moka pot :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The world is your oyster, my decaffeinated friend: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15697
slarge

Post by slarge »

Matt, you are bursting the bubble. You are meant to be elite fast rider mtb expert type person. Not "what's the best hipster coffee" type person.....

I guess you can always edit this thread to "gofaster bags or other options" :-bd
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

If you don't mind a bit of Colombian, then these are actually ok & worth a blast..

It's a drip jobbie rather than a bag though..

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... e-bags-x10
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Scud

Post by Scud »

It was me above that mentioned the Sports Barista bags, unlike Taylors, they don't taste like a poor imitation of the ground coffee, they have 300g caffeine kick too, just make sure you leave in hot water for a good 3-4 mins.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've mostly been a tea drinker all my life but I do enjoy a "real" coffee now and again and I used Percol coffee bags when bikepacking and found them acceptable (certainly better than instant coffee). About six months ago I treated myself to an Aeropress and have now become a bit of a coffee wan*er (as well as a gravelwan*er :lol: )so I'm not sure if the coffee bags will cut the mustard anymore. If I ever manage another bikepacking trip I'll find out. :roll:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

If I'm going really lightweight, but still taking a stove, I'll just grind enough beans for the trip and make it cowboy style.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve found cowboy coffee superior to all the filter and bag options I’ve tried. And it means less kit and less rubbish. Don’t bother with anything else when out on my bike these days.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I have proper coffee at home and used to take coffee bags out but it just seemed to much to carry out and back until I could find a bin so I tried some lavazza instant and was pleasantly surprised, I just take some in a little container and bobs your uncle.
What's the worst than can happen?
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Hotel and B&B sachets of coffee and sugar, very simple very light and take up no room :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Allow me to introduce the GSI Java Drip Ultralight: https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/GSI_Outdoor ... Java_Drip/

I’ve used this for years, it does mean you need a second water receptacle, either to pour from or pour into, but a water bottle won’t die with a mild exposure to boiling water.

I take just enough ground beans for the duration of my trip, but if you have the luxury of a bit more space they also do a portable grinder that’s pretty robust.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Or try your own ground beans in a reusable tea pouch (both reusable or paper disposable options) I get mine from Amazon

That way you can have the coffee you like best :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Grind beans fresh/the day before going and use a reusable tea pouch is a good call.

If you already take a cup in addition to a pot for boiling water, I’ve found making “cowboy coffee” and gently decanting it into the cup (the grinds sink the the bottom and stay there if you’re gentle) surprisingly smooth and good.

I use the same ratio, brew time and grind size I would use for a French press/cafetière - basically this method here

The coffee bags etc are always subpar coffee that is way beyond not-fresh - in the coffee industry we consider beans best about 2 weeks after roasting, starting to deteriorate badly after 6 weeks. For ground stuff, most cafes (even the crap ones) won’t make a coffee with grinds if they were ground more than 15 minutes ago. Obviously not every customer has a decent grinder at home, so grinding fresh beans for customers is the best solution for them - but generally we consider them “fresh” for less than a day, and “fine” for a week or two. You won’t get sick, so best before dates are generous - but coffee ground more than a couple of weeks ago is very stale. This is why most supermarket coffees taste kind of the same and distinguish differences of “strength” (which usually correlate to how much they burnt the beans when roasting to create a “dark earthy flavor) instead of by origin, flavor notes and roast techniques.

The preground bags suffer all of those problems, and in addition to being extra expensive they also underdose you. I noticed people complaining they were oft weak - so I looked into it and they’re usually 7-9g doses, which is less than half the dose of coffee in a standard americano.

However if you don’t really mind and just like the caffeine the convenience seems appealing. But if it’s about convenience and caffeine, lets cut the BS and use instant maybe.
composite

Post by composite »

I guess this doesn't really answer the question but I use the Orleib coffee filter holder.
My quick review.
Andiphim

Post by Andiphim »

I have been using these coffee bags I found on Amazon.
I fill them with freshly ground coffee of my choice before I go, seal the top with an old pair of hair straighteners(not mine)and then tear off the top to use.
They take some time to pour but you can choose your own coffee and how much to fill the bag.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EqA7p ... 1920-h1080

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EqA7p ... 1920-h1080
Boab

Post by Boab »

Andiphim wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:28 am Image
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I just make a cowboy coffee. It's light on kit and strong on taste (TM!). I have a 400ml mug to boil water. That goes into a cosy when boiled, I stir in 2 good sporkfulls of fine-ground coffee, stir well. Pause a minute, re-stir. Pause again, re-stir. Give it a minute. By then it should have settled and you can pour off the top into a plastic cup to drink w/o the sediment coming through as you drink. It makes a good strong brew with some crema on top. It's not the fastest brew but it's not a lot different to a moka pot or aeropress at home either. If I want fast it's water and proplus...

I've always been a bit disappointed by drips tbh, either weak coffee or it's often getting cold by the time it's filtered through.
Last edited by jameso on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks to this thread I've just bought a coffee grinder (mostly for use at home not while bikepacking). :roll: :lol:
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Toying with the idea too now, what grinder did you go for?