What does the word "Bikepacking" mean to you?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: What does the word "Bikepacking" mean to you?

Post by jameso »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:18 pm
rudedog wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:10 pm Freedom (just noticed Norm has said this same with a few more words)

Yes, but Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
:-bd (do like that song)
Last edited by jameso on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Well put Stuart. Sums up how I see it these days better than I could have put it. I did think about whether I was bikepacking, audax touring or roadpacking during the last few in Wales. For about 2 mins. Decided I didn't care, was simply travelling by bike. I felt free, that's for sure.

Cheddarman, the term 'bikepacking' goes back to the 70s or early 80s, you can drop the cynicism if you like :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, but Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Don't tell that to your countrymen Colin, they'll be gutted :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Famous son of Scotland Frankie Boyle (love him to bits): "“Nobody thought Mel Gibson could play a Scot but look at him now! Alcoholic and a racist!”

(to spike any complaints, Frankie's already ahead: "“If you get offended by any jokes, by the way, feel free to Tweet your outrage on a mobile phone made by a ten year old in China.”)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bikepacking is touring with an axe. :cool:
mark

Post by mark »

Going for a bike ride and taking a long time to finish.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 pm Bikepacking is touring with an axe. :cool:
Reminds me that I saw this picture the other day while I was researching MYOG frame bag designs:
https://restrap.com/products/custom-frame-bag-1

:roll:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 am
In Reverse wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 pm Bikepacking is touring with an axe. :cool:
Reminds me that I saw this picture the other day while I was researching MYOG frame bag designs:
https://restrap.com/products/custom-frame-bag-1

:roll:
Well well :lol:

When's it due to arrive?
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

Cycling+nature+wild camping.

Just three of my favourite things.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If I make gratuitous use of accommodation, I tend to think I'm touring, if I'm out under the tarp I tend to think its bike packing. Just bashed out 350 miles in 4 days. Mostly on road, some good tracks, some shockers and two days in the middle spent at friends doing some mountainbiking and drinking. I bivvied twice. I was on the grovel bike - was I bikepacking or touring? Don't know, don't care. I passed two dudes yesterday on trad tourers with front and rear panniers - maybe they were touring...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

What does the word "Bikepacking" mean to you?

To me it's an escape from the normal, an excuse to exercise without feeling like I'm exercising as I hate exercising.

I love watching the sky, clouds, stars and satellites roll past, watch the sun setting and rising.

None of which (apart from the clouds) I can see from my house in the town
Verena

Post by Verena »

The song "running to.the hills" by Dan Owen kind of describes it nicely for me. Obvs cycling instead of running.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Escape
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Cheddar Man wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:26 pm Surely 'Bikepacking' is nothing more than a clever notion dreamt up by some poncey hipster marketeer to flog trendy nobbers, affluent middle- aged middle-classed ex-golfers, or old-duffers with more money than sense a ton of stuff that they didn't realise they needed until someone invented 'Bikepacking' isn't it?

Seriously, I went on my first bike tour in 1981, (a drop bar Raleigh Record Ace in gold as you ask)around the lanes and byways of Buckinghamshire with a couple of mates. What I have done in the intervening years has been on hardtail mtb's, a Dawes Galaxy, a full suss mtb, and a carbon road bike (that was a hoot). Now it seems it's called 'Bikepacking', well there you go! It's just cycle-touring, that is all it is. Everything else is marketting guff.

Seriously, I am on a rant now.............. I know people who would rather have their spleen removed than have a bike with a saddlebag on, they had to have a trendy courier type bag. Now Bikepacking saddle bags are out, they are fighting for the biggest capacity, most straps and hanging points and reflectivity. It's still a bloody saddle bag, the very thing 12 months ago you wouldn't have gone near with a shi77y stick....... nobbers :roll:
For me it’s getting away from noise like this ^

A bit of peace.
Time away from the ordinary.
Sometimes a time for solitude. Sometimes a time for the company of old friends or new.
It’s the environment, the challenge, the weather. And (sorry Lance) it’s definitely about the bike - Seriously, any bike.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC